OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
3-1 for RBNY. I only turned it on in the 80th minute so I saw some sloppy soccer and saw them concede to Wondolowski. Was it just me or did they set the line way too high on that free kick?

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
McKennie, Pulisic, and Adams are all going to be out for international break due to the regular occurrence of the American-only injury plague taking them all down. Not missing a beat, our federation replaced all of them with mid-20s MLS lifer scrubs, and an Athletic article advocated for another one in Sean Davis. I hate this national team. We don’t deserve to go back to the World Cup in four years.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Miguel Almiron is going to miss the rest of the regular season for Atlanta.... They need to drop one or two points so the Red Bulls can win the shield.

Aug 10, 2010
NJ
Miguel Almiron is going to miss the rest of the regular season for Atlanta.... They need to drop one or two points so the Red Bulls can win the shield.
Would the red bulls have the tie-breaker if they end up equal on points with atl?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Would the red bulls have the tie-breaker if they end up equal on points with atl?

Red Bull’s likely lose a tie breaker but it’s close.

First tie breaker is wins, currently both teams have 20.

Second is goal differential which Atlanta is 1 better currently.

Third is goals for which Atlanta is currently 7 better.

Reactions: NjDevs4994

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I'm far from a Bradley hater like 99% of the USMNT fan base, but that Falcao goal never happens if Adams is starting.

Looking forward to seeing a CM trio of Adams and Mckennie with Pulisic at CAM.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
We will never be rid of that bald f*** Bradley. He’s a black hole at CM, but he did things the right way (by the standards of our federation) by going back to MLS at a younger age. I’m not even sure Adams would have gotten the start if were healthy. He’s got one foot out the door on the way to Leipzig. That’s not making money for the money counters, besides the one-time transfer fee.

It seems like everyone knows that we’ve got young, special talent worth nurturing except for our money-grubbing federation. For God’s sake, we have young guys in La Liga. That hasn’t happened since Altidore left Villarreal. If top European leagues can get a clue, why can’t the USSF?

Last edited:

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Almiron to Arsenal rumors still swelling around. His injury is "good" for us as NYRB fans (selfishly speaking) but I hope it doesn't hurt his transfer value. Him getting sold to a power 5 league in Europe would be great for MLS. More guys like him can see it as a stepping stone. However, would like to see him sold to a an upper mid-table team in Serie A/La Liga/France/EPL (don't love him for the Bundi) where he can be a sure-fire starter. Hell, even a team like Newcastle where he'd be their best attacking threat.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We will never be rid of that bald **** Bradley. He’s a black hole at CM, but he did things the right way (by the standards of our federation) by going back to MLS at a younger age. I’m not even sure Adams would have gotten the start if were healthy. He’s got one foot out the door on the way to Leipzig. That’s not making money for the money counters, besides the one-time transfer fee.

It seems like everyone knows that we’ve got young, special talent worth nurturing except for our money-grubbing federation. For God’s sake, we have young guys in La Liga. That hasn’t happened since Altidore left Villarreal. If top European leagues can get a clue, why can’t the USSF?

I get the hate for Bradley, but USMNT has been playing the shit out of Adams when he was healthy.

I would say the only reason Bradley even played is because Adams is dealing with an injury. Like it or not, there isn’t much there as far as quality holding/defensive midfielders for the US. There really isn’t another name aside from Bradley I would want to match up against Colombia.

Would’ve been cool to see Davis get a shot if they weren’t playing such strong teams this break, but I could understand the reluctance for USMNT to invest in an older young player with limited potential.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
There are definitely some pieces who can make this qualifying cycle interesting. Pulisic, Mckennie, Adams, Weah, Sargent, Miazga, Brooks, Yedlin, and Steffen - aside from Sargent (needs to get first team min soon), that is a good spine to build around to qualify out of CONCACAF.

I'm confident in an XI like this finishing 2nd in the Hex:

-----------?---------
Weah-Pulisic-Green
Mckennie-Adams
?-Brooks-Miazga-Yedlin
Steffen

Robinson or Villafana look like the likely candidates to stake a claim to the LB position. Wood/Sargent/Jozy as the striker options at the moment.

Aug 10, 2010
NJ
No question this is the best team RBNY has fielded yet. Still going to be a crapshoot with the playoffs though. Let’s see if they can break down the classic playoff bunker strategy these teams use in the playoffs.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
No question this is the best team RBNY has fielded yet. Still going to be a crapshoot with the playoffs though. Let’s see if they can break down the classic playoff bunker strategy these teams use in the playoffs.

If Henry couldn't do it, no one can!

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Wonderful season - truly snuck up on all of us. I had them as a top 3 team in the East, but best season in MLs history? Hell no. So proud of this team and happy for Armas.

We most likely get a red-hot DC team as our reward. Let's get the cup

Reactions: New Jersey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well that’s disrespectful of the player who turned this organization around

We might have won the first shield with him but turning the organization around is not something I agree with nor do I think he deserves a statue.

The team has only missed the playoffs 4 times in it's existence. It's the playoffs where we rarely have any success.

During Henry's tenure we got bounced in the first round 4 out of the 5 years. Also had that horrid encroachment call in the playoffs against DC in 2012.

I like Henry and appreciated his time here and the first shield he brought us but I think "turning this organization" around is an overstatement. He never brought in the sold out crowds and more importantly he never brought us an MLS Cup. The academy and the entire red bull system put into place here has added more to our consistent regular season success than anything else in my opinion.

If we can win it this year BWP and Robles both deserve a trophy outside more than Henry. I think a statue is a high honor and Henry just doesn't make the mark for me.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Is the MLS first round playoffs (1) game?

So top 6 teams in each conference make it into the playoffs, top 2 seeds in each get a bye.

On Wednesday and Thursday this week they are having the 1 game knockout round with seeds 3 and 4 hosting seeds 5 and 6.

The winners of those will advance to play a 2 leg series against seeds 1 and 2 and they reseed as well.

So Red Bulls will either play Philly(6th seed) if they beat nycfc(3rd seed) or if nycfc wins then Red Bulls will play the winner of Columbus (5th seed) vs DC(4th seed).

Conference finals is also a 2 leg series and then MLS Cup Final is 1 game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad