Speculation: Gostisbehere - Too early to freak out?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No, he did it in the neutral zone and at the blue line as well. Three separate times last night. Weird how you didn't even notice. Each time failed. it was noticed and commented on

He does it every game and it works less often than it fails.

I noticed, and I agree with you when you say that Hayes ****ing stinks, both literally and figuratively.

Reactions: Striiker

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You don’t consider blaming his individual mistakes last night, including on the PP, on Hagg an excuse?

Now I will say that a lot of posters *did* acknowledge his mistakes last night & how bad he’s been so far. More people are taking notice. But there are also still a ton of posters making excuses for him, & how anyone could think he was “good” last night as some have said is beyond me.

I don't remember anyone blaming his individual mistakes on Hagg.

Pointing out that Hagg is quite a limitation for him to overcome, as he is every single partner he plays with, is accurate though. It is flat out difficult to perform well when paired with Hagg. The guy is caught staring at plays routinely enough that it's like being a man down. His partners habitually have to do the jobs of two people.

Ghost had a complete disaster of a first period. The next two periods were much improved.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
poor Ghost.

ab6.gif

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Blaming a players performance on someone else is pretty weak. Just call it how it is and say he’s been struggling. He’s the odd man out long term on this defense core.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't remember anyone blaming his individual mistakes on Hagg.

Pointing out that Hagg is quite a limitation for him to overcome, as he is every single partner he plays with, is accurate though. It is flat out difficult to perform well when paired with Hagg. The guy is caught staring at plays routinely enough that it's like being a man down. His partners habitually have to do the jobs of two people.

Ghost had a complete disaster of a first period. The next two periods were much improved.
I wonder what Ghosts fancy stats were by period against Calgary.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost
2018-19:
1st 31 games: CF 51.31%, xGF 50.31%
last 51 games: CF 50.56%, xGF49.41%
his scoring might have increased, but his overall play declined under Gordon
2017-18: CF 52.24%, xGF 53.53%

It looks like 2017-18 will be his career year.
He's never been a dominant ES player, ES scoring 24 (64g), 26, 32, 23.
To have a big year, he needs another big year on the PP (33 points in 2017-18).

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Certain group after we record 5 out of 6 points despite weirdass lineup choices: "Calm down, stop the hysteria, we've got 5 out of 6 points and none of you are NHL experienced coaches"

Same group after 1 loss: "Dat Ghost is so questionable, I've been telling you in the hive for so long!! Pat on my back"

So its the Hive vs Other Group. Can other group have a better name and better defined parameters.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as Ghost, why does it have to be superstar or bust?
Maybe he's just an undersized but talented offensive defenseman who's a notch or two below Karlsson, but is still a solid performer.

He may never have a season like 2017-18 again, but if they fix the PP, I can see him posting 20-25 ES points and 20-25 PP points, 40-50 points as his norm with average defense is pretty solid.

Reactions: Starat327

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ghost
2018-19:
1st 31 games: CF 51.31%, xGF 50.31%
last 51 games: CF 50.56%, xGF49.41%
his scoring might have increased, but his overall play declined under Gordon
2017-18: CF 52.24%, xGF 53.53%

1st 31 games: -2% rel xGF% (.950 PDO -- incredibly unlucky as well)
Last 51 games: +3.9% rel xGF% (.984 PDO -- still unlucky)

Surely, you know that the team's analytics fell off a cliff under Gordon, making it impossible to draw a direct line of comparison using before/after numbers lacking context. But his play actually DID improve, both in process and results. You either are being purposefully loose when it comes to this fact to fit an argument, or you didn't take these numbers into account. I'd like to assume it's just the latter, but I've seen the former pointed out to you many times, sir.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
1st 31 games: -2% xGF% (.950 PDO -- incredibly unlucky as well)
Last 51 games: +3.9% xGF% (.984 PDO -- still unlucky)

Surely, you know that the team's analytics fell off a cliff under Gordon, making it impossible to draw a direct line of comparison using before/after numbers lacking context. But his play actually DID improve, both in process and results. You either are being purposefully loose when it comes to this fact to fit an argument, or you didn't take these numbers into account. I'd like to assume it's just the latter, but I've seen the former pointed out to you many times, sir.

Where did you get those numbers?
I'm just working of the basic numbers on NST.
I was just responding to the idea that he "blossomed" under Gordon.

Frankly, I don't think his performance had much to do with coaches, since he had his career season the year before under Hakstol.
Now he claimed he was hindered by the knee injury last year, but he doesn't look much quicker to me this season so far.
I just feel the league has caught on to his loss of burst, and where they gave him space two years ago, now they crowd him, especially on the PP.

Some people are emotionally invested in Ghost becoming the next Karlsson, but if he plays as well the next two years as Streit did for us his first two years as a Flyer, that'll be just fine. After that, York should be ready so we can play it as it lays.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Where did you get those numbers?
I'm just working of the basic numbers on NST.
I was just responding to the idea that he "blossomed" under Gordon.

Frankly, I don't think his performance had much to do with coaches, since he had his career season the year before under Hakstol.
Now he claimed he was hindered by the knee injury last year, but he doesn't look much quicker to me this season so far.
I just feel the league has caught on to his loss of burst, and where they gave him space two years ago, now they crowd him, especially on the PP.

Some people are emotionally invested in Ghost becoming the next Karlsson, but if he plays as well the next two years as Streit did for us his first two years as a Flyer, that'll be just fine. After that, York should be ready so we can play it as it lays.

Who?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad