Grabovski and Kulemin Sign with NYI

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
I really hope they kill it in NYI and Nonis eats his hat.

I'm honestly hoping to see the same. Two of my favourite Leafs given horrible situations to play in, then let go for nothing when they didn't bring results.

I know a lot of Leafs fans are glad they're gone, but I'll be rooting for them. If Kulemin is given a more offensive role in NYI I think he'll have a great year. He has a fantastic shot when he's able to use it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I miss these guys already.

They appeared in one playoff round for the Leafs, we should build a statue for them. :sarcasm:

While I do think that Grabo is a good player and was misused by RC, Burke was way off his rocker when he overpaid for him. And Kulie, he is nothing special. I am not going to miss him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm honestly hoping to see the same. Two of my favourite Leafs given horrible situations to play in, then let go for nothing when they didn't bring results.

I know a lot of Leafs fans are glad they're gone, but I'll be rooting for them. If Kulemin is given a more offensive role in NYI I think he'll have a great year. He has a fantastic shot when he's able to use it.

Nonis did well not giving in and signing him at 4 mil a year. Kulemin got his shots off last year but unfortunately for him and the team most of them were right at the crest of the goalie..Kulemin hasn't done **** for 2-3 years now. He had that 1 break out year and people's expectations went nuts. He is what he is. He'll provide a hustle game with a defensive game along with 10-15 goals a year. Not 4 mil worth.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It's unreal that people can't let go of Kulemin... he had one good season and that's it. He is not that player. Does he even add more than someone like Komarov? if you gave Komarov 2nd/3rd line minutes i'm fairly sure that he'd put up more than the 20 points a season that Kulemin puts up, plus he'd be even more physical, draw more penalties and kill just as many.

The Grabovski buyout however was a Pejorative Slured move. We wasted a buyout we could have used on Liles and now we have dead cap space from Gleason because of it. We also wasted decent draft picks for Bolland who played like 15 uninjured games for us and then left. And we wasted the buyout money on Clarkson, who could put up 40 points for the next two seasons and be physical and still have an awful contract because we're stuck with him at 5.25 until he's 36.

It's funny because in a way they're like opposites. Kulemin has only had one good year and yet everyone acts like he's so great. On the other hand Grabovski only had one bad year and yet everyone acts like he sucks. I wish we still had Grabovski on this team, couldnt care less about Kulemin especially at the laughable 4.2m he got. Good luck to them but im not really bothered, but we all know if they score at even a decent rate because they're getting 2nd line minutes and PP time on a team with no depth whatsoever then we'll never hear the end of it

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Lol I understand the hate for Carlyle but why Nonis? He didn't do anything to them other than buying out an overpaid contract and not paying 4.2 mil to resign someone that was paying 3rd line...

MajorityRules*

It's too funny watching the same posters who constantly criticize this team for being a bad team now crying over a couple of useless players who weren't going to get this team any closer to a Stanley Cup push. The same posters who constantly remind everyone to love the jersey, not the player wearing it. Good luck to them in NY but really, who gives a crap. They're gone. SEE YA!!!!

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
The guys who are always saying that Grabovski (and CMac) sucks are the same guys who were posting crap like this a year ago and telling us what a genius Randy Carlyle was. Excuse us if we don't take you seriously.

picture.php

Last edited:

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Lol I understand the hate for Carlyle but why Nonis? He didn't do anything to them other than buying out an overpaid contract and not paying 4.2 mil to resign someone that was paying 3rd line...

Nonis paid Clarkson 5.25mil based on one good season and inflated corsi stats brought on playing on a top line that fed him pucks. Kulemin for 4.2mil would have been a better complement on the 2nd line with kadri due to his impressive two-way game, size, and puck protection. What Kulemin stats do not suggest is that he had heavy defensive duties, If he had stable 2nd line minutes with Kadri and Lupul with fewer defensive assignments on the pk, he would have easily gotten 40 points.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nonis paid Clarkson 5.25mil based on one good season and inflated corsi stats brought on playing on a top line that fed him pucks. Kulemin for 4.2mil would have been a better complement on the 2nd line with kadri due to his impressive two-way game, size, and puck protection. What Kulemin stats do not suggest is that he had heavy defensive duties, If he had stable 2nd line minutes with Kadri and Lupul with fewer defensive assignments on the pk, he would have easily gotten 40 points.

A little funny you make excuses for Kulemin but Clarkson gets beat down.

Kulemin had one good season himself with plenty of opportunities to get back to his one good season. He crapped the bed every time.

He's a good player, heck I'd take him over Clarkson for the salaries, but let's not pretend like he wasn't given plenty of chances to get back to his former self. He was a black hole offensively and was very lucky to have achieved a 30 goal season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Kulemin had one good season himself with plenty of opportunities to get back to his one good season. He crapped the bed every time.

He's a good player, heck I'd take him over Clarkson for the salaries, but let's not pretend like he wasn't given plenty of chances to get back to his former self. He was a black hole offensively and was very lucky to have achieved a 30 goal season.

Something went wrong with him after that plane crash. I noticed he was doing much better when on the 2nd line last season though. It's Unfortunate circumstances but the 4.2m is indeed better than 5.2 for Clarkson, that being said I would want 3m x1 to see if he continues to improve(which would never happen as far as a 1yr contract goes).

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

It is pretty easy to defend him. Let's look at the stats.

Since Carlyle took the reins, he was not given opportunities. He had 34.9% in offensive starts and 46.9% in defensive starts. This would indicate his intensive defensive responsibilities, No one is expecting him to be a 30 goal sniper. He got 23 points in 48 games in a shortened season (which can prorate to 37-40 points in a full season) where he had 35.5% in offensive starts and 44.3% in defensive starts. In the shortened season, he had the 3rd highest corsi stats in both rel qoc and normal qoc. Last season, Kulemin had 3rd highest qoc corsi and 6th highest qoc relative corsi.

Pk: JAY MCCLEMENT NIKOLAI KULEMIN DION PHANEUF CARL GUNNARSSON 14.6% - Taken from leftwing lock

Oh hey, he's on the first pk unit.

tl;dr?: Kulemin had tough defensive assignments and if his minutes consist of mostly PK and 3rd-line, he will not have desirable minutes in the attacking zone.

When he was on the line with Kadri and Lupul, he looked decent. He definitely was not a black hole on that line. He can skate, protect the puck, and unlike Clarkson, can stand on his skates without falling over. That, with his defensive acumen would have complemented the 2nd line more. I think he is capable of hitting 40 points. He obviously needs more minutes on the pp and fewer defensive assignments to accomplish that.

I beat Clarkson down because he is not worth 5.25mil and I rather have the guy who complements the 2nd line. Clarkson would need to net 40-45 points to justify that cap hit and it is not likely he does. For 5.25mil, a smart GM should be able to find a guy that can yield 37-40 points with an above-average defensive game on the 2nd line. 5.25mil allocated for an offensive 2nd line player when the team already has one is not prudent - We have Lupul for that. Also, by signing Clarkson to that contract, it ties up money that could have been spent on Kulemin or used to keep Grabovski who is good at faceoffs and the PK.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I really hope they do well as I liked them as players. That being said at the prices I am not broken up to see them go. They are great secondary players but nothing you can't find replacements for.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why is there a thread for two non-Leaf signings?

Mods, please move to Main Board, or Islanders Board

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Kulemin actually has NHL talent. You can argue about whether he's a 3rd liner vs a 2nd liner, but regardless, he can contribute. Clarkson on the other hand belongs in the AHL. He is barely a better hockey player than Colton Orr. Kulemin has never even been close to that bad.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I liked them both, Grabo a bit more so.

It will be interesting to see if a team really can win with both of them or not.
Will the NYI make a play for CMac next off-season?

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
I liked Kulemin but not at his current price tag, letting him go was a no brainer. Grabovski on the other hand represents a completely wasted asset and talent by both coaching and management. Losing him was bad enough, losing him for nothing made it worse, burning a valuable amnesty in the process made it a complete disaster.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
They were 2/3rds of a pretty solid line together. They're a tad-bit overpaid but they played well for Toronto. Good luck on the Island

Islanders have been an enigma team for some time. No doubt its largely due to ownership.

Having said this, I'm curious to see what they do this year. They been getting high draft picks ostensibly forever. Will they eventually start putting it together and have a competitive/successful team - who knows?

hockeyfanz*

Kulemin actually has NHL talent. You can argue about whether he's a 3rd liner vs a 2nd liner, but regardless, he can contribute. Clarkson on the other hand belongs in the AHL. He is barely a better hockey player than Colton Orr. Kulemin has never even been close to that bad.

I was never a big Kulemin guy for sure. I thought as usual this guy was overhyped by the fanbase. Same guys saying he was a chump were calling him Bob Gainey a couple of years ago. Thats how it goes in Leafs Nation.

But to compare him to David Clarkson is an absolute joke. That's the kind of talent/skill evaluation that would be done by the likes of Brian Burke and his disciples.

Absolutely clueless.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Why is there a thread for two non-Leaf signings?

Mods, please move to Main Board, or Islanders Board

I'm pretty sure Kulemin was the longest tenured Leaf on the team and hasn't played a game in the new uniform yet. What's the big deal?

I liked them both, Grabo a bit more so.

It will be interesting to see if a team really can win with both of them or not.
Will the NYI make a play for CMac next off-season?

Same. Is MacArthur still a free agent? If he is, that would be interesting to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00