OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Why do the powerhouse EPL teams like Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea always play these Washington Generals type teams?

The Premier League is beautiful because a lot of the teams lower in the table can compete with the glamorous clubs, and they often do. Any given weekend. It's the type of stuff that kept Liverpool fun to watch even they were finishing eighth a few years ago. They were analogous to the Devils teams that would crash and burn in the first round but still gave us a lot of good things to watch in the regular season, for me.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
"We're knocking on the door, so I know what to do: sub out our best player by a mile for Darren Mattocks who totally sucks!!!" HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Here's what I don't understand about American soccer fans: how do you choose a team?

I can understand Croatia on a national level if you spent a few weeks of the summer there. Or maybe even Barca, real Madrid, Arsenal, Tottenham or PSG if you like those towns. All of which I do. But enough to be invested? That always struck me as odd.

How do you decide? It's even more perplexing given that Liverpool might be the most sh*t town I've been to in Europe yet so many seem to support these teams which are in essentially the staten island of Europe.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Here's what I don't understand about American soccer fans: how do you choose a team?

I can understand Croatia on a national level if you spent a few weeks of the summer there. Or maybe even Barca, real Madrid, Arsenal, Tottenham or PSG if you like those towns. All of which I do. But enough to be invested? That always struck me as odd.

How do you decide? It's even more perplexing given that Liverpool might be the most sh*t town I've been to in Europe yet so many seem to support these teams which are in essentially the staten island of Europe.

I don't, I watch the Red Bulls and that's it. I've never understood these people who pick a team that they can barely ever watch live, even more so now that we have 2 teams in the area. I consider most of them Euro snobs.

It's going to take a lot of time still but it's already grown so much in the last 10 years alone but the more MLS is supported the more the league will grow to the point it eventually will be a top league in the world.

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

What I can tell you is that as a Devils fan who goes to Newark and a Yankees fan who goes to the South Bronx to watch his games, sexiness of the locale was automatically NOT a factor in me choosing a team, nor do I think we're in a position to go there considering the blasted post-apocalyptic stretches of Jersey we all know we traverse to get to the Rock. When I went to Anfield for the first time back in May, the area actually reminded me a lot of some urban parts of Jersey. It wasn't all that pretty, but definitely vibrant and the people are great, and that is punctuated by the fact that Liverpool as a city has a history of economic hardship [See: Manchester Ship Canal] which overcoming is a serious point of community pride, and that is evident abound on Merseyside. Oh, and the stadium itself is f***ing immaculate, in addition to being one of the cathedrals of world football due to all those famous European nights in the 1970s and 80s when that side from a downtrodden port city would knock off giants from the continent over, and over... and over.

Liverpool is a proud working class city with a people madly in love with their football teams. That was one of the factors in how I became a fan. Football without fans is nothing, and Liverpool have some of the most dedicated and vocal support you will find in Europe and the world, whereas in London you get plastic flags when you enter the ground.

Also, people probably aren't Real Madrid or Barcelona fans in America because "they like those cities" :laugh:, although now I can probably say I genuinely love the city of Liverpool. Can't wait to go back.

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I don't, I watch the Red Bulls and that's it. I've never understood these people who pick a team that they can barely ever watch live, even more so now they we have 2 teams in the area. I consider most of them Euro snobs.

I know they play a longer schedule and went to the Champions League Final, but this is funny to me considering there were more Liverpool matches on TV available in my home over the last calendar year than Red Bull matches. If you can't wake up at 7:00 am on a Saturday to watch the game solely because it's 7:00 am on a Saturday, you're probably not a fan, and that's ok.

You know it's possible to be a bigger fan of Premier League club than a MLS club and still support MLS.

If wanting to watch the best soccer in the world instead of forcing yourself to only watch MLS makes you a Eurosnob, then I'm guilty as charged. I'll keep that in mind next World Cup when I'm behind USA, as I always am.

It's going to take a lot of time still but it's already grown so much in the last 10 years alone but the more MLS is supported the more the league will grow to the point it eventually will be a top league in the world.

If by eventually you mean 40-50 years, then maybe. USA should go to a World Cup Final before our domestic league gets to that point.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I know they play a longer schedule and went to the Champions League Final, but this is funny to me considering there were more Liverpool matches on TV available in my home over the last calendar year than Red Bull matches. If you can't wake up at 7:00 am on a Saturday to watch the game solely because it's 7:00 am on a Saturday, you're probably not a fan, and that's ok.

You know it's possible to be a bigger fan of Premier League club than a MLS club and still support MLS.

If wanting to watch the best soccer in the world instead of forcing yourself to only watch MLS makes you a Eurosnob, then I'm guilty as charged. I'll keep that in mind next World Cup when I'm behind USA, as I always am.

If by eventually you mean 40-50 years, then maybe. USA should go to a World Cup Final before our domestic league gets to that point.

I meant live as in actually attending games and a Euro snob isn't someone who watches whatever team and the MLS, it's someone who only watches whatever Euro team instead of supporting their local team as well.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I meant live as in actually attending games and a Euro snob isn't someone who watches whatever team and the MLS, it's someone who only watches whatever Euro team instead of supporting their local team as well.

I'm very fortunate to be able to swing the luxury of Devils season tickets [going somewhere with this example], but watching the Devils in person approximately 30 times a season does no more or less to my Devils fandom as it is, it just is. Anyone can go to live games and say they're a "fan" [especially in a huge market like NYC where going to watch a game is cool thing to do], but we've spent how many posts collectively making fun of the MSG suits and Dolan Dust over the years now?

Being a fan boils down to your emotional investment, the correlation between your mood and the team's performance, and to how closely you follow them strictly in regards to standings, statistics, player movements, etc. I've gone to something like 25 Red Bull matches over the last five/six years, and in each of those things I just listed, Liverpool is still of far greater importance to me than RBNY. On the flip side and anecdotally, I have a buddy who's from a lot closer to Liverpool (Ireland) and is a massive Reds fan and he's still never been to Anfield.

Don't get me wrong, if/when RBA hosts an MLS Cup Final, I'll be there in full voice, but my point is it's all relative and there's no single silver bullet be be able to confidently claim fandom of a specific team.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I have 0 interest in supporting something I can barely ever see live, not saying you need full season tickets to be a better fan, not my point at all. Supporting something that is across the ocean that I have no ties to whatsoever does absolutely nothing for me.

Not saying you're not a good Liverpool fan, it's just not for me.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Grinded out another solid win last night with a half-Red Bulls II lineup. Seeing Casseres Jr. and Adams together in midfield was like the MLS version of the Spiderman meme. I think we will be in good hands when Adams is sold to Europe.

Reactions: JMadden11

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Grinded out another solid win last night with a half-Red Bulls II lineup. Seeing Casseres Jr. and Adams together in midfield was like the MLS version of the Spiderman meme. I think we will be in good hands when Adams is sold to Europe.

White was a positive for me. I don’t think Etienne is bringing enough offensively when coming off the bench when the team needs goals so I’m hoping they give White more of a look with some of his minutes.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
White was a positive for me. I don’t think Etienne is bringing enough offensively when coming off the bench when the team needs goals so I’m hoping they give White more of a look with some of his minutes.

Yea agreed, he's a serviceable target guy which we don't have elsewhere on the roster (Abang is a lost cause for this season I would think). I think Etienne's best position is that RM spot with spot minutes spelling BWP at the end of the game. From here on out though, BWP gets every start at striker. Yesterday along with the 15 day break are his rests.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

I'm an Arsenal fan because two of my good friends that I watched the Premier League with are, and they got me in too deep to cheer for someone else or stay neutral. The only good thing about hitching my wagon to them three years ago is that no one can accuse me of being a frontrunner.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
For people with Amazon Prime: watch "All or Nothing" with Manchester City. Incredible. Very unwillingly I became a fan of Guardiola, holy shit is he awesome.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
United are getting bit hard by the third year of Mourinho.

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad