News Article: Gorges doesn't know why he was traded

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/sports/article_3cecb8fa-1168-11e4-ac77-0017a43b2370.html

“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest,” Gorges said. “It was a shock to me.”

“I would’ve loved to stay and try to achieve my ultimate goal in Montreal and win a Stanley Cup there, but that wasn’t meant to be,” Gorges said. “Whatever the reasons, that’s not our job as players to figure out. Our job is to show up and play the way we’re supposed to play and do our jobs and help our team win. It’s the management’s job to put their team together and try to figure out how to make their team better and how to make their team succeed in the playoffs and succeed under a cap system.

Pressed on whether he received a satisfactory reason for being traded and subsequent closure, Gorges said: “Not really, and to be honest, I don’t need one or want one. It doesn’t do me any good, it doesn’t do my family any good . . . the thing for us is to look ahead, look to the future and what’s in front of us.”

At one point, that trade seemed to me to be taken directly through Pierre Gauthier's way of doing business....And frankly...that's not a good point. Wouldn't you at least talk to your guy....prevent him of what's happening...explain to him your thought process? Shouldn't it be the human thing to do? I really didn't like how they handled Josh's departure, even if at one point, I thought he was expendable.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
it definitely sucks for josh

but it was a horrible contract.. an we needed the spot for emelin, tinordi, beaulieu

in hindsight the trade makes perfect sense, but for a team player like josh i can so imagine how much it must of been bewildering for him to get traded like that

but we needed the space.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
it definitely sucks for josh

but it was a horrible contract.. an we needed the spot for emelin, tinordi, beaulieu

in hindsight the trade makes perfect sense, but for a team player like josh i can so imagine how much it must of been bewildering for him to get traded like that

but we needed the space.

Again, I have no problem with the trade. Though I would have expected a package and getting more in return...I mean it's not even a 2nd next year...it's in 2016. Noo too much into the 2016 crop...but doesn't look like a 2015 type of draft. We'll see though. But I had no problem with him leaving. My problems are more about the way it ended.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
At one point after the playoffs, and i think it was after he signed his new contract, Therrien said, and almost predicted, that some big decisions were to be taken and that they can't be afraid of doing so. That screamed to me ''vet trade''. They couldn't stick to the emotional way of concluding business in hockey, Josh was a warrior but couldn't move a puck to save his life. I think they realized for what he's paid, it's too much of a cap hit.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Again, I have no problem with the trade. Though I would have expected a package and getting more in return...I mean it's not even a 2nd next year...it's in 2016. Noo too much into the 2016 crop...but doesn't look like a 2015 type of draft. We'll see though. But I had no problem with him leaving. My problems are more about the way it ended.

The guy was traded countless times and probably saw Dale Tallon trade a bunch of guys too. He must've used the same way of dealing with trading players that he has seen in the past.

Just because JG can't let go doesn't mean MB didn't handle it professionally. I get that JG is very fond of the city and the team, but this is a business and there's some nasty things that happen.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

I don't know if he was being shopped regardless or if MB felt Franson was too good a deal to pass up on and then once everything was leaked regarding the discussions MB felt like he had no other options or what, the whole thing was a bit odd, but overall MB gets a passing grade from me as I like the moves he made this off-season, until and if he botches up the Subban deal he's doing very well this off-season imo.

I don't like the way he seemingly tries to leverage his young RFA's for every nickel he can by waiting until the very last minute to sign them, like Eller, PK, but if he locks them up, I guess it's all that matters.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
I really can see Josh's play dropping off in the next 2 years and if that 2nd amounts to anything we'll forever thank MB. He's blocks shots and a leader, but at 3.9 we can have more. Thought the 2nd was a fine return for that caliber player and buffalo feels it was worth it to get that leader... Win-win

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I'll probably get ripped for saying this but knowing now that Gorges went for a 2nd rounder in 2016 I would've gladly seen if Gorges+Eller could get us Yakupov. Right now it just seems like Eller+2nd in 2016 for Yakupov so...

I say Edmonton because they are trying to get bigger and better defensively. Of course Gorges would've had to accept a trade there.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Didn't Bergevin already explain it was needed to make room for the kids? Also to help fix the "left-handedness" issue. Plus of course clearing out his contract.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I already miss Gorges :(

Who? :laugh:

Edit: He can't figure it out?... Yeah right. Too many Left handed dman + 2 rookies that are about to be better than you.

Won't miss him at all.

Didn't Bergevin already explain it was needed to make room for the kids? Also to help fix the "left-handedness" issue. Plus of course clearing out his contract.

Yep, except Gorges is still an hypocrite as far as personality goes.

Last edited:

Saintpatrick*

How so?

I feel bad for him but this is a business. We need to start integrating Tinordi and Beaulieu at some point and needed the cap space.

This kind of reminds me of the time Muller was traded and was so devastated about the trade he didn't want to play for the Islanders and wanted to retire.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
How so?

I feel bad for him but this is a business. We need to start integrating Tinordi and Beaulieu at some point and needed the cap space.

This kind of reminds me of the time Muller was traded and was so devastated about the trade he didn't want to play for the Islanders and wanted to retire.

He's pretending he doesn't know why he was traded when it was made clear publicly in the media. He's just complaining about his fate indirectly. The guy is an hypocrite and I've been siding with this conclusion since the last lockout when he defended players' contracts and then when the season started turned on Subban for not signing right away. I just dislike his personality. He's a good hockey player and all, but I would never have beer with him.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Who? :laugh:

Edit: He can't figure it out?... Yeah right. Too many Left handed dman + 2 rookies that are about to be better than you.

Won't miss him at all.

If we are trying to make room for rookies then why did we sign a UFA d-man? Kinda contradictory, no?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
When the Buffalo coaching staff shows tape of him repeatedly tossing the puck into the corner to the other team in the offensive zone, perhaps he'll understand better.

I agree that it could have been handled better.. but let's not forget when he was traded...right at the start of free agency. Bergevin was a busy man that day..I don't think he had a lot of time to spend commiserating with Josh before he was dealt. Gorges isn't the first veteran not to know beforehand that he was being shopped, and he won't be the last. We're talking about a 7-year vet who was paid very well for his services. Not exactly an all-time Hab by any means but a solid vet.

It's nice that he wanted to stay, and he was a warrior for the team. I wish him well 78 games of the season.

MrDontGive

Nov 16, 2010
If we are trying to make room for rookies then why did we sign a UFA d-man? Kinda contradictory, no?

trade away LHD, acquire RHD... where were you last season?
Rookies are both lefties... did I really explain this?...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

The rookies are left handed, the UFAs are right handed. You put the finger on what was wrong with the D core right there, so it isn't contradictory.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There's no right way to announce a trade to a veteran that loves his team and has no clue it's coming. I think people make too much out of how these things are handled.
There's no right way to fire people. It's not like Bergevin said pick up your crap and gtfo.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/sports/article_3cecb8fa-1168-11e4-ac77-0017a43b2370.html

At one point, that trade seemed to me to be taken directly through Pierre Gauthier's way of doing business....And frankly...that's not a good point. Wouldn't you at least talk to your guy....prevent him of what's happening...explain to him your thought process? Shouldn't it be the human thing to do? I really didn't like how they handled Josh's departure, even if at one point, I thought he was expendable.

I'm very surprised that this post comes from you
It's been quite awhile now that players have been referred to as assets by many including the media as well as GMs. If you've taken the decision to "move" an asset he essentially is no longer part of your organization, and if he's no longer part of said organization than he is due no explanation or insight.
The player remains in hockey with a different team and you want the Habs to share with him their thought process?
I think not, just my take....

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Its a business but Bergevin could have handled it better IMO.

Gorges said while he did add the Sabres to his list of teams he'll go to, he said he told the Habs he was still thinking about maybe ok'ing a trade to Toronto, so why not speak to the guy one last time before you finally trade him.

I fully understand where Gorges is coming from though, when Bergevin came asked the players to take Galchenyuk and Gallagher in, in their rookie years, Gorges was the only one to step up, Galchenyuk family ended up moving to Mtl with him, and Gorges took him Gallagher when no one else would.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Weaver brings what Gorges does for 2.2 mil less. Josh was overpaid. Habs got two veteran D in Gilbert and Weaver for a bit more than what Josh costs. Business decision!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00