Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
To each and every one of you that came out with nonsense like "it's only game 1" or "they did the same last year" or "you're just overreacting" after that debacle in Boston last week:

Last night was for you.

Last night was why there was such a reaction.

It wasn't just 1 game. It's been several years of the same lifeless patterns & habits, that we all should have seen coming from miles away.

"meaningless games"

lawl

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Thinking about this in very simple terms, all the Leafs need is for each one of the core four to have ONE all world game each series. 1 out of 7 games in four consecutive series to win the cup. All they need to do is show up for 4 games each and they win the cup.

I know lets continue to shoot the puck DIRECTLY at the goalie or directly into traffic when he has had time to get set and or with 8 people directly in front of the net so every shot gets blocked. That should win 16 games in the playoffs, right? Pee Wee Hockey 101, get the goalie moving....

Reactions: PromisedLand

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Screenshot_2020-05-27-20-38-24.png

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yes it was Matthews that was barely able to use his left leg to skate off. He was shuffling. I am surprised that more people aren't pointing that out. He probably had his ankle frozen and it wore off ...that would be my guess.

FRACK!

No wonder Matthews was slow as shit in Game 3 and Game 4. Dude was flying out there in Game 1 and Game 2

Marner on the other hand has been consistently ASS in all games. I guess his injury is "Hurt Feelings because playoffs are really tough"; that would be what? upper body injury I guess since he is so mentally fragile and an absolute child

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Even of it was expected, i still feel dissapointed.

If a team is better on paper and dont succede i would blame the coaching staff.

I expect the players mostly do very near what they have been told.

PP PK. If they fix that. They would have won all games.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I feel sorry for Nylander. He is one of the few players that tries to do shit.

Yeah, that tryhard Nylander... LOL

It's weird to blame Dubas when we currently have the worst team of the Matthews era and he is not here.

That is what happens when you paint yourself into a corner cap-wise, dump all your picks trying to get over the hump and then bail before the downswing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To each and every one of you that came out with nonsense like "it's only game 1" or "they did the same last year" or "you're just overreacting" after that debacle in Boston last week:

Last night was for you.

Last night was why there was such a reaction.

It wasn't just 1 game. It's been several years of the same lifeless patterns & habits, that we all should have seen coming from miles away.

The culture of meaningless games and scheduled losses and all those uncompetitive traits came back to haunt them last night. You simply cannot flip a switch and expect to kick it into a special winning gear when you carry around such bad habits over 82 games, over 8 years. No team ever has a 1.000 winning percentage but the low floor, no show games being papered over with a cram session offensive push. Those habits never pay off in hockey. Just bad country club culture coming back to bite them.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The team used 6 picks at the draft and had 20 million in cap space to start the season...

How many were first rounders and how many spots did they have to fill with that 20 million praytell?

Go to the Pittsburgh board if you're just here to continue to wear blinders about how badly Dubas screwed this team up. The record speaks for itself.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wasn't drafting and developing guys supposed to be the way this was going to work? Draft good players on their ELC that we can bring in on the cheap to augment our team given how much was devoted to the top 4. Somewhere, Dubas deviated from this plan and traded picks like candy. To start drafting now is a little late for this iteration of the Leafs but we have to start somewhere I guess.

This is really disheartening to see. So much promise and so little results in the playoffs. The chances to screw this up were really low and somehow Dubas managed the feat.

Drafting and developing has actually been pretty good over the past decade. But it’s been poor evaluation and getting over the hump that has seen most of that good talent blown out for short term patch work or straight up cap mismanagement.

Kadri, Hyman, Verhaeghe, Marchment, Moore, Joshua, Durzi, that’s basically an entire supporting cast right there.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How many were first rounders and how many spots did they have to fill with that 20 million praytell?

Go to the Pittsburgh board if you're just here to continue to wear blinders about how badly Dubas screwed this team up.

Calling someone out for an uninformed post is not being a fanboy for someone.

The 20 million mostly went to Samsanov, Bert, Domi, Kampf, Reaves, and Klingberg, you can decide if it was money well spent.

The 6 picks are fine, and you're right, they are all lower value, but that is also why we got 2x #6 Ds and a 13th forward.

We didn't make a push at the deadline but we spent a large number of picks, and I found it weird.

New GM also inherited 2 star players with a few weeks to move before NMCs kicked in

And he chose to keep them and overpay them...

I don't mind a lot of what he has done, but it is laughable to blame another GM for something the current GM is continuing...

It seems like it is everyone's fault for the failure this year except for people who got here this year (including players).

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Agreed. That being said, I'm ok with keeping Nylander as part of the core moving forward based on his past playoff performances.

Marner on the other hand is not worth what he'll be asking for. I said in the past that we should hold on to him until Tavares' contract expires and re-sign him, but I think Treliving needs to seriously explore moving him this off season.

WHY??

Nylander has produced less while being a much worse defensive player.

And despite all of Nylanders supposed heroics.. they have gone no where.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The culture of meaningless games and scheduled losses and all those uncompetitive traits came back to haunt them last night. You simply cannot flip a switch and expect to kick it into a special winning gear when you carry around such bad habits over 82 games, over 8 years. No team ever has a 1.000 winning percentage but the low floor, no show games being papered over with a cram session offensive push. Those habits never pay off in hockey. Just bad country club culture coming back to bite them.

There have been so many quotes from different sports including hockeh that goes along the lines of...

"practice hard so the games become easy"

"heart is what separates good from great"

"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe."

"practice like you are playing the game; games become natural"

“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”

"good habits are only built as part of your natural instinct if done continuously"

"work ethic in everything leads to disciplined life and performance because its part of your life you don't have to think; you just do"

etc....

The culture that was nurtured by dubas was the biggest cancer as far as I am concerned. It will take time to undo this

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There have been so many quotes from different sports including hockeh that goes along the lines of...

"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe."

“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”

"good habits are only built as part of your natural instinct if done continuously"

"work ethic in everything leads to disciplined life and performance because its part of your life you don't have to think; you just do"

etc....

The culture that was nurtured by dubas was the biggest cancer as far as I am concerned. It will take time to undo this
When you have Keefe saying stuff like "We got respect in the handshake line" and after yesterdays Mitch glove throwing that its "a good sign they care"....I don't know how anyone...especially Tre could be fooled into thinking he was worth an extension.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ooof. Recorded the game because I had a thing to go to. What the hell, Matthews out? Marner crying on the bench? Nylander yelling at teammates? What happened there, I just skipped through most of it. Don’t want watch that crap.

Looked horrendous to watch in real time. These guys seem to have forgot how to score……again.

Without Matthews and a goalie we’re done. Big changes coming this summer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

etc....

The way Dubas and MLSE friends talked about the Leafs progression to a championship, it was always so superficial to me and lacked all the grit of previous championship climbs. Like all you needed was faith, time and viola, success. What right did they have comparing themselves to 90s Detroit or the recent Lightning? They may as well be the 2000s Senators.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
When you have Keefe saying stuff like "We got respect in the handshake line" and after yesterdays Mitch glove throwing that its "a good sign they care"....I don't know how anyone...especially Tre could be fooled into thinking he was worth an extension.

The extension is just to avoid Keefe being a lame duck. He is a lame duck, and they will fire him after the Leafs lose this year, but it keeps up appearances.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The extension is just to avoid Keefe being a lame duck. He is a lame duck, and they will fire him after the Leafs lose this year, but it keeps up appearances.

The upside to firing him a year later is the crop of potential replacements could be very strong. Brind’Amour without a contract. Berube available. Jon Cooper? Could be worth the delay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad