The Athletic - Boston Goodbye Pawtucket - Hello Worcester

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I am a native New Englander and I really can not see Worcester being a viable AAA market, at best it should be AA.

upload_2018-8-7_18-51-21-png.133669

upload_2018-8-7_18-52-32-png.133671

Worcester is technically the second largest city in New England but it has no real suburbs like Providence does.

The Pawsox also drew from the adjacent Massachusetts Southcoast

upload_2018-8-26_5-34-50-png.136321

Pawtucket has built up both a radio and TV presence in Rhode Island and that will NOT happen in Worcester.

PawSox Radio Network
920 AMWHJJ*Providence, RI
1340 AMWNBHNew Bedford, MA
1380 AMWNRIWoonsocket, RI
1230 AMWBLQ#Westerly, RI
1320 AMWRNP#Attleboro/Pawtucket
830 AMWCRN#Worcester, MA
1480 AMWSAR#Fall River, MA
1490 AMWMRC#Milford, MA
970 AMWESO#Sturbridge, MA
96.3 FMWEEI#Cape Cod
105.3 FMWPKZ#Fitchburg, MA
1320 AMWCVR#Randolph, VT
106.5 FMWCFR#Springfield, VT
* Flagship # Limited Basis
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All Saturday Night and Sunday PawSox Home Games to be Televised on myRITV

What the Red Sox don't understand is that fans from RI WILL NOT drive the 40 miles to Worcester.

Other Cities' Stadium Woes Serve Warning To Worcester And The PawSox

this.

RI'ers wouldn't drive to Worcester even without all the other pieces to this move...add in the anger and hatred from having our team stolen and you can be damn sure there wont be any RI plates in those parking lots.

population is a thing as well. the Providence Metro Area has 1.6 million vs 900k for Worcester.

Providence is slightly behind Worcester in city pop (184k vs 180k), but the cities that surround it are:

Cranston - 81k
Warwick - 80k
Pawtucket - 72k
East Providence - 48k
North Providence - 32k
Johnston - 29k

an additional ~345,000

Worcester is surrounded by:

Shrewsbury - 36k
Holden - 19k
Auburn - 16k
Millbury - 13k
Grafton - 14k
Leicester - 11k

an additional ~112, 000

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I am a native New Englander and I really can not see Worcester being a viable AAA market, at best it should be AA.

upload_2018-8-7_18-51-21-png.133669

upload_2018-8-7_18-52-32-png.133671

Worcester is technically the second largest city in New England but it has no real suburbs like Providence does.

The Pawsox also drew from the adjacent Massachusetts Southcoast

upload_2018-8-26_5-34-50-png.136321

Pawtucket has built up both a radio and TV presence in Rhode Island and that will NOT happen in Worcester.

PawSox Radio Network
920 AMWHJJ*Providence, RI
1340 AMWNBHNew Bedford, MA
1380 AMWNRIWoonsocket, RI
1230 AMWBLQ#Westerly, RI
1320 AMWRNP#Attleboro/Pawtucket
830 AMWCRN#Worcester, MA
1480 AMWSAR#Fall River, MA
1490 AMWMRC#Milford, MA
970 AMWESO#Sturbridge, MA
96.3 FMWEEI#Cape Cod
105.3 FMWPKZ#Fitchburg, MA
1320 AMWCVR#Randolph, VT
106.5 FMWCFR#Springfield, VT
* Flagship # Limited Basis
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All Saturday Night and Sunday PawSox Home Games to be Televised on myRITV

What the Red Sox don't understand is that fans from RI WILL NOT drive the 40 miles to Worcester.

Other Cities' Stadium Woes Serve Warning To Worcester And The PawSox
The only team Worcester chould go after was the triple a team in rhode island due to territory rules major league teams use double a more than ever. a lot of superstars skip triple a The Double-A Jump | The Hardball Times

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only team Worcester chould go after was the triple a team in rhode island due to territory rules major league teams use double a more than ever. a lot of superstars skip triple a The Double-A Jump | The Hardball Times

Worcester County is 818,963
Rhode Island is 1.06 million
and Bristol County, MA is another 548,285

Worcester MIGHT draw some fans from Springfield

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Worcester County is 818,963
Rhode Island is 1.06 million
and Bristol County, MA is another 548,285

Worcester MIGHT draw some fans from Springfield
Suffolk/middlesex country fans on a budget ? the sharks drew a good amount of people from those areas when they played the pbruins at the dcu

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
According to CommonWealth magazine, Worcester has agreed to build a new $86 million stadium, with the team contributing about $36 million over the next 30 years. Worcester will own the stadium, reports CommonWealth, “but the ball club will operate it and retain all revenues, including ticket fees, concessions, liquor sales, branding rights, premium seat sales, broadcast rights, merchandise sales and naming rights.” Also according to CommonWealth, Worcester will borrow about $100.8 million in two separate bond offerings to cover the cost of ballpark construction. The city expects to cover debt service cost with tax revenue associated with development of the ballpark and surrounding area, which includes two small hotels, housing, and commercial and restaurant space.

Goodbye, Rhode Island: Elegy for the PawSox

According to the Globe, the state will also provide $32.5 million for infrastructure improvements, and another $2.5 million in housing tax credits for development beyond the stadium project.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
According to CommonWealth magazine, Worcester has agreed to build a new $86 million stadium, with the team contributing about $36 million over the next 30 years. Worcester will own the stadium, reports CommonWealth, “but the ball club will operate it and retain all revenues, including ticket fees, concessions, liquor sales, branding rights, premium seat sales, broadcast rights, merchandise sales and naming rights.” Also according to CommonWealth, Worcester will borrow about $100.8 million in two separate bond offerings to cover the cost of ballpark construction. The city expects to cover debt service cost with tax revenue associated with development of the ballpark and surrounding area, which includes two small hotels, housing, and commercial and restaurant space.

According to the Globe, the state will also provide $32.5 million for infrastructure improvements, and another $2.5 million in housing tax credits for development beyond the stadium project.
I say keep Fenway. This group stuck it to the city and state. Imagine building a big league ball park. The state would have a bigger bill than the big dig.

Reactions: Fenway

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
how do we know this isn't another Hartford or Springfield "bailout/delay" since the Commonwealth basically renovated the Mass Mutual Center on its own?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

so FSG pays only 1 mill a year for the project, Worcester pays 100 mill and the state another 32 mill

so FSG pays essentially nothing, gets a stadium, AND gets all the revenue the stadium generates...and has no overhead because they dont own the stadium

the taxpayer pays 132 million and gets no stadium revenue, but gets to pay all the operation and upkeep bills on the stadium as well as not collecting tax revenue on the stadium itself.

they're gonna bank on other development spurred by the stadium to pay that bill? good f**king luck. major league stadiums dont spur surrounding development, nevermind a AAA park. Like I said before, assume the position Worcester

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I say keep Fenway. This group stuck it to the city and state. Imagine building a big league ball park. The state would have a bigger bill than the big dig.
Henry: Fenway Park won't be around forever
Henry said the structure of Fenway wont last forever like some people think .he said his ownership group has no interest in building a new ballpark but the next one would have to at least look at it

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Henry: Fenway Park won't be around forever
Henry said the structure of Fenway wont last forever like some people think .he said his ownership group has no interest in building a new ballpark but the next one would have to at least look at it

Jacobs has already said TD Garden will be around for at least another 50 years.

The problem with a new Fenway is where in the City of Boston will you have enough land to build it? 20 years ago when Harrington announced plans to build a new park across the street, the area around Fenway Park was not prime real estate - well that is no longer the case.

One thing I won't live to see is Fenway being torn down, watching the old Garden being demolished was traumatic for me.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Jacobs has already said TD Garden will be around for at least another 50 years.

The problem with a new Fenway is where in the City of Boston will you have enough land to build it? 20 years ago when Harrington announced plans to build a new park across the street, the area around Fenway Park was not prime real estate - well that is no longer the case.

One thing I won't live to see is Fenway being torn down, watching the old Garden being demolished was traumatic for me.
in 15-30 years if the economy in Foxborough decreases post patriots dynasty would the patriots and redsox look into building a district like philadelphia in the Boston area?

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
in 15-30 years if the economy in Foxb orough decreases post patriots dynasty would the patriots and redsox look into building a district like philadelphia in the Boston area?

:dunno:

Kraft claims that Gillette Stadium was designed with a baseball retrofit possible which would allow Fenway to be rebuilt and the current site.

20 years ago the state floated the Metroplex concept where a baseball and football stadium could be built in what is now the Seaport but South Boston residents fought and killed the concept.

Then the owner of the parking lots bought the LA Dodgers and gave the land to Rupert Murdoch as part of the sale. Murdoch then flipped the land to a developer and the Seaport came out of nowhere.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Henry stated the current ownership group wants nothing to do with any new ballpark or a gutted and rebulit Fenway even if Fenway in its current state only has 15 useful years left instead of 50

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Henry stated the current ownership group wants nothing to do with any new ballpark or a gutted and rebulit Fenway even if Fenway in its current state only has 15 useful years left instead of 50

Henry and Werner are both approaching 70 and may want to cash out

They paid $660 million in 2002 for the Red Sox and 80% of NESN and what is that worth today????? :dunno:

In this nutty world, the NHL now expects $650 million for an expansion franchise in Seattle, the LA Clippers were bought 3 years ago for $2 billion so the Red Sox could very well fetch THREE BILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless Abigale Johnson ( who is a Bruins STH ) wants to buy them I can think of nobody else in Boston that can afford that except Kraft. The most logical buyer would be Comcast as they send NESN millions every month is subscriber fees.

upload_2018-8-30_3-4-39.png

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bob Kraft is no spring chicken. It'd probably be his sons operating the Sox if Henry decides to sell.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Henry and Werner are both approaching 70 and may want to cash out

They paid $660 million in 2002 for the Red Sox and 80% of NESN and what is that worth today????? :dunno:

In this nutty world, the NHL now expects $650 million for an expansion franchise in Seattle, the LA Clippers were bought 3 years ago for $2 billion so the Red Sox could very well fetch THREE BILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless Abigale Johnson ( who is a Bruins STH ) wants to buy them I can think of nobody else in Boston that can afford that except Kraft. The most logical buyer would be Comcast as they send NESN millions every month is subscriber fees.

View attachment 136853
the redsox built a small title window for themselves with the lack of Prospects in their system if Dave Dombrowski was brought in to win now so the redsox can sell .similar to how he spent as much money as possible in Mike Ilitch final years in Detroit it makes sense. i don't think anyone really expects a new owner like Comcast to come in with a plan for a new ballpark. there may be some fans that hope that the new owners tone some of the things that the Henry group did down though like not playing Sweet Caroline when there getting blown out at fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
the redsox built a small title window for themselves with the lack of Prospects in their system if Dave Dombrowski was brought in to win now so the redsox can sell .similar to how he spent as much money as possible in Mike Ilitch final years in Detroit it makes sense. i don't think anyone really expects a new owner like Comcast to come in with a plan for a new ballpark. there may be some fans that hope that the new owners tone some of the things that the Henry group did down though like not playing Sweet Caroline when there getting blown out at fenway

I am old enough to remember when Sherm Feller not only did the PA but also controlled the balls and strikes lights on the scoreboard.

Today everything is scripted - back in the 80's if a game was supposed to start at 7:05 the Red Sox would take the field the field at 7:03. the anthem was played and then play ball.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I am old enough to remember when Sherm Feller not only did the PA but also controlled the balls and strikes lights on the scoreboard.

Today everything is scripted - back in the 80's if a game was supposed to start at 7:05 the Red Sox would take the field the field at 7:03. the anthem was played and then play ball.

some of the scripted events the Red Sox have done have unquestionably hurt the on field product the multiple David Ortiz celebrations during the final series against the blue jays in 2016 being a good example not only did they lose home field to Cleveland during that series the team was worn out by the time the alds started
Boston Red Sox's David Ortiz retirement celebration at Fenway Park will be all 3 days of final series
Red Sox, David Ortiz swept out of playoffs by Indians with 4-3 loss in Game 3 | Boston.com

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
some of the scripted events the Red Sox have done have unquestionably hurt the on field product the multiple David Ortiz celebrations during final series against the blue jays in 2016 being a good example not only did they lose home field to Cleveland during that series the team was worn out by the time the alds started
Boston Red Sox's David Ortiz retirement celebration at Fenway Park will be all 3 days of final series
Red Sox, David Ortiz swept out of playoffs by Indians with 4-3 loss in Game 3 | Boston.com

Next year the Red Sox and Yankees are playing 2 games in London but the Red Sox agreed to surrender 2 home dates instead of both teams giving up one home game apiece. :huh::help::huh:

The first time I went to a game at Camden Yards in 1993, I went there saying the reviews can't be that good and I was wrong - I fell in love with the place.

I soured on this ownership after the Francona debacle followed by Bobby Valentine. Then came the Orsillo fiasco.

Sports is a business - we all know that and Worcester offered a deal that RI could not or would not match. What FSG doesn't understand or refuses to admit was McCoy Stadium was a throwback to a simpler time and that was a huge selling point.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

people in the city are worried the Redsox could sell their shares in the team and Affiliate with another triple a team after the move to Worcester

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

people in the city are worried the Redsox could sell their shares in the team and Affiliate with another triple a team after the move to Worcester

I would bet the ranch that the Red Sox would guarantee the affiliation for the length of the lease even if the team was sold. Where else could they go???

I believe this is far from done as the Pawsox could be taking a page from the Robert Kraft playbook when he signed a letter of intent to move the Patriots to Hartford 20 years ago. Lucchino doesn't want to move the team but he needed to paint RI into a corner. The proposed site in Pawtucket has very little downside and the RI House Speaker is now being painted as a villain in the local media there.

Yes Rhode Island pols got burnt by 38 Studios but that was their own stupidity. especially after Massachusetts would not give Shilling a dime saying the business plan was hopelessly flawed. Investing in a Pawtucket stadium would bring tangible rewards even if the stadium did not produce expected financial benchmarks. Just getting a stop on the Boston/Providence commuter rail would be huge for the city.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I would bet the ranch that the Red Sox would guarantee the affiliation for the length of the lease even if the team was sold. Where else could they go???

I believe this is far from done as the Pawsox could be taking a page from the Robert Kraft playbook when he signed a letter of intent to move the Patriots to Hartford 20 years ago. Lucchino doesn't want to move the team but he needed to paint RI into a corner. The proposed site in Pawtucket has very little downside and the RI House Speaker is now being painted as a villain in the local media there.

Yes Rhode Island pols got burnt by 38 Studios but that was their own stupidity. especially after Massachusetts would not give Shilling a dime saying the business plan was hopelessly flawed. Investing in a Pawtucket stadium would bring tangible rewards even if the stadium did not produce expected financial benchmarks. Just getting a stop on the Boston/Providence commuter rail would be huge for the city.
Canal District businesses buzzing over Worcester Red Sox

Fenway if the Redsox want to anger the mass government ,businesses in central ma and the fans in the central mass area along with all the damage they caused in road island over the years they owned the team they are better off selling to Montreal at that point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad