News Article: Gorges doesn't know why he was traded

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well below market value? He's not worth much. I'm just glad Bergie didn't hold him in as high regard as some of the people here do.

Remember how people said Mike Cammalleri was worth a 1st?

Now they're saying that Josh Gorges was worth more than a 2nd.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I like Gorges at times, does some little things well, blocks shots, well-positioned, makes the simple play, not a terrible skater, but his skill set was too one-sided for me. Everything defensively was sound, his offence, however, was a black hole. Not that all dman need to contribute offensively, but the attributes he brought defensively other guys could do too if they had to.

He wasn't really physical, couldn't clear the crease, couldn't do much to protect Price if things got chippy with him on the ice.

I don't mind stay at home guys, but if there going to be completely deficient offensively I'd prefer a big, mean, sound defensive guy, which easier said than done, or get someone who has a better two-way game, I honestly think Marc needed to shed the salary as much as we needed a different direction. Not only did he save money, but I think Gilbert brings more to the table if we couldn't get our hands on a big stay-at-home guy.

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Management is high on one of Tinordi or Beaulieu finally making the leap to the big leagues next year. Gorges was moved simply to make room for at least one of them. The saved cap space also helps, and we get rid of him before he goes into rapid decline. Of course, it's unlikely Bergevin said any of these business things directly to his face, and probably gave him some cookie cutter answer.

Halifaxhab*

Management is high on one of Tinordi or Beaulieu finally making the leap to the big leagues next year. Gorges was moved simply to make room for at least one of them. The saved cap space also helps, and we get rid of him before he goes into rapid decline. Of course, it's unlikely Bergevin said any of these business things directly to his face, and probably gave him some cookie cutter answer.

That doesn't sound like Bergevin. Everything I've read on this site about him, Im surprised he didn't go to Gorges house in the night set fire to it, hand him 2tickets to Buffalo, slap him then kiss his wife.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Remember how people said Mike Cammalleri was worth a 1st?

With a lot more patience he would have been. Trading him mid-game will go down as one of the dumbest moves in organization history. Mike Milbury is known as the most impatient GM in league history and he still waited for a game to be over.

Had Gauthier waited for the deadline he would have netted himself a first round pick. Heck Hal Gill was worth a second rounder at that point, remember?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
With a lot more patience he would have been. Trading him mid-game will go down as one of the dumbest moves in organization history. Mike Milbury is known as the most impatient GM in league history and he still waited for a game to be over.

Had Gauthier waited for the deadline he would have netted himself a first round pick. Heck Hal Gill was worth a second rounder at that point, remember?
Doesn't anyone remember that some big contracts were coming up and would have to be funded? You're guessing that some team would have ceded a first rounder but I don't see it. (The Gill trade was manna from heaven for Gauthier.)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Cammy had a heavy, backloaded contract -- for the record. Not many teams would bite on that.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Why do the Canadiens owe Gorges an explanation?

They were responsible for rescuing his career and helping him make a name for himself. Yep, Gorges worked for it but in the end the guy got a great contract for what he brings to the table. Let's see how "good" Gorges looks on this Buffalo team.

Gorges seems like a good guy but he reminds of such a brown noser too. LOL Just because he talked about how great and proud he was to be a Hab doesn't mean that other players didn't/don't feel the same way.

Good luck to him in Buffalo but I can't help to think he'll pull a Komisarek and be exposed after being surrounded by quality d-men in Montreal.

I'm mesmerized he needs help with the answer. Just another ploy to hear himself talk I guess.

Halifaxhab*

so I guess the whole, making cap space and letting the youth step up and if they even meet half their potential can be more effective was too much for him to catch on to?

Glad we got rid of both Gorges and Gionta!

Both were good, role types. But for their cap hits now, I think we're better off.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Depending on when you trade a player they might be worth more or less. Had we traded Diaz right after Subban's holdout, he would've been worth more because of his PP success with Markov during that stretch.

Anyways, I think the reason Gorges was traded is to allow the younger guys to step up in the locker room. Also, his play style won't let him have a long career or be as effective. This season we saw him get injured more often than in the past, maybe the habs brass felt that it was best to trade him before he lost all his value.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Gorges was a good foot soldier but made too much for what he brought to the table. I think he felt he was more important to the team than management thought as well. I blame Toronto for leaking the trade info which sounds like something a division rival would do.

I also think him and PK did not get along that great either especially after what Gorges said about him in the media while PK was unsigned after the lockout. There was a 24 CH episode where someone left a pylon statue or something at his stall after a loss where he coughed up the puck, seemed like it was PK who did it and Gorges didn't look impressed. Only speculation but add this in when PK needs a new deal on top of his high salary, and the spots needed for Emelin, Beaulieu, and Tinordi, and here we are.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Pretty sure I've stayed out of this thread, but it's tempting to weigh in, so here goes.

Before the lockout Gorges was arguably my favorite Hab, but since than his stock has plummeted, and it has nothing to do with his on ice play, his personality just rubs me the wrong way, his comments, tweets and locker room speeches (24CH) got old. I'm thankful for his years of service, and his willingness to put his body on the line, but wasn't sad to see him go. :dunno:

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
Depending on when you trade a player they might be worth more or less. Had we traded Diaz right after Subban's holdout, he would've been worth more because of his PP success with Markov during that stretch.

Anyways, I think the reason Gorges was traded is to allow the younger guys to step up in the locker room. Also, his play style won't let him have a long career or be as effective. This season we saw him get injured more often than in the past, maybe the habs brass felt that it was best to trade him before he lost all his value.

So they free up enough cap to sign PK to his contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just because he talked about how great and proud he was to be a Hab doesn't mean that other players didn't/don't feel the same way.

(...)

I'm mesmerized he needs help with the answer. Just another ploy to hear himself talk I guess.

Gorges is auditioning for his next gig, becoming the future Netflix pep talk guy. :sarcasm:

netflix-hockey-team-pep-talk.jpg

“Do you remember that scene from that movie on Netflix? The team was down,
and the coach, he gave that speech. Yea yea, you remember that scene?
Remember what he said? Well that gentlemen is what I’m saying!â€

nickd767

May 22, 2014
Ottawa
i think the biggest loser in all of this is Gallagher! where is the little man going to live this year now that gorges is gone?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad