The Athletic - Boston Goodbye Pawtucket - Hello Worcester

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I love McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket but its time has come.

This mess started 4 years ago when the Red Sox told the widow of Ben Mondor to sell the club to them or risk losing the affiliation. Larry Lucchino then rode into Rhode Island on his horse and told Rhode Island officials what they must do.

GettyImages-684176566-1024x706.jpg

However, Rhode Island is still paying off millions from the Curt Schilling debacle which never made sense from Day 1.

Now Worcester is making a big pitch hoping a team playing downtown can jumpstart the second largest city in New England. Joe McDonald looks at the mess and tries to figure out what Lucchino is going to do.

McDonald: As Worcester & Providence fight over the PawSox,...

Basically, PawSox ownership has four options:
  1. Grind through this process, accept the deal, build the stadium and then sell.
  2. Go to Worcester and do the same thing. Currently, there’s a more team-friendly deal in place if the team moves, according to persons with direct knowledge of the deal (the Worcester offer has not been made public). The cost of rebranding and trying to create a new fan base would be difficult.
  3. Stay at McCoy Stadium and renovate – again. It’s an option, but it’s not a very good one. The ballpark isn’t in such bad shape that it’s ready to fall down, but there will be challenges in keeping it viable because of its age. The money and resources needed would be onerous on a ballpark this old. The money would be better spent on a new state-of-art ballpark that could last 30-plus years.
“A new ballpark is needed,” said one minor league baseball executive not affiliated with the PawSox.

It wouldn’t be a smart business decision to dump millions into a renovation project. On top of that, if a new ballpark begins to take shape in the near future, those opposed to the project might change their minds. It would revitalize Pawtucket and the capitalize on the history of the Blackstone River Valley.

• 4. Sell the current situation to the highest bidder and call it a day. If that’s the case, the franchise could go for anywhere between $22 and $25 million depending on the current value of the team.

There were also rumblings that the baseball-hungry city of Montreal, once home to the Expos, was paying close attention to the situation in Pawtucket. One baseball executive said, however that Montreal is “not on the radar” at this point.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Two things happened that permanently changed what the PawSox were all about. The first was when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and again in 2007. It was no longer seen as a minor league enterprise, but as an extension of the big club, and the atmosphere changed dramatically. More people went to games, staff and the team became noticeably ruder, prices went up, etc. The folks in charge started acting like paying customers should feel privileged to be there.

Then, when Ben Mondor died, and the Boston owners acquired the PawSox, the remaining vestiges of the team as its own entity went out the window.

I've gone maybe twice in the last five years, and I used to go at least twice a week. It doesn't bother them in the least to have lost my patronage, so it doesn't bother me if they leave.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
f**k all these shameless s**mbags

they've taken a throwback jewel of a baseball team and ruined it. Pawtucket was one of the last instances of a team and a town being 1 in the same.

It was a testament to the greatness of Ben Mondor.

He was the one that never raised ticket prices in 30 years of owning the team. He also kept concessions prices as low as possible, to where you could still get a soda and a burger for less than 5 bucks. All he cared about was people coming to the park and having a great night, he couldn't care less about making a buck with the team.

He also was a big fixture in the community. He loved baseball and wanted kids to be able to see pro ball and love it too. There were always different groups, boys and girls clubs, little leagues, etc having special nights at the park. He even let the Boy Scouts camp out in the outfield overnight every year.

I grew up in East Providence, 10 min from the park, and remember going to countless games there and never had a bad time. Hell, I still have a box of autographed balls from hanging them over the railing in a milk jug.

He loved the team and the fans loved him back.

It is infuriating how quickly and relentlessly Henry et al have managed to undo all of that and p*ss all over Mondor's grave and what he stood for. Hell, the 1st thing they did was go and hold the town/state hostage for a new park. Billionaires crying poor over 40 million is beyond pathetic.

at this point I'd say Worcester can have them. I'd rather the old Pawsox stay an untainted nostalgia memory than to see them turned into a corporate playground designed to make money like the Red Sox.

A City Braces for Its Ballpark to Go the Way of Its Mills

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Two things happened that permanently changed what the PawSox were all about. The first was when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and again in 2007. It was no longer seen as a minor league enterprise, but as an extension of the big club, and the atmosphere changed dramatically. More people went to games, staff and the team became noticeably ruder, prices went up, etc. The folks in charge started acting like paying customers should feel privileged to be there.

Then, when Ben Mondor died, and the Boston owners acquired the PawSox, the remaining vestiges of the team as its own entity went out the window.

I've gone maybe twice in the last five years, and I used to go at least twice a week. It doesn't bother them in the least to have lost my patronage, so it doesn't bother me if they leave.

x3B7igGN.jpg

Ben's original plan was to have Mike Tamburro and Lou Schwechheimer take over the team when he passed but the Red Sox had other ideas. Here they are talking about the 2013 season.

Schwechheimer has an amazing memory. He walked up to me one night and said 'You have been coming here since the late 70's' and he ran a tight ship. When the Sox took over he went to New Orleans and owns the AAA team there and hired Arnie Beyler as manager. Tamburro is still there but has no power.

The Pawsox yearbook was like a Rhode Island yellow pages, just huge community support. That is no longer the case.

Yes the park is a pain to drive to - I learned a long time ago to take Newport Ave instead of getting off 95 in downtown.

Reactions: BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
My family and I used to go to 2-3 games a year from 2000 to 2009, but as soon as the Sox started to get successful (2004 and on) it wasn't really the same. I saw adult fans snatching balls out of the air from kids and more times than not I'd find the ball listed for sale (usually Ebay). I don't go to many minor league games anymore (none in RI), but the ones I do go always seem to have some adult there trying to get multiple free promo items so they can turn around and sell them.

last time I went (about a year ago) they had a bobble head giveaway and there we're young kids upset because they didn't get one. I ended up giving mine to the kid in front of us because I knew he'd appreciate it more. Of course it pissed me off when I got home and saw a dozen for sale on eBay for $50-$60 and another half dozen that people sold before the day of the actual promotion. Its just sad how greedy some folks have gotten.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I have a friend who is an executive in the Paw Sox office. No direct info but from what he was saying I'd put my money on Worcester. They've looked at the Apex site and its not ruled out but it just won't be as easy to get it and move there.

I wouldn't mind seeing another organization move their AAA or AA team to McCoy. I'd have to think snake ass Luchino would do everything in his power to block that though.

A Red Sox AAA affiliate in Worcester probably does very well at least right at first. But my guess is attending a game there costs more than 15-20 MLB parks when its all said and done.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have a friend who is an executive in the Paw Sox office. No direct info but from what he was saying I'd put my money on Worcester. They've looked at the Apex site and its not ruled out but it just won't be as easy to get it and move there.

I wouldn't mind seeing another organization move their AAA or AA team to McCoy. I'd have to think snake ass Luchino would do everything in his power to block that though.

A Red Sox AAA affiliate in Worcester probably does very well at least right at first. But my guess is attending a game there costs more than 15-20 MLB parks when its all said and done.

Under Minor League rules if the team moved to Worcester they could BLOCK another team from going to Pawtucket since Providence County RI and Worcester County, MA touch each other. They looked at Springfield but dismissed it as Hartford can block a team there.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Under Minor League rules if the team moved to Worcester they could BLOCK another team from going to Pawtucket since Providence County RI and Worcester County, MA touch each other. They looked at Springfield but dismissed it as Hartford can block a team there.
Stupid rules for fans point of view. I live out here in western ma and I still would like to see Providence keep that tradition. It’s the last piece left that makes me watch the Sox even less. They’ve lost they’re way. It’s not like they’re losing money. Everyone can make a little and pay their bills and still have money in their pocket. I guess that’s not enough for corporate. Here come the $12 beers.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I agree, a team in Worcester could do very well. I mean your 50-60 minutes from Boston, Hartford and Providence which isn't bad for a drive at all from those high population areas. The Yard Goats do well in Hartford, but they're a Double A team for the Rockies and a lot of people are not familiar with their system. One thing that works really well is they are so engaged with their fans. They have so many different events going on and that honestly what the blueprint could/should be if PawSox move.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I agree, a team in Worcester could do very well. I mean your 50-60 minutes from Boston, Hartford and Providence which isn't bad for a drive at all from those high population areas. The Yard Goats do well in Hartford, but they're a Double A team for the Rockies and a lot of people are not familiar with their system. One thing that works really well is they are so engaged with their fans. They have so many different events going on and that honestly what the blueprint could/should be if PawSox move.

Technically Lowell could block a team moving into Worcester but the Red Sox would yank their affiliation in a heartbeat. Lowell is on thin ice as it is as the Red Sox have been looking at Malden (MALDEN????) as a possible home for a team.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

with the amount of bad blood that has built up, the # of people from RI going to Worcester for a game will be near zero

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
with the amount of bad blood that has built up, the # of people from RI going to Worcester for a game will be near zero

If they did move to Worcester, the amount of Mass fans going because it's closer/easier to get to would more than make up for the RI fans not attending. I haven't been to a PawSox game in like 20 years (Vaugh Eshelman started the last game there I saw), but I'd go to a WooSox game in a heartbeat.

Reactions: DarrenBanks56

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Does Worcester have a stadium or would one need to be built? Also, would the Worcester/MA make its residents pay for the stadium, like Pawtucket/RI would be doing if they do build a new stadium?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Absolute joke. Make people pay for a stadium, when they may not even go to the games. :laugh:

Millionaire owners stay millionaires though!

even better, you Mass residents will get to keep paying a growing bill.

The agreement would have the city/state be the owners of the stadium, which means:

- all upkeep cost, maintenance, utilities cost, and future improvement costs are the responsibility of the city/state
- but, the Fenway Sports Group gets the lionshare of the revenue, including ticket sales for baseball games

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Pawtucket also draws fans from the Mass Southcoast ( Taunton, Fall River and New Bedford ) and they won't be going to Worcester either.

Pawsox attendance is way down as Luchinno and Dr. Steinberg really angered the locals.

International League Attendance | International League Stats

Now here is a promotional item that will show up on Ebay fast

July 13 vs. Syracuse Chiefs

• G.O.A.T. Bobblehead Giveaway
    Come celebrate New England's favorite quarterback. The first 3,000 will receive a G.O.A.T. bobblehead presented by Bank of America and WPRI 12/FOX Providence/The CW Providence.
    raw.jpg

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Pawtucket also draws fans from the Mass Southcoast ( Taunton, Fall River and New Bedford ) and they won't be going to Worcester either.

Pawsox attendance is way down as Luchinno and Dr. Steinberg really angered the locals.

International League Attendance | International League Stats

Now here is a promotional item that will show up on Ebay fast

July 13 vs. Syracuse Chiefs

• G.O.A.T. Bobblehead Giveaway
    Come celebrate New England's favorite quarterback. The first 3,000 will receive a G.O.A.T. bobblehead presented by Bank of America and WPRI 12/FOX Providence/The CW Providence.
    raw.jpg

the Fenway Sports Group effect is dramatic in those attendance figures. It dropped 3,000 per game.

last 10 years per game:

2008: 8931
2009: 8937
2010: 8343 - Ben Mondor passes away this year
2011: 8225
2012: 7280
2013: 7827
2014: 7367
2015: 6572
- 1st season owned by Fenway Sports Group...they also won the IL championship in '14. So they had a 1k per game drop in attendance coming off a championship

2016: 6076
2017: 6406
2018: 5277

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I don't care anymore. GTFO. I hate the entire organization anyway.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one to notice the fans becoming bigger a-holes. Couldn't believe the night I witnessed two adult bozos standing over the PawSox bullpen chattering at Manny Delcarmen "No speeeky English give me a ball, no speeeek english?".

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Ah. I always wondered why Worcester never had minor league baseball this would be why.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Ah. I always wondered why Worcester never had minor league baseball this would be why.
that's why Worcester has Independent baseball, I think the rule is also indicative of what we discuss territorial wise as to why one market has one sport but not the top level of its sport....

The Bravehearts, and the Tornadoes before them seem to have filled that niche

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This commentator from NPR Rhode Island is fed up

Red Sox Surging; PawSox Leaving?

The buzz is clearly back at Fenway and should last well into October. How exciting!
I wish I felt the same about the Pawtucket Red Sox, but I fear the old ball game at old McCoy Stadium is coming to an end. I fear the Pawtucket Red Sox will become the Worcester Red Sox before long.

Can you say WorSox?

The silence from McCoy Stadium in the wake of the General Assembly’s passage of a stadium finance bill on June 22 pushed by House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello has been deafening, and ominous. I don’t blame the PawSox owners for taking their time in deciding whether to stay or go. The General Assembly took three years to get its financing act together.

We can blame Curt Schilling and the catastrophic failure of his 38 Studios for this debacle. Rhode Island, from the General Assembly to the general store, remains paralyzed when it comes to public-private partnerships, thanks to Schilling’s 38 Studios. The state got stuck with Schilling’s $75-million loan when his video game company struck out. Even though the state recovered a significant portion of that money, narrow-minded citizens do not want to hear a word about another deal involving sports figures or private entities.

Never mind that 38 Studios had no track record while the Pawtucket Red Sox organization has been a Rhode Island icon for more than four decades, a model corporate citizen, and a community partner; the City of Pawtucket, not the ball club, would own the new stadium, just as it owns McCoy; the owners of the ball club would put up $45 million of the estimated $83 million for construction of the new stadium, an unprecedented arrangement in minor-league baseball; the deal proposed by the ball club in 2017 is dramatically better than the deal pushed by Jim Skeffington in 2015, months before his untimely death; the facility would be used for events other than baseball, and development might, I emphasize might, occur around the ball park just as it has around the state-owned Dunkin’ Donuts Center and Rhode Island Convention Center in downtown Providence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad