Confirmed with Link: Grabner to Devils for 2nd rounder and Rykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
ok well before i 'be quiet' let me summarize what i said, since reading is too much trouble:

- it was a confusing trade, given our needs at the deadline
- shero seems to have lost the trade
- it's not a big deal because we didn't give up anything significant the other way
- grabner hasn't done **** in NJ to this point
- maroon has exceeded expectations

now what exactly am i 'spinning'?

- It was a smart trade since he fits Shero's MO (speed).
- We won the trade just by sliding Grabner in our lineup, pushing out Stafford and Hayes from our everyday lineup.
- Exactly, so I don't see why you're bumping this thread.
- He hasn't turned out to be the point producer you were expecting but he's been useful in our bottom 6, adding depth and experience to a young lineup while being key on our PK.
- Good for Maroon.

Camille the Eel

Question I have is, wouldn't you still play Grabner? I would. He improves our club and makes us more competitive against Tampa Bay right now. There's no one I'd play over him. This means probably Bratt and Stafford on the bench, or if Bratt plays, it's over someone else.

So to me that answers the question re Grabner right now. He improves our club, our chances to win, over what we had before. Giving up the rights to Rykov for that, for the improved lineup now, makes sense to me even retrospectively.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
ok well before i 'be quiet' let me summarize what i said, since reading is too much trouble:

- it was a confusing trade, given our needs at the deadline
- shero seems to have lost the trade
- it's not a big deal because we didn't give up anything significant the other way
- grabner hasn't done **** in NJ to this point
- maroon has exceeded expectations

now what exactly am i 'spinning'?

This has no basis in reality.

We absolutely needed an upgrade at wing. Not sure how trading for a winger was "confusing"

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the only way you could say we lost the trade is if we failed to make the playoffs. as far as im concerned it was a good trade for us because he played a huge role on the penalty kill which helped us win games and make the playoffs. would do it again

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Question I have is, wouldn't you still play Grabner? I would. He improves our club and makes us more competitive against Tampa Bay right now. There's no one I'd play over him. This means probably Bratt and Stafford on the bench, or if Bratt plays, it's over someone else.

So to me that answers the question re Grabner right now. He improves our club, our chances to win, over what we had before. Giving up the rights to Rykov for that, for the improved lineup now, makes sense to me even retrospectively.
His value has certainly dropped in my eyes. And while you are right, right now I would play him over Bratt, next year I think I'd rather have Bratt back out there, and sure hope that is the case in years 2 and 3. No way do I go beyond 3 years for Grab's, and I might not even want to go past 2.

So if we can sign him on the cheap for a short term deal, then yeah I do that.

Edit: read "play" in the bold as "pay". But my post still holds up ok. :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
His value has certainly dropped in my eyes. And while you are right, right now I would play him over Bratt, next year I think I'd rather have Bratt back out there, and sure hope that is the case in years 2 and 3. No way do I go beyond 3 years for Grab's, and I might not even want to go past 2.

So if we can sign him on the cheap for a short term deal, then yeah I do that.

That is being polite

Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Wood-Zacha-Maroon
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
XXXX-Boyle-Gibbons

He's going to be a 4th line LW...A 4th line LW might be the lowest value position of any of the 12 forwards on a team, the entire team for that matter. When we went to the finals in 2012 our 4th line LW was picked off of waivers. And he had 4 regular season goals and 5 in the playoffs....For Free.

We gave something like a #46 overall and LHD prospect, for what amounts to a 4th line LW who scored 2 Regular season goals for us.

The somersaults and back flips people are trying to do to defend this trade is nutty. It was a bad trade from the moment it was made.

Last edited:
Reactions: HischierSeDgewOrk

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
The somersaults and back flips people are trying to do to defend this trade is nutty. It was a bad trade from the moment it was made.

or maybe people just don't value rykov and a #46 overall pick the same way when we've had such an insane number of draft picks over the past couple of years that we can afford to part with future assets for a shot at the playoffs this season

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
who cares about this season!? we can have rykov in 3 years and a 2nd round draft pick maybe hopefully pan out in 3-4 seasons too!

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
nevermind that the playoffs haven't even started you have no idea what he will contribute. guy could score a gw stanley cup finals goal and some people will do their own mental gymnastics to maintain that this was a bad trade because those two assets *might have been* valuable contributors

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
or maybe people just don't value rykov and a #46 overall pick the same way when we've had such an insane number of draft picks over the past couple of years that we can afford to part with future assets for a shot at the playoffs this season
That is not how I look at itat all. A pick and a prospect has X value, Grabner has Y value...That doesn't change based on circumstances..not even a little bit.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
and that value is subjective. what's a 2nd round pick? a nathan bastian? a jon merril? mackenzie blackwood?

what's rykov?

what's making the playoffs worth? personally i'd rather be in the playoffs now than be looking forward to one day maybe having rykov on this team. you can't prove that not making this trade would still mean we are in the playoffs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
and that value is subjective. what's a 2nd round pick? a nathan bastian? a jon merril? mackenzie blackwood?

what's rykov?

what's making the playoffs worth? personally i'd rather be in the playoffs now than be looking forward to one day maybe having rykov on this team. you can't prove that not making this trade would still mean we are in the playoffs.
You believe Grabner was a difference in making the playoffs or not? Did you believe he "might" be at any point?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils have been lucky that they have not had any injuries at forward besides the ones that they had when they made the deal. In fact, injury luck is a big part of their unexpected success this season, not that you'll hear that from anyone around here. So yeah, Grabner is the 4th line LW right now, but that could very easily change with an injury somewhere up top.

While the Devils are lacking in talent all over the roster, I suspect Grabner-Boyle-Gibbons is one of the top Devils 4th lines of the last 20 years, and it's not because they are letting a higher line get caved in.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It was a bad trade from the moment it was made.

It's been a bad trade so far.

To say it was a bad trade "from the moment is was made" makes no sense to me, they brought in a guy who's a dynamic penalty killer pacing for a 30 goal season for a playoff run by giving up a mid 2nd rounder and a guy who may well never step on NHL ice. That's not bad value.

Has it worked out so far? No. But I think it was a smart trade. If nothing else, Grabner banished Hayes & Stafford, whom he's clearly more valuable then, and adds depth in case someone goes down.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

:laugh: exactly, it's comical. now the narrative is that 'we needed an upgrade at wing'. our defense was fine, our goaltending situation was perfect, we were just clamoring for a wing to put us over the top. right

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's been a bad trade so far.

To say it was a bad trade "from the moment is was made" makes no sense to me, they brought in a guy who's a dynamic penalty killer pacing for a 30 goal season for a playoff run by giving up a mid 2nd rounder and a guy who may well never step on NHL ice. That's not bad value.

A dynamic penalty killer on team filled with dynamic penalty killers???

I suspect they knew from the get go Johansson's season was most likely over and they saw a gap at #2 LW - Panicked and over paid for Grabner.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Just because we needed an upgrade at wing does not mean we couldn't have used an upgrade on D, too. Which DMan should we have acquired that got traded at the trade deadline? Very curious to hear.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Gibbons
Grabner
Coleman
Zajac

It's an absolute thing of beauty (in that order) watching those 2 sets of guys kill penalties.

The sort of thing that might be valuable when you're about to play a playoff series against arguably the best PowerPlay in the entire NHL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I suspect they knew from the get go Johansson's season was most likely over and they saw a gap at #2 LW - Panicked and over paid for Grabner.

You may be right but we are all just speculating. I personally would have been a soft seller at the deadline. Trade Moore play Mueller and if you can get rid of them trade Hayes and Stafford. Tell the team after the deadline you believe in the players in the room since they’ve come this far and call up JQ whenever he would have been healthy. I probably would have made the Maroon trade for the third round pick so I could have said we were buyers but when they made the Grabner trade the Maroon trade wasn’t on the table. That said when they acquired Grabs I think he was immediately the second leading goal scorer on the team? That’s tough for me to argue with even for a relatively steep price for a rental. They probably envisioned him as a replacement for a fading Bratt and injured Gibbons and injured MarJo. Maybe that’s panic or maybe that’s showing Hall and company you will support a winning environment. I think there’s also an element that it’s the Rangers that bothers folks. If he’d come from STL or VAN I think some folks would be less critical.

There is also the way the team management looks at it. Playoff games are largely profit. Each one might be worth $2 mil (just a round guess you can fill in any number you reasonably project). Get round one to go six games and that’s a nice chunk of change. If you told Harris you could trade your second round pick and Rykov for $6 mil he’d probably say yes. So would just about any NHL team.

Then there are the players in the room. I can speak from my interactions with pro athletes they generally don’t value draft picks. Those are guys coming to take their jobs.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Thought it was too pricey moment it was made and Grabner's play here sure hasn't warranted the price we gave up. But at the end of the day we made the playoffs which was the goal once we acquired Grabner, so can't complain that much. Might come back to hurt us if Rykov ever becomes something. Not a great trade, but the Maroon trade made up for it IMO

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Being a 'soft seller' is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about with injury luck. The Devils had exactly 0 games played by defenseman callups this season - they started with 8 D on the roster and they never needed help from Binghamton. Trading Moore, the left side of the D now looks like Greene/Butcher/Mueller with the next-best LHD being... Strait? Kapla? Dyblenko? That's what you want going down the left side trying to make the playoffs? Your alternative is playing an RHD on the left side which is not really what you want.

Unless the injury bug really hits the D in the playoffs, the Devils will end up surviving quite shoddy depth at the D position this season. It's something I hope Shero doesn't repeat, but judging by his trades for Grabner and Maroon, he is at least aware of the value of having depth.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I hope he lights it up in the playoffs. That's all.

He has a chance to make an impact now in the biggest games this franchise has played in 6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad