News Article: Gorges doesn't know why he was traded

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The problem with Gorges is that he's extremely vocal in the dressing room (24CH showed us that), and goes onto the ice and doesn't deliver consistantly.

If we want cheerleaders, I would prefer we get ice girls.

Since the season has ended, when asked about leadership, Subban keeps saying that he tries to lead on the ice with his play. That no one respects players who talks a lot but can't deliver.

This summer Gionta and Gorges both left the team.

Looks like management agreed with Subban.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Its a business but Bergevin could have handled it better IMO.

Gorges said while he did add the Sabres to his list of teams he'll go to, he said he told the Habs he was still thinking about maybe ok'ing a trade to Toronto, so why not speak to the guy one last time before you finally trade him.

I fully understand where Gorges is coming from though, when Bergevin came asked the players to take Galchenyuk and Gallagher in, in their rookie years, Gorges was the only one to step up, Galchenyuk family ended up moving to Mtl with him, and Gorges took him Gallagher when no one else would.

I remember that!

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The biggest problem with the Gorges trade isn't the reasoning behind it, it was Bergevin's rush to ship him out ASAP. We sold far below market value on him. For some reason Bergevin had this mindset that Gorges had to go before July 1st. If he really didn't think Gorges needed to be part of the team anymore he should have held out for a better offer.

I think there's a very strong possibility that Bergevin got an offer from Toronto that he liked and decided to pull the trigger, and then it leaked out and Bergevin felt that he had no choice but to move him by that point and did it at the expense of the team because he felt he got backed into a corner.

There was an entire off season to move Gorges, so why not take his time? This is Bergevin's 3rd off season now so he should not be making these mistakes.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
The biggest problem with the Gorges trade isn't the reasoning behind it, it was Bergevin's rush to ship him out ASAP. We sold far below market value on him. For some reason Bergevin had this mindset that Gorges had to go before July 1st. If he really didn't think Gorges needed to be part of the team anymore he should have held out for a better offer.

I think there's a very strong possibility that Bergevin got an offer from Toronto that he liked and decided to pull the trigger, and then it leaked out and Bergevin felt that he had no choice but to move him by that point and did it at the expense of the team because he felt he got backed into a corner.

There was an entire off season to move Gorges, so why not take his time? This is Bergevin's 3rd off season now so he should not be making these mistakes.

I agree with your post except for the last sentence. Havingba trade fall apart like that is something that Bergevin has never had to handle. Its understandable for him to bumble it the way he did. He panicked, the good thing was that it was relatively minor and was a good learning experience for him.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
The guy was traded countless times and probably saw Dale Tallon trade a bunch of guys too. He must've used the same way of dealing with trading players that he has seen in the past.

Just because JG can't let go doesn't mean MB didn't handle it professionally. I get that JG is very fond of the city and the team, but this is a business and there's some nasty things that happen.

I have to be behind whitesnake on this. just.have.to.

Josh gorges showed our players ''how'' to play. He wasn't a captain but I'm pretty sure one upset fellow right now is Gallagher. they have been behaving like brothers for 2 years now and I can't imagine how hard it was for other players to learn the news. He has given his all here and was a role model and he *could* genuinely have hoped for captaincy if gionta wouldn't have resigned. I honestly Like Bergevin despite the fact that I don't agree with everything he's done, but I have a hard time with a guy like gorges being pushed aside that easily, and I'm not sure it sends the right message to players who will show up every game getting caught with pucks all over their frames..

that being said, it does not mean the move is a bad one, its just the way to do it. I thought we could have sacrificed moen and other spare parts instead...

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Since signing his contract I thought he was a little overpaid, especially since his level of play was pretty alarming in 2012-2013. Also, I thought last season he play was better overall, but he lacked consistency, some nights he was a top 4, some nights he played like #5.

I think the return is a little low though, but I can live with that since I think Gilbert is the better player overall between the two and Weaver is able to do pretty much the same job (he's maybe at 80% of Gorges level), but cheaper.

Gorges has worked hard for the team and I respect that, but they needed some cap space and had an opportunity (they probably knew that Gilbert was signing when they decided to do the trade with TML).

+ Beaulieu and Tinordi I mean since Bergevin and Therrien are there they like to give the youth some pretty good chances (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival).

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Bergevin is not so stupid as to trade an important part of his team without having investigated what Gorges trade value was... and it wasn't as good as we all thought it would be. Gorges was a great leader and sacrificed his body many times for the team. He just wasn't such a good D although he WILL be very useful to the Sabres with all the kids coming up. The Habs might miss him this year but they're investing for the future with Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, etc. Obviously, they think Subban can be a leader for them.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
If we had traded Subban for picks and prospects we could have fit Gorges under the cap. Just saying.

Pavel_Bure

Oct 6, 2006
He was traded because we have 7 guys better than him. He took it like a little ***** too

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Not sure how this could be a surprise to Gorges. We have 2 1st round left-handed dmen pushing hard for a full-time spot. They both have spent 2 years in the AHL honing their skills. If you are a left-handed veteran dman on the Habs not named Markov you have to realize that you might be moved to make room. Common sense really.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
now that we only have 2.6 million cap space, do you think Gorges knows why he was traded yet?

Next year will be much harder to fill out the team if the cap don't go up a bunch.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Well below market value? He's not worth much. I'm just glad Bergie didn't hold him in as high regard as some of the people here do.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Since the season has ended, when asked about leadership, Subban keeps saying that he tries to lead on the ice with his play. That no one respects players who talks a lot but can't deliver.

This summer Gionta and Gorges both left the team.

Looks like management agreed with Subban

or management is simply going trough with what they've said in their end of season presser ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad