The Athletic - Boston Goodbye Pawtucket - Hello Worcester

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I get that there are folks from RI that are upset about this move, but in reality the state didn't do enough to keep the Sox there. Simple as that. Sure it's a bitter pill to swallow, but underneath it all, this is still a business. And one city was willing to provide more than another, so they won the deal.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I get that there are folks from RI that are upset about this move, but in reality the state didn't do enough to keep the Sox there. Simple as that. Sure it's a bitter pill to swallow, but underneath it all, this is still a business. And one city was willing to provide more than another, so they won the deal.

And its only 5 miles from my house....so Im feeling pretty good about that.

:D

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Watched the WJAR newscast - Rhode Island wanted the Red Sox to put up $28 million, Worcester wants nothing up front from the team but the rent. The team also gets parking and concessions.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Watched the WJAR newscast - Rhode Island wanted the Red Sox to put up $28 million, Worcester wants nothing up front from the team but the rent. The team also gets parking and concessions.

Hard to see why they didn't stay after reading, isn't it? :laugh:

Again, this is a business and the Sox ownership took the best deal.

Reactions: Fenway

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
At tonight’s ballgame. Going over like a November 1995 Browns contest.

Attachments

• D5993ED0-29DD-4BDB-BD08-6F03FA554691.jpeg
    D5993ED0-29DD-4BDB-BD08-6F03FA554691.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
While I'm happy to have the Sox AAA affiliate closer to me, such that I might actually be able to see a game, the way it went down leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Bullying the owner's widow into selling the team, then trying to bully the state into a new stadium is just.... meh.

Props to the state of Rhode Island for not letting FSG bully them, but it's gotta suck for the Pawtucket fans. Two seasons knowing your team is leaving coupled with bad management before/after the announcement.

Might as well move now and play in Fitton field on the Holy Cross Campus -- you'll have the same attendance.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'm pretty happy as well. That's about 10 minutes for me, and it's a crap load closer and cheaper to take the kids than going in to Boston...
Cheaper than going to Boston. But I doubt you'll have the same bargain that you have now at McCoy.

Lucchino will put in all the bells,whistles, baubles, bangles and beads to generate a maximum profit from the bright new venue.

Reactions: BMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hard to see why they didn't stay after reading, isn't it? :laugh:

Again, this is a business and the Sox ownership took the best deal.

that is 1 giant load of shit.

so if Hartford offers Kraft $5 mill and a paid for stadium, he should pack up and leave Foxboro...right?

speaking of Kraft, how is it he was able to fund Gillette Stadium 100% from private funds, no state money...but FSG magically is crying poor and throwing out decades of tradition and loyalty over a few million bucks.

hope you dont like money, because your taxes are about to go through the roof to pay for this sweetheart deal...and dont think it'll end either. FSG will constantly be coming back to the well for more money because there will always be an upgrade they need to make more money

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Ironically, that's close to how much the state is in debt due to a Red Sox legend fleecing them with a video game studio. I'm sure some of you are familiar with Curt Schilling and 38 Studios with the whole "Kingdoms of Amalur" debacle (great game, just way too overreached).

Absolutely sucks for people who live in Providence, and it's not exactly going to end well in Worcester.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Have to wonder if the Ambulance Company and the two Auto-Body Shops in the "WG North" section (i.e. the ballpark) have already signed on, or if they're just going to be taken by eminent domain (and if there will be a fight about that). Two years is a short timeframe.

Also have to wonder if any buildings are going to be seized by eminent domain for the "rework" or Kelley Square. Just looking quickly at the map I half expect them to take the "Kelly Square Pizza" (and upper floor apartments) building to expand the off-ramp, and at least some of the Gulf Gas station property to "straighten out" access to the ballpark

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Luchino smells in this deal. His presser was childish. Careful what you wish for.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Economically speaking, huge win for RI. Fanwise it's obviously a loss and I feel for people who have followed the team and go to games.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
and within 5 years they'll be at the bottom end of attendance, same as every other sports team to try in Worcester
None of the ahl teams had anything to do with the bruins and the echl team is near the top of the league in attendance and the summer college team was in the top 10 in the USA .how good is providence as a ahl market really whould a providence reds team draw if they were a affiliate of a team like St. Louis

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
and within 5 years they'll be at the bottom end of attendance, same as every other sports team to try in Worcester

What often separates the very profitable Triple A teams (Durham, Lehigh Valley, Indianapolis, Sacramento) from those that do poorly (Las Vegas, Syracuse, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Colorado Springs) is general involvement with the communities and presentation when you visit the ballpark.

If Worcester is offered an experience that is primarily "Pay Me, Pay Me, Pay Me" where the moment you get in, regardless of how good the team is that doesn't encourage you to keep spending money on them. And something tells me that's going to be the experience. You want the people coming in to spend money, but you want them to feel happy about that because it's an amenity, not a demand.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What often separates the very profitable Triple A teams (Durham, Lehigh Valley, Indianapolis, Sacramento) from those that do poorly (Las Vegas, Syracuse, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Colorado Springs) is general involvement with the communities and presentation when you visit the ballpark.

If Worcester is offered an experience that is primarily "Pay Me, Pay Me, Pay Me" where the moment you get in, regardless of how good the team is that doesn't encourage you to keep spending money on them. And something tells me that's going to be the experience. You want the people coming in to spend money, but you want them to feel happy about that because it's an amenity, not a demand.

That is the when Ben Mondor operated and when Lucchino took over it changed and fans noticed.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

true.

thats why the Pawsox were always top 3 in attendance and pulled in 10k a game when Mondor was still alive. He was a man of the people and made sure the team was part of the community.

Never raised ticket prices in 35 years, handed out countless tickets to every little league, ymca, boys and girls club, etc in RI, kept it a 'take the family out and catch a game' atmosphere.

with Lucchino and FSG you know what youre gonna get...a go take out a 2nd mortgage to take the family to an overpriced amusement park masquerading as a baseball game.

Pawsox tickets are still: $14 for lower level box seats, $13 for mid level box seats and $9 for adults/$6 for kids general admission seats. General admission can sit in the blue seats in the grandstand, or on the grass hill in left field.

at the new Worcester stadium, you can bet on at least tripling those prices

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Ironically, that's close to how much the state is in debt due to a Red Sox legend fleecing them with a video game studio. I'm sure some of you are familiar with Curt Schilling and 38 Studios with the whole "Kingdoms of Amalur" debacle (great game, just way too overreached).

Absolutely sucks for people who live in Providence, and it's not exactly going to end well in Worcester.
When the sharks left Worcester the p bruins who Allready considered Worcester their market even when the sharks/icecats where there .told fans in Worcester to just drive down to the dunk if they wanted to see minor league hockey why can’t road island fans drive down to Worcester if they want to see aaa baseball

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad