Grade the blockbuster trade

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
man o man...i've been biting my tongue for a bit but fell like ranting...

i love this trade. i've probably watched 300 or so of Evanders games. I adopted ATL as my 2nd team when moving here, had season tix for years and continued to follow them after the move as my WC team since 'my guys' were still on the team. so much 'agenda' and uninformed opinions going down based on 'stats' and hearsay and obvious limited viewings.

the kid has all of the talent in the world, it was obvious when he broke in. I couldnt give a **** about him already being around for 6 years, he's 23...23 with 350+ games under his belt. and he he still has filling out to do before he truly becomes a MAN. a PRO. 26, 27, 28. his ability is dynamic. people are really pulling out Ennis comparables? similar to Stewart? jesus. you only need eyes to realize he can be on a totally different tier to those players.

but, but. but he's a 3rd liner? no, he's added a dimension of being hard to play against 5o5 and PKing to his game, not necessarily a demotion....at 23. sounds like development to me.

and lets not pretend ATL/WPG has been a quality organization. he's played with who again? not Little, Ladd or Wheeler and probably thrown into the fire too soon.

people want to pull out gut feel, and hearsay, and injuries...thats fine, but dont talk as if theyre absolutes. not worried one bit about character after hearing some of the 'other' things that have gone down in that organization...a ****ing mess.

take a step back and yes, think about the potential that has been acquired, because that ceiling is still there, and very attainable in my eyes.

carry on.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You guys say all Kane needs is a good center. So why cant Stewart return to form with a good young rookie center as well?

Stewart could and probably would put up 55 pts with McEichel at center. And he still would not be a guy you trust or a guy smart enough to do all the hockey things that actually win games, you thick-headed neanderthal. You know the parable, look up what that word means, about how you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink? Well sometimes you should just shoot the horse and put it out of its misery.

I know mods, I'll walk myself out. No need throw me.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
It was in context about advanced stats.. god damn you are useless for comprehending.

you're best comparison to Evander Kane was Tony Romo as to why you don't think he's very good. And you don't think you have something wrong with your argument. Let alone the advance stats of Tony Romo suggest that he's a good QB not a great one. This year he was great, yes. But Peyton Manning was great the 2 years before and didn't win a superbowl. Why? Because advance stats suggested that their team defensive was so bad that it was near impossible for them to win it all. Now with Kane, all his individual advance stats suggest he's an great to elite winger. Just like advance stats would predict lower production levels in terms of points and wins due to crap linemates and poor goaltending for Kane.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's the ONLY way that Kane and Stewart are comparable. They are TOTALLY different players.
Both have had one 30 goal season. One apparently can return to form under the Sabres with a center like McDavid and one can't because he's lazy.

I compared them because both have had one 30 goal season, yet one is hopeless and the other is a god send apparently.

Next year watching I cant wait to see this 50 point god take form on the Sabres.

ZeroPT*

Stafford and Grabner are similar because they've both had a 30 goal season

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
As stupid as his argument is ... the whole 2 black guy argument is just as stupid.

He's being accused of being racist and he hasn't even slightly hinted to race being a factor.

I know everyone wants to win the internet argument but come on...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
As stupid as his argument is ... the whole 2 black guy argument is just as stupid.

He's being accused of being racist and he hasn't even slightly hinted to race being a factor.

I know everyone wants to win the internet argument but come on...

Agreed. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with race. I think some people are just so blown away by the concept that someone could compare Stewart and Kane as players that they can't fully accept the idea that it is based on generalities like pwf and similar point totals in a given year.

ZeroPT*

He said this

Nothing about their game being similar.

Just stop.

that's total semantics and you know it.
Let me compare these two players because they both had a 30 goal season even though they're completely different.

Happy?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
that's total semantics and you know it.
Let me compare these two players because they both had a 30 goal season even though they're completely different.

Happy?

No...not if you're going to continue with your ridiculous argument.

ZeroPT*

No...not if you're going to continue with your ridiculous argument.

My argument is that Stewart and Kane are completely different players and somehow it's seen as ridiculous?
sick

There's only one person in this thread who has a ridiculous argument.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'll just let things be. If I eat crow next year so be it. I rather eat crow then have one person negatively effect my entire team. The risk of this trade scares me. I can't let another organization one up my team so Kane better show and prove.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
My argument is that Stewart and Kane are completely different players and somehow it's seen as ridiculous?

sick

No... that's a fine argument. The whole race thing was completely off base.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I'll just let things be. If I eat crow next year so be it. I rather eat crow then have one person negatively effect my entire team. The risk of this trade scares me. I can't let another organization one up my team so Kane better show and prove.

All of Kane's drama on both sides simply look like a chemistry issue. Some players just aren't the right fit for an organization and vice versa. This isn't the first nor the worst situation of this type to happen in the league. It won't be the last. He's talented as hell and it's on him to take the reins on a team where he can carve out a path for himself. Kane has a blank canvas to work with. In the grand scheme of things, none of what we lost was critical for this team's future. It's the beauty of having any overabundance of prospects and assets to work with. Armia, Lemeuix, and the first could all pan out to be great. But it still doesn't mean the ridiculous amount we have left won't.

Whether we overpaid or not, Kane and Bogo are two awesome acquisitions for this team. Stylistically, if they decide to keep Nolan around for next season, these are the type of creative players that thrive under him.

Watch him become Ville Leino 2.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
So, I guess how you'd evaluate it is this: if in a year (more? I could see waiting longer cut either way), Kane is anywhere but the top line and putting up ~50 points, similar to Ennis, bogosian is on the middle pair, ie, playing lesser minutes than ristolainen, and Myers is the 1D in Winnipeg, then I'd say yeah, this was a deal where I would trade back Kane and bogosian for Myers.

This is pretty much what these guys were doing in the peg and about what I expect out of Myers, so I don't think it's that crazy.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So, I guess how you'd evaluate it is this: if in a year (more? I could see waiting longer cut either way), Kane is anywhere but the top line and putting up ~50 points, similar to Ennis, bogosian is on the middle pair, ie, playing lesser minutes than ristolainen, and Myers is the 1D in Winnipeg, then I'd say yeah, this was a deal where I would trade back Kane and bogosian for Myers.

This is pretty much what these guys were doing in the peg and about what I expect out of Myers, so I don't think it's that crazy.

What if Risto is playing top pair better than Myers?

Then bogo or Myers would be in the same role, and thus we got Kane for secondary prospects. Which even if he's "only" the 50 point player (that ennis has never been), we win the trade

*note: this lazy premise ignores all the other components of Kane's game that we lack.

Note: bogo was playing same defensive role as Myers in peg (obviously not as difficult a situation, but he was significantly better statistically as well - GA per 60)

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What if Risto is playing top pair better than Myers?

Then bogo or Myers would be in the same role, and thus we got Kane for secondary prospects. Which even if he's "only" the 50 point player (that ennis has never been), we win the trade

*note: this lazy premise ignores all the other components of Kane's game that we lack.

Possible, but Winnipeg's blue line is stacked. If Myers player his way into the #1 guy there, ristolainen is quite ahead of his time to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad