Grabovski and Kulemin Sign with NYI

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Grabs will do what he does best and skate around in circles, passing to noone, only to get knocked on his arse
While Kulemin will look to pass every time even if he has a opening to wind up and blast one

:laugh:

His Boston series in one sentence.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Says the guy who roots for the Leafs..probably amongst the worst teams in the league for defensive forwards if not the absolute worst.

What the hell does that have to do with me cheering for the Leafs?

I understand how to evaluate defensive talent, regardless if our team has it or not lol.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Dude, put your bias aside and try to judge things realistically.

You cannot call any contract "pretty good" when they haven't played a single game in a Leafs uniform. Not to mention you have a pretty bleak definition of a "good" contract and a "exceptional" player.

I assume you're levying the exact same criticisms to people who are against the signings?

Tyler Biggs*

Santorelli & Kontiola 1 year 2.6 > Grabovski & Kulemin 4 years 9.2.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
How many collective points do they score against us this year?

I'm going with 6.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kulemin had just 20 points last season, granted he does a lot of grunt work but 4.2M per for 4 years this is just silly money.

Grabovski's last 2 seasons are of only 16 and 35 point seasons, and he lands a 5M per for 4 years contract is equally silly.

The Agent did his job, and the cheque is in the mail.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Kulemin had just 20 points last season, granted he does a lot of grunt work but 4.2M per for 4 years this is just silly money.

Grabovski's last 2 seasons are of only 16 and 35 point seasons, and he lands a 5M per for 4 years contract is equally silly.

The Agent did his job, and the cheque is in the mail.

Funny that you don't use GP...

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
35 points in 58 games is a .60 PPG pace, so over 82 games that's 49 points. Still pretty poor for someone that provides nothing else to be making 5 million a year.

That's pretty much 50 points which is his career AVG, he got paid because he's consistently put up those #'s as well as the NYI having $ to burn. He's only .5-1mil overpaid. Then again with the rising cap it is the new going rate for 2nd line C's.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
That's pretty much 50 points which is his career AVG, he got paid because he's consistently put up those #'s as well as the NYI having $ to burn. He's only .5-1mil overpaid. Then again with the rising cap it is the new going rate for 2nd line C's.

It'd be a good deal at bozaks range, they're similar in scoring production but IMO bozak is better in other areas of the game, grabo is a bit limited.

Kule is WAY over paid, that's near 2nd line money and he's largely averaged 25-35 points throughout his career. deserves 3m or 3.5m at most.

Still though, Kule may be a useful guy on the third line but I dont think you can win anything significant with Grabo as a top 6 player.

Feb 24, 2004
35 points in 58 games is a .60 PPG pace, so over 82 games that's 49 points. Still pretty poor for someone that provides nothing else to be making 5 million a year.

He provides some coverage defensively. He gets an unfair rap in that area I think.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
"You don't know what you've got until it's gone." I have a feeling Kulemin will shine for the Islanders.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Grabo had 35 points in 58 games, was +6 (2nd best of all Caps forwards), and was 54% on faceoffs. He was a very solid player on both ends of the ice for the Caps, which is typically what he did here.

The Isles may seem to have paid a premium, but it's ironic that even after the Leafs bought him out, he got an identical deal from another team.

It was a stupid buyout decision. Have any other players subject to buyouts been signed to contracts of the same value a year later?

If we somehow bought out Clarkson, does anyone think he'd get anything close to his current deal?

The Isles basically bought a 2nd line. Kulemin will produce admirably if he's actually given significant PP time. I wouldn't criticize giving Kulemin $4m when we went out and gave Komarov $3m.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
They were an exciting duo with Clarke M a while ago but I have moved on from these players. Don't think that they are going to help NYI get to the next level. Glad we chose to spend our money more wisely this offseason.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
$5MM for a 50 point center who's a good possession player and therefore helps defensively too? Pricey, but I'd take it over $4.2M for Bozak, and certainly over whatever Bolland's outrageous deal. Glad we have Santorelli and Kontiola for nothing instead.

That said this place is going to be entertaining when the Isles make the playoffs and we're out again. :laugh:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Do people just ignore how he actually played? Go YouTube the fourth goal of Game 2. I'll wait.

C'mon man, around here I remember people were saying he played so well that series. Tbh, I thought he sucked every single game in the playoffs. Useless player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Actually Grabovski's career average is a 48.6 points per season. He's not a 50 point Center, he hasn't been his last 2 seasons.

5M per for a one dimensional center that is not a Selke candidate and who struggles to hit 50 points is an overpayment.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
:laugh:

His Boston series in one sentence.

One of or a couple Boston players admitted they were instructed to check Grabo hard. They did just that more than any other leaf because he was a threat. He also played the toughest minutes. That last few minutes of game 7 it was reported as well that Grabo requested NOT to be put on not sure if he was injured gassed or what but Randy put him on anyways. He had a minus 10 against a line that went on to make mince meat out of Penguins etc. the optics of this get blurred by some posters. The reality is Bolland for Grabo was a knee jerk move fueled by an idiot coach (RC).

Grabo is a second liner who we should have played to succeed and THEN traded.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Actually Grabovski's career average is a 48.6 points per season. He's not a 50 point Center, he hasn't been his last 2 seasons.

5M per for a one dimensional center that is not a Selke candidate and who struggles to hit 50 points is an overpayment.

50 pt centers on the second line get about 5m a year. I don't understand the problem.

16 pt wingers get 5m here in Toranna.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad