News Article: Gorges doesn't know why he was traded

Habarazzi

Feb 19, 2008
He should thank the Canadiens management for giving him that $3.9M/per contract and ****.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
In Gorge's case it should be called Moneypuck...:sarcasm:
They talk about that subject in the movie... how a GM needs to keep in mind it's a business and not an emotional relationship.

Although I loved Gorges attitude, he wasn't a complete package, and his salary didn't help him. He will be a great addition to the young Sabres squad. A team that will reach the Stanley Cup finals before the Edmonton Oilers... mark my words.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Not sure how Gorges is overpaid, he makes 3.9M, thats only 5.65% of the 69 cap.

That is decent for 2nd pair dmen. IMO Bergevin had a choice of Emelin or Gorges, and picked Emelin, I too would pick Emelin, Gorges is better defensevily, but I think Emelin has a lot of offensive upside we haven't seen much of yet, and I like the way he moves the puck, he is a decent puck mover while playing RD, by moving to LD passing lanes will be much easier for him.

Also Gorges is 6'1 201, not sure why ppl are calling him a small guy, he isn't big, but he isn't small.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Loads of people are quick to bash Emelin and to say he was the one who should've been shipped out... That being said, very few people, before the series against Boston, noticed (on this forum) how big of a concern it could be for Emelin to be the ONLY physical d-man dressed in this Habs squad, against guys like Lucic, Iginla, Soderberg, Marchand, etc., and this, night in and night out.

"Oh, but, but... he wasn't great against the Rangers." Newsflash bro: NOBODY was! And Emelin had been facing Lucic night in night out for the past two weeks before this series. He was the only answer we had to the guy, and if you paid any attention, Lucic wasn't too noticable in that series against Montreal.

I say the guy deserves some rope.

As for Gorges, the guy was limited, played a style of hockey that would eventually break his body down, and now was the time to ship him out, and replace him with a partner more suitable for Emelin (Gilbert), thus allowing Alexei to play on his natural side.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He should thank the Canadiens management for giving him that $3.9M/per contract and ****.

Exactly.

He doesn't know why he was traded ... is he stupid or just playing stupid? He's gone because his agent did too good a job getting him a long-term deal on a salary he doesn't deserve, given his performance and role.

He's starting to sound like that guy with the red stapler who got demoted in Office Space, despite overwhelming evidence ...

office.jpg

Bergevin: "Josh, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you to Buffalo.
We have some new people coming in, and we need all the cap space we can get.
So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there,
that would be terrific, OK?"

Milton-Waddums-Office-Space-Swingline-Red-Stapler.jpg

Gorges: "I don't understand. Why ... why was I traded?" Why? Please tell me!!!
I told my agent that if they move me to Toronto, then, then I'm, I'm not reporting,
I'm going to veto the trade. And, and I told my friends too, because they've not
given me any reason why they tried to move me, and I used think I'd be the next
captain, that I was within that window, and I imagined all kinds of new speeches
I would be using next year in the dressing room for the 24CH folks, and they were
spectacular sotto-voce rallying cries from the heart, but then, they switched it all
up on me, from Toronto to Buffalo, but I kept my red home Habs jersey in case,
because I was meant to be a Habs captain, and I kept getting plastered against
the glass, because I thought I'd be a captain, and it's not okay because if they take
my sweater away then I'll set the media on fire... and keep asking embarassing
questions about how I was mistreated, woe is me ..."

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Cause a story doesn't usually have two sides? At the end of the day, what Gorges is saying is just his version. He may be exaggerating some facts, he is probably omitting others. That Bergevin chose not to engage on waging a war through the media means that he's wrong?

It has also been widely reported that Bergevin had no hand in tipping the media about Franson being involved in a trade with Gorges. How was a lack of human factor involved when the leak to the media involving the botched Leaf trade talks were attributed to Gorges' own entourage? What about the human factor in acting with discretion and as a professional in not discussing those private conversations had by a GM involving a player, with anyone else? Bergevin has assured repeatedly that at no time did he reveal any information regarding Gorges' trade talks to anyone -- why is Bergevin not entitled to the same benefit of the doubt that you are so adamantly and exclusively ascribing to Gorges?

Where's the link that says that the lead was attibuted to Gorges? Again, I'm not dissing Bergevin on the leak. But once the leak is done and you see how something happened....aren't you then allow to diss the move? Was it Gauthier who leaked the Cammy needs to pay his jersey story? Yet, did it stop us to blame Gauthier for that kind of behavior? Not sure what your point is....sorry but once the leak is out, you have more infos and it's fair game to analyse it. So again, not sure why your post is all about the leak which in the end, isn't even my point. Whether he leaked it or not it's irrelevant. But once it's leaked...it's out there to comment.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't feel you have any obligation to explain to a traded player the reason or motives of the trade. MB probably just told JG "Josh, you've been traded to the Sabres, contact this and this person" that is IMO enough. No need to explain trade motives to a player that is not part of the team anymore.

Totally agree. The amount of hand holding and tissue sharing that people are coming to expect from the business/professional world is downright embarrassing.

Halifaxhab*

Exactly.

He doesn't know why he was traded ... is he stupid or just playing stupid? He's gone because his agent did too good a job getting him a long-term deal on a salary he doesn't deserve, given his performance and role.

He's starting to sound like that guy with the red stapler who got demoted in Office Space, despite overwhelming evidence ...

office.jpg

Bergevin: "Josh, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you to Buffalo.
We have some new people coming in, and we need all the cap space we can get.
So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there,
that would be terrific, OK?"

Milton-Waddums-Office-Space-Swingline-Red-Stapler.jpg

Gorges: "I don't understand. Why ... why was I traded?" Why? Please tell me!!!
I told my agent that if they move me to Toronto, then, then I'm, I'm not reporting,
I'm going to veto the trade. And, and I told my friends too, because they've not
given me any reason why they tried to move me, and I used think I'd be the next
captain, that I was within that window, and I imagined all kinds of new speeches
I would be using next year in the dressing room for the 24CH folks, and they were
spectacular sotto-voce rallying cries from the heart, but then, they switched it all
up on me, from Toronto to Buffalo, but I kept my red home Habs jersey in case,
because I was meant to be a Habs captain, and I kept getting plastered against
the glass, because I thought I'd be a captain, and it's not okay because if they take
my sweater away then I'll set the media on fire... and keep asking embarassing
questions about how I was mistreated, woe is me ..."

:handclap::laugh:

Epic Post!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
[/B]

1. Bergevin will never provide further detail but his MO is to dot all the i's and cross all the t's when dealing with players. Trades being fluid, once there was a possible Franson deal, then you check with player if he would waive his NT clause. Of course it just suits your narrative that MB mishandled the situation.

2. Getting rid of the contract and getting a 2nd rounder is very good return. Keep in mind that MB clearly wanted to get rid of Gorges's contract - even negotiating with 2 division rivals.

Don't get this. So everybody acts like that. They give a NMC or NTC clauses or limited clauses to their players, still DEAL the player to whoever and then ask if they'd go there? I don't think so. 'Cause at one point, if you do that and the player says, forget it I'm not going, you then have to deal with a player who knows you want him out. And once that's done.....you know that the said player is unhappy and at one point you have to deal him...but then to teams that this player wants you to trade him.

And frankly, we were lucky that Gorges added Buffalo to his list....'cause I guess we're still stuck with him or gets worst than a 2nd in 2016. And then, if Bergevin thinks that's the way to do business...why didn't he repeat it? Why didn't he trade Gorges to another team not in Gorges list? Can we bet that Edmonton wasn't on Gorges list? Pretty sure they'd be even more ready to give a better return than what we got but then, Bergevin didn't do it. Could it be because he thought it didn't look good already....let's not make the mistake twice?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Where's the link that says that the lead was attibuted to Gorges? Again, I'm not dissing Bergevin on the leak. But once the leak is done and you see how something happened....aren't you then allow to diss the move? Was it Gauthier who leaked the Cammy needs to pay his jersey story? Yet, did it stop us to blame Gauthier for that kind of behavior? Not sure what your point is....sorry but once the leak is out, you have more infos and it's fair game to analyse it. So again, not sure why your post is all about the leak which in the end, isn't even my point. Whether he leaked it or not it's irrelevant. But once it's leaked...it's out there to comment.

The thread is about how Gorges writhing about how he was somehow treated unfairly. And yet, Bergevin just did his job. The leak issue is just to show that there is a side to the story that is Bergevin's, he's adamantly maintained that neither he nor his entourage had any doing in trade info getting out. Is he right -- who knows. There are plenty of instances where he's maintained his version, just as there are plenty of interventions about Gorges not letting go and turning this into a sorry spectacle, where there is no other end game but to embarass Bergevin.

And yet -- no one started a thread about how the leak sprung from Gorges' side. Rather simple why that is the case -- Bergevin has moved on and sees no value in revisiting this. Gorges seems to have unresolved emotional issues -- he's not really looking for answers as much as he's looking for attention. The more skeptical amongst us would go further and flat-out say he's trying to settle a score, using all the leverage he has left.

I don't see anything good coming out of this. Look at most posts in this thread -- Gorges was thanked in another thread for his services but now ... his continued crybaby behavior is only contributing to erode the goodwill he had created.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I think a better title for this thread would be "Gorges doesn't understand why he was traded"...

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I think a better title for this thread would be "Gorges doesn't undersand why he was traded"...

:sarcasm:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Subtle yet Loud.

Soft yet Strong.

I see what you did there.

Naoned

In the end, the guy was REALLY dissapointed to leave. Which personnally, I have no idea how we can bash a guy like that for expressing those types of emotions.

That's exactly the way I'm seeing it. He was not the best player, far from it, but he was dedicated to the CH. That's something you have to respect if you call yourself a habs fan. The level of contempt in some of the posts in this thread are mind boggling to me.

GallySquared

GoHabsGo
Sep 25, 2010
Canada
AsheyMarahArt.com
He's pretending he doesn't know why he was traded when it was made clear publicly in the media. He's just complaining about his fate indirectly. The guy is an hypocrite and I've been siding with this conclusion since the last lockout when he defended players' contracts and then when the season started turned on Subban for not signing right away. I just dislike his personality. He's a good hockey player and all, but I would never have beer with him.

Vokiel - Thank you! That's EXACTLY when I started to dislike Gorges too. That lockout really ruined his image in my eyes.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
The problem with Gorges is that he's extremely vocal in the dressing room (24CH showed us that), and goes onto the ice and doesn't deliver consistantly.

If we want cheerleaders, I would prefer we get ice girls.

bouquet

Mar 30, 2014
Québec
Georges was the only player wanting at first to see Carey Price after Subban's goal in double overtime against Boston, when he saw every one going that way , he changed direction.

1 min. 25

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Of course Gorges is emotional about it. He loved it here and wanted to play in Montreal and his answers reflect that. There are no reasons to doubt the way the management handled the situation, it's only a player being shocked and frustrated about it. Obviously he's not going to say : ''I was overpaid so they got rid of my contract so they could have more flexibility going forward''.

Reading the quotes, Gorges strike me as a clever guy. He knows it's not his job to manage a team and that he needs to look forward.

And he refused to play for Toronto. Props to him.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Not sure how Gorges is overpaid, he makes 3.9M, thats only 5.65% of the 69 cap.

That is decent for 2nd pair dmen. IMO Bergevin had a choice of Emelin or Gorges, and picked Emelin, I too would pick Emelin, Gorges is better defensevily, but I think Emelin has a lot of offensive upside we haven't seen much of yet, and I like the way he moves the puck, he is a decent puck mover while playing RD, by moving to LD passing lanes will be much easier for him.

Also Gorges is 6'1 201, not sure why ppl are calling him a small guy, he isn't big, but he isn't small.

Nope.
Stood beside Gorges and hes barely 6' and more like 190 lbs
(i'm 5'10, 185 lb)

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I'm sure he's a nice guy, and turned Toronto down, but it's a business. IMO he is redundant in Montreal. We have a much more balanced d-corps now, Emelin can play on his left, all together its a better defence.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
A player that had this team to heart, bleed red, white and blue and fans **** on him.

People are pathetic sometime. :laugh:

I wanted him traded too but I respect the guy nonetheless. MB acted in a stupid manner in this.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00