Grabovski and Kulemin Sign with NYI

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Oh that's comedy gold right there. Grabo is a hilarious guy but that was gold!

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I just wanted to say, that video was hilarious, classic Grabo. It made me realize how much I miss that guy, he was so fun to watch! To think we could have had him locked up for 5.5M instead of Clarkson locked up at 5.25M -- 0.25M difference. That hurts to think about...

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This just shows how bad the Leafs buyouts were. We buyout a guy who's now being paid .5M less, so we could have just took on 500K in the cap hit and traded him for an 8th round pick or something...

And then we use our second compliance buyout on a guy with a year left on his deal...

Then, we use an actual buyout with a caphit on Gleason... Whereas, if we just bought out Liles and traded Grabo and let Komi's deal expire.. we'd have more cap space & a compliance buyout left - which could be used on Clarkson...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I just wanted to say, that video was hilarious, classic Grabo. It made me realize how much I miss that guy, he was so fun to watch! To think we could have had him locked up for 5.5M instead of Clarkson locked up at 5.25M -- 0.25M difference. That hurts to think about...

Has anyone figured out yet what he said?

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
This just shows how bad the Leafs buyouts were. We buyout a guy who's now being paid .5M less, so we could have just took on 500K in the cap hit and traded him for an 8th round pick or something...

And then we use our second compliance buyout on a guy with a year left on his deal...

Then, we use an actual buyout with a caphit on Gleason... Whereas, if we just bought out Liles and traded Grabo and let Komi's deal expire.. we'd have more cap space & a compliance buyout left - which could be used on Clarkson...

Well I mean that's easy to say in hindsight. It's not like Nonis was going to be like 'hmm, I'm going to sign Clarkson to a long-term deal, I better keep an extra compliance buyout because this deal could surely turn out to be ****'

If he thought the deal could turn out to be a disaster (which yes, I agree he should have been able to figure out) then he simply should not have signed him in the first place thats what the real problem is. He simply should have never signed Clarkson to that contract in the first place. He should have held on to the extra buyout to decide later on if Grabo should be bought out. Surely, a player like Grabo deserved another year to rebound.

However, it could have easily worked out that way if he did, like you said, traded Grabo. It's hard to imagine why a trade couldn't get done with say the Isles when Garth was ready to give out the contract he did to both Kuley and Grabo. Which wasn't too far away from the contract that was said to be 'unmovable'.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well I mean that's easy to say in hindsight. It's not like Nonis was going to be like 'hmm, I'm going to sign Clarkson to a long-term deal, I better keep an extra compliance buyout because this deal could surely turn out to be ****'

If he thought the deal could turn out to be a disaster (which yes, I agree he should have been able to figure out) then he simply should not have signed him in the first place thats what the real problem is. He simply should have never signed Clarkson to that contract in the first place. He should have held on to the extra buyout to decide later on if Grabo should be bought out. Surely, a player like Grabo deserved another year to rebound.

However, it could have easily worked out that way if he did, like you said, traded Grabo. It's hard to imagine why a trade couldn't get done with say the Isles when Garth was ready to give out the contract he did to both Kuley and Grabo. Which wasn't too far away from the contract that was said to be 'unmovable'.

It's easy to say in hindsight, but it was also considered a bad move at the time. A lot of people were questioning why you would use a compliance buyout on a player with ONE year left on the deal. If anything, he could have just split the hit in half (take half the cap hit), and trade Komi to a team trying to reach the cap floor, and offer them a mid round draft pick. But, the best case scenario would have been to not use a compliance buyout on Komi in the first place.

Everyone knew there was no room for Liles though, the Leafs had Rielly & Gardiner at that point, AND Franson and Phaneuf were also capable offensive D-man. We didn't need 5 offensive D-men, instead we traded him and bought out the guy we got in return, so we could have easily just bought him out and got rid of the other 2 via trade. That way we would still have had a compliance buyout to use this summer if we needed to. Those were my prevailing theories at the time of the buyouts as well, so this isn't looking back - looking back just makes it seem that much smarter.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Nope, that Clarkson contract was signed under the NEW CBA, doesn't qualify for a compliance buyout! Sorry!

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Isles fan here.

Was the Grabo buyout mostly based on he and Carlye not getting along?
Thanks

nope. we bought him out cause we were going to sign clarkson. he was our third line center after bozak and kadri. it made no sense to pay a third line center 5.5M.

the hatred between him and the coach came out after he was bought out. nothing happened before.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Isles fan here.

Was the Grabo buyout mostly based on he and Carlye not getting along?
Thanks

Kadri outplayed him and took the #2c spot from Grabovski.

Grabbo made too much to be a number 3, so he either had to move to Bozak's spot on the first line or be moved out. Leafs chose to keep Bozak there.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Could care less really.

Just because we like him doesn't mean a 3rd line guy w/ no offensive output is worth north of 4M.

There was never a way Kulie was staying here on a deal that made sense

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It should be pretty obvious that there was a rift between Garbo and Carlyle during the season. His icetime was slashed considerably and he was given little opprtunity to win back his spot. Grabos bitter outburst didnt just come out of thin air.

hockeyfanz*

Could care less really.

Just because we like him doesn't mean a 3rd line guy w/ no offensive output is worth north of 4M.

Yes unlike David Clarkson.

What do they like to say here in HF Boards?

Grass is always greener...

Kulemin is not good enough so we'll bring in this slug from another organization and pay him EVEN MORE!!!!

That'll show em.

Good job!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Could care less really.

Leafs are paying Kulemin's replacement Komarov 4 years at nearly $3 mil.

Komarov is 28 and has career NHL totals of 4-5-9 points in 42 games [8 goals 18 point pace in 82 games]

Kulemin has 10X that in NHL experience of > 400 NHL games and would have likely taken that Komarov contract in a heartbeat considering it would be a raise from his $2.8 mil he was making.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Leafs are paying Kulemin's replacement Komarov 4 years at nearly $3 mil.

Komarov is 28 and has career NHL totals of 4-5-9 points in 42 games [8 goals 18 point pace in 82 games]

Kulemin has 10X that in NHL experience of > 400 NHL games and would have likely taken that Komarov contract in a heartbeat considering it would be a raise from his $2.8 mil he was making.

Komarov is the better player for the respective role either would've played on our team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Komarov is the better player for the respective role either would've played on our team.

That remains to be seen. Age 28 and only 42 NHL games to his name to date and 9 NHL points isn't a lot to base that "better player" belief on at present.

Komarov has some intangibles like irritation in his toolbox, but we may not get a lot of offense here but rather a checker and grinder and PK player. Leafs are certainly banking on quite an impact from Leo with that contract.

A betting man would say Kulemin will outscore Komarov next season.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
That remains to be seen. Age 28 and only 42 NHL games to his name to date and 9 NHL points isn't a lot to base that "better player" belief on at present.

Komarov has some intangibles like irritation in his toolbox, but we may not get a lot of offense here but rather a checker and grinder and PK player. Leafs are certainly banking on quite an impact from Leo with that contract.

A betting man would say Kulemin will outscore Komarov next season.

Kulemin is better in every conceivable way, except for 'agitation' -- whatever that means.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
NYI and Toronto only finished 5 points apart last year 79 to 84 points.

Kulemin and Grabovski are going to highly motivated to push Isles past the Leafs and they have good chemistry together.

They are likely to get 2nd line minutes and more TOI/g then they received as Leafs in their final years. In 2010-11 Grabs and Kully finished 3rd and 4th in Leaf scoring.

and that was without Johny Tav for their last 23 games, a guy who actually had an injury.

atleast they do not have to try and make up excesses over there.

#1 star C missed last 23 games and budget at the cap floor.

and we managed to beat them by only 5 pints in the standings

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kulemin is better in every conceivable way, except for 'agitation' -- whatever that means.

At present the plan in NY is to play Grabovski and Kulemin on the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit.

That is likely going to make them very productive statistically.

When they played on Leafs 2nd line in 2010-11 they finished 3rd and 4th in Leafs scoring with 58 and 57 points by receiving that level of TOI/g and PP opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad