Speculation: Gostisbehere - Too early to freak out?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I wouldn't call Niskanen and Braun "inferior" to Ghost, they may not have his offensive chops, but they're bigger, more physical and a lot sounder defensively.
And Ghost is no longer a dominant offensive player, his skating is above average but no more, last couple years he's lost numerous "foot races" to faster players.

Braun is very inferior to Ghost, lets not kid ourselves.

Niskys overall game makes he and Ghost closer, but Ghost is still the better player.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This season? No, it's 4 games.

But career-wise? It depends on what you like to worry about. He's a dangerous gamechanger now and then. He's a really good player a lot of the time. He's an ineffective but harmless player a lot of the time. He's a bad player now and then.

I don't know how you can look at the guy and completely absolve him of his own inconsistency, season-to-season, game-to-game. It's his fifth year in the league, he'll be 27 by the end of it. It's time to figure this out, man.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This "inconsistency" isn't real.

Year 1 - great
Year 2 - injured/recovering
Year 3 - great
Year 4 - sabotaged offensively, good defensively
Year 5 - sabotaged offensively, good defensively

His play suffers when things outside of his control f*** him over. Shocker.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When will this myth of "Ghost was awful last year", end? He was awful under Hakstol last year, fine under Gordon.

Under Hak: 31 games: 13 points(50th in league), 6 ES points(114th in league), 7 PP points(20th in league), -18

Under Gordon: 47 games, 24 points(28th in league), 17 ES points(30th in league), 7 PP pts(25th in league), -2

The PP points stand out because that is one area where he has been an elite producer. But it wasn't just him. Giroux has been an elite PP guy as well...and he was tied for 26th with Jake and others for PP during that same time period. To blame just Ghost is dumb and short sighted. When it happens to 3 guys who have been great/elite on the PP, it's a team issue. Oh...what's that? They changed the PP to a shitty setup...THE SAME SETUP WE ARE USING THIS YEAR. Odd how it's shitty this year too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"But he was bad last year too!"

:facepalm:
People can whine me all they want about me defending Ghost so much, but I wouldn't have to if the criticisms of him weren't so f***ing insane and incorrect. :laugh: Especially the people who flat out lie about him.

I'll keep doing it for as long as the ridiculous complaints continue, same as I do for all our star players. #FreeGhost #FreeJake #FreeGiroux #FreeCouturier #FreeSanheim

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
If you consider him as a 3rd pair guy, you shouldn'd freak out at all, he looks way better than Hägg.
If you consider him as a 2nd pair guy, you should be ok with his performance.
If you consider him as a top pair guy you probably should be concerned so far but not too much.
If you consider him as a 1D, you're probably Striiker. ;)

Or just playing either of them with anyone but Hagg.

Ghost-Braun looked very good together in Pre-season. So what should we do?

Put Ghost with Hagg, obviously.

Im not really sure AV was doing with all those lines last night. Jake on the third line at RW????? Its not preseason anymore AV. You had your time to make crazy lines

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Im not really sure AV was doing with all those lines last night. Jake on the third line at RW????? Its not preseason anymore AV. You had your time to make crazy lines

Ghost isnt being set up to succeed. His defensive partner is an offensive black hole, and it seems like most of the time i see him on the ice at EV, hes playing with subpar linemates. Ghost needs to be playing the game with players who think the game at a high level in order to be effective. Pitlick and Raffl arent going to know where to be when Ghost picks out a pass, so his offense is going to suffer.

Dont get me started on the shitty PP setup, either.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
When will this myth of "Ghost was awful last year", end? He was awful under Hakstol last year, fine under Gordon.

Under Hak: 31 games: 13 points(50th in league), 6 ES points(114th in league), 7 PP points(20th in league), -18

Under Gordon: 47 games, 24 points(28th in league), 17 ES points(30th in league), 7 PP pts(25th in league), -2

The PP points stand out because that is one area where he has been an elite producer. But it wasn't just him. Giroux has been an elite PP guy as well...and he was tied for 26th with Jake and others for PP during that same time period. To blame just Ghost is dumb and short sighted. When it happens to 3 guys who have been great/elite on the PP, it's a team issue. Oh...what's that? They changed the PP to a ****ty setup...THE SAME SETUP WE ARE USING THIS YEAR. Odd how it's ****ty this year too.
Rick Wilson disagrees with you.

He was a bad turnover machine throughout the season. He at least had more games with points in the second half, but still tons of poor ones.

Reactions: renberg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Rick Wilson disagrees with you.

He was a bad turnover machine throughout the season. He at least had more games with points in the second half, but still tons of poor ones.
Ghost was 4th in giveaways for the Flyers last year for Dmen. And under Gordon:

Provy 61
Sanheim 42
Gudas 39
Ghost 34
Hagg 30

Yup...turnover MACHINE. Your bias is showing again Mr Impartial.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Provy 61
Sanheim 42
Gudas 39
Ghost 34
Hagg 30

giphy.gif

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Stop with the excuses. Ghost’s problems are almost always self-inflicted. Like trying to skate through the defense in the neutral zone & turning it over, which he did on the PP last night (no Hagg) & then took a penalty. His other turnovers had nothing to do with Hagg.

He did this all last season no matter the D partner, fans just filtered it out. Now more are finally noticing but still trying to make excuses. Enough. He gets tunnel vision & forces stupid plays & turns it over, & that’s all on him.
Each dman is responsible for his own play. Provy,Sanheim,Ghost our future look like shit and that isn't hagg's fault. This board is f***ed. Play the game and then you know.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think there’s some ground between “bad turnover machine” or “completely absolved of all shortcomings.”

On one hand, he’s been jerked around a lot and not always put in the best position to succeed.

On the other, you have to be at least somewhat responsible for your own results.

For instance, the power play’s dropoff last year took a chunk out of all the big guys’ numbers. Design was part of it, but for the first half of the year it was basically the same one that saw success the year before. At a certain point, those dudes have to bear some responsibility for a million ill-advised zone entries and bad shot selections. Ghost, at his best, is a one-man entry machine with a devastating point shot. But sometimes he’s just a guy skating into traffic without a plan, or holding the puck too long and blasting it into a leg.

They should put him in better spots to succeed, but he himself has said as much like a dozen times...that he has to be better.

Nothing is ever all one thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think there’s some ground between “bad turnover machine” or “completely absolved of all shortcomings.”

On one hand, he’s been jerked around a lot and not always put in the best position to succeed.

On the other, you have to be at least somewhat responsible for your own results.

For instance, the power play’s dropoff last year took a chunk out of all the big guys’ numbers. Design was part of it, but for the first half of the year it was basically the same one that saw success the year before. At a certain point, those dudes have to bear some responsibility for a million ill-advised zone entries and bad shot selections. Ghost, at his best, is a one-man entry machine with a devastating point shot. But sometimes he’s just a guy skating into traffic without a plan, or holding the puck too long and blasting it into a leg.

They should put him in better spots to succeed, but he himself has said as much like a dozen times...that he has to be better.

Nothing is ever all one thing.

I agree with this. He didnt look spectacular last night, and his performances have definitely yo-yo'ed a bit over the past year. I don't think hell ever get back to 17/18 results, but somewhere between there and last year seems feasible, if he's put in the right positions with the right people. I don't think he's riding coattails of great players, but I also don't think hes a strong enough player on his own to drag a bad group of linemates around, like a Karlsson.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The thing with Ghost is that when he is on the top of his game he is one of the best players on the ice. He does make too many mistakes with the puck though lately and can get pushed around a little because of his size (expected). I want him to go back to being on the top of his game but even if he doesn't he is still a good player.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Provy 61
Sanheim 42
Gudas 39
Ghost 34
Hagg 30

1. It’s an inaccurate & poorly kept stat. Many times I notice players, including Ghost, with clear turnovers that don’t show up on the scoresheet. It’s a joke. It’s why Dave Tippett scoffs at official NHL stats & keeps his own.

2. I said “bad turnover machine.” Meaning many of Ghost’s turnovers are egregiously bad & put the team in extra tough spots, particularly odd man rushes the other way. Not all turnovers are created equal.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The thing with Ghost is that when he is on the top of his game he is one of the best players on the ice. He does make too many mistakes with the puck though lately and can get pushed around a little because of his size (expected). I want him to go back to being on the top of his game but even if he doesn't he is still a good player.
His skating like the rest of our main players except 1 is poor compared to the rest of the league.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad