Grabovski and Kulemin Sign with NYI

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think what gets lost on people is that not everybody fits in with every team. Some players will struggle on a certain team, maybe because of the role they are put in, maybe because of the system the team plays, or maybe because of the players they are paired with.

Kulemin and Grabo given their contributors were not worth $10 million for THIS team. If they work somewhere else, good for them.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Looking forward to watching Grabo and Kule suit up together again. They are a couple quality individuals and I wish them great success.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think what gets lost on people is that not everybody fits in with every team. Some players will struggle on a certain team, maybe because of the role they are put in, maybe because of the system the team plays, or maybe because of the players they are paired with.

Kulemin and Grabo given their contributors were not worth $10 million for THIS team. If they work somewhere else, good for them.

That's fair, but its not the team in this case. They do not work for Carlyle and his system. Cmac left for the same reason. To my knowledge everyone on the team loved Grabo and Kules.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A few reasons why NYI signed them.

1) Buffalo owns their 1st round pick in the Vanek trade so they want to finish as high as possible to prevent surrendering a top 5 pick.

2) This is the last season on Long Island before moving to Brooklyn and so they need to start creating a buzz around the team to sell future tickets.

3) Secondary support and scoring behind Tavares to try and keep my star player happy.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
A couple reasons why NYI signed them.

1) Buffalo owns their 1st round pick in the Vanek trade so they want to finish as high as possible to prevent surrendering a top 5 pick.

2) This is the last season on Long Island before moving to Brooklyn and so they need to start creating a buzz around the team to sell future tickets.

3) Secondary support and scoring behind Tavares to try and keep my star player happy.

Spot on. When Grabo and Kules are working(scoring) they are absolutely fun players to watch.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Actually Grabovski's career average is a 48.6 points per season. He's not a 50 point Center, he hasn't been his last 2 seasons.

5M per for a one dimensional center that is not a Selke candidate and who struggles to hit 50 points is an overpayment.

He's not a one-dimensional player. He's a -1 over his entire career, mainly due to a -10 in 2013 when he was used as a checking line center and given awful zone starts.

He was the best two-way center we had when he was here, and he still would be today if he was on the team.

Unless you think a guy who is a career -40 is somehow a better defensive player, whilst playing mostly on the same team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Spot on. When Grabo and Kules are working(scoring) they are absolutely fun players to watch.

They will get lots of ice time on the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit.

In Toronto under Carlyle they became 3rd liners so their offensive was limited by both ice and opportunity.

I'm expecting an offensive resurgence to the point where they were once productive 2nd liners in TO.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Why do two none Leaf players get a thread. Should this not be in the sticky "Around the League" thread? Grabo didn't even play with us last season. Time to move on already.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why do two none Leaf players get a thread. Should this not be in the sticky "Around the League" thread? Grabo didn't even play with us last season. Time to move on already.

Kules did and fans don't like when valuable assets walk for nothing, are replaced by bad contracts and we spend picks on temps who we then don't sign is the worst case of asset management I have ever seen in my life.

We lost a complete 2nd line for nothing, KGM will be a sore spot until Nonis and Carlyle are gone most likely. Never seen a 2nd line disappear for nothing, probably never will again.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Kules did and fans don't like when valuable assets walk for nothing, are replaced by bad contracts and we spend picks on temps who we then don't sign is the worst case of asset management I have ever seen in my life.

We lost a complete 2nd line for nothing, KGM will be a sore spot until Nonis and Carlyle are gone most likely. Never seen a 2nd line disappear for nothing, probably never will again.

We let them go for various reasons. It's not like we wanted to keep them. They all out-priced themselves. Yes we could've traded them but hey at least we didn't lose a Statsny or Parise or Suter for nothing.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

While I agree with you to a degree, they are still not Leafs property and it should be moved to the other thread. We got enough problems with our current team to worry about past players.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Actually Grabovski's career average is a 48.6 points per season. He's not a 50 point Center, he hasn't been his last 2 seasons.

5M per for a one dimensional center that is not a Selke candidate and who struggles to hit 50 points is an overpayment.

So because he's not a Selke candidate he's bad defensively? Last I checked neither is our famed #1C. If he was a Selke candidate do you honestly think he'd only get 5mil on the open market?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One of or a couple Boston players admitted they were instructed to check Grabo hard. They did just that more than any other leaf because he was a threat. He also played the toughest minutes. That last few minutes of game 7 it was reported as well that Grabo requested NOT to be put on not sure if he was injured gassed or what but Randy put him on anyways. He had a minus 10 against a line that went on to make mince meat out of Penguins etc. the optics of this get blurred by some posters. The reality is Bolland for Grabo was a knee jerk move fueled by an idiot coach (RC).

Grabo is a second liner who we should have played to succeed and THEN traded.

Sorry, this is just one of the many excuses for this player that is constantly brought up here. Good players can be spotted anywhere, whether Grabovski was on the 2nd line or 3rd, which he was in his last 55 games for our team, he stunk. He did not score to his 48 point career season average, nor did he play as our supposedly best defensive center( I disagree mind you that he was) by going -20 on the season.

You can't have it both ways, he did not score, nor did he play well defensively as he is often referred to here. Failed on both accounts, and he really had no excuses whatsoever.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

do you even want any of KGM in the line-up this year? even if we had them, there's no room for them. i'll take our current players over these three any day.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

That was no 2nd line. They were one year wonders as a 2nd line and that's it. Also as a unit they stunk defensively and were totally outmatched in the Boston series, the pair of them were a combined -19 in seven games!?!

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

I'm sorry, what? Are you being serious? Sorry, he's not a 50 point center, hes a 48.6 point center? lol.....

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Grabo isn't a 2nd line centre, despite hitting 58 points once, what does that say about Bozak, who can't even hit 50?

Well, Bozak's never had the kind of linemates Grabo has had to help him ... oh wait ...

Sorry, gotta run, I se Interactif coming and he's carrying a big stick ... fleeing in terror now ...

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
If Grabo isn't a 2nd line centre, despite hitting 58 points once, what does that say about Bozak, who can't even hit 50?

Bozak is a joke, we won't be competitive until he's either off the team or on the 3A/2B split.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I think at the end of the day we are weak up the middle and it doesn't change much having or not having Grabovski

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I think at the end of the day we are weak up the middle and it doesn't change much having or not having Grabovski

That's something everyone should agree on. Bozak needs to be our 3rd center at best before this team is deep at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad