Post-Game Talk: Good second half effort but Jets lose 3-1

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
You do what you need to do. No amount of worrying on my part will keep the players from getting hurt, so I'm not going to sweat it. This isn't optimism - it's simple fact. If I can't alter what happens, why should I worry? :thumbu:

I'm not saying you should worry. I'm saying I'm worried. :D Different outlooks on life man...I'd rather expect the bad and be pleasantly surprised by the good. Just the way I roll...

But neither way is the fundamental "right" way...all we can do is watch and see how it all plays out. Looking at things optimistically/pessimistically doesn't have any direct influence either way. Hell, the way things have been going the past few weeks, 12 games is loads of time for guys to come back, and then get injured again! lol...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, you just moved the goalposts but doesn't matter.

Myers has been the reason why PP2 is doing good despite having inferior linemates. That was my point you disagreed entirely. Then I supported that with hard stats that cannot be really denied.

I am not continuing this discussion any further, thank you.

Myers is having a career year on the pp. He is also still ridding the coat tails on a hot start to the season. He's pretty terrble on the pp latley and has historically been very mediocre..

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Did you notice him do the broken joystick thing again last night? This time in the offensive zone, I believe on the PP near the half wall, he just froze up and couldn't think of anything to do until a Nashville player dispossessed him.

Not as bad as that one from a week ago but eerily similar. He just doesn't seem to be keeping up with the increased pace of the games. It's becoming increasingly noticeable.
That is exactly what i'm talking about , it happens on both offense and defense . That's a great description of Myers , his joystick gets unplugged . :laugh:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm not saying you should worry. I'm saying I'm worried. :D Different outlooks on life man...I'd rather expect the bad and be pleasantly surprised by the good. Just the way I roll...

And I stated: "You do what you need to do". ;)

For me (and this is only me - I'm not judging here): I prefer to ignore things I can't change and enjoy life, as it's incredibly short and it's not worth my while worrying about things I can't change. When there's adversity, I deal with it. Makes for a 95% happy YWG versus a 5% incredibly esctatic YWG simply because my worries were unfounded.

It's just the way I roll. ;)

But neither way is the fundamental "right" way...all we can do is watch and see how it all plays out. Looking at things optimistically/pessimistically doesn't have any direct influence either way. Hell, the way things have been going the past few weeks, 12 games is loads of time for guys to come back, and then get injured again! lol...

No, it doesn't. So why should I worry about it?

Besides, there's enough people that worry about it on my behalf anyway. :sarcasm: Just some gentle ribbing - I get what you're getting at. I just don't share the philosophy.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Myers is having a career year on the pp. He is also still ridding the coat tails on a hot start to the season. He's pretty terrble on the pp latley and has historically been very mediocre..

Possible, but I'm not talking about "whatifs" and "whatnots", but about what we have been experiencing this season.

Lately those injuries have been taking heavy toll for PP2 too as the quality of players gets lower and lower when you need the best ones (barring Buff) on PP1.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We need to get some healthy bodies back in the line up because it won’t be long before Buff and Wheeler are broken too.

Pessimism rising......risiiiiiiinnnnnnng! :help:
I think Wheeler is already, he is a warrior though
Love him as captain

Reactions: Tommigun

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
You do what you you have to do. Me? I'm going to:

13139-keep-calm-and-drink-beer-sticker.png

No amount of worrying on my part will keep them from being injured.

During these playoffs, lots of Beer will be drank to calm my nerves.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
No, it doesn't. So why should I worry about it?

Besides, there's enough people that worry about it on my behalf anyway. :sarcasm: Just some gentle ribbing - I get what you're getting at. I just don't share the philosophy.

yep totally agree. Worrying about stuff you can't control accomplishes nothing in reality. However, for myself I find that kvetching about things in a pessimistic (although hopefully somewhat humorous) manner helps relieve stress. Otherwise I just internalize things and get more and more frustrated...gotta let that out or I'll pop a vessel! :laugh:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Possible, but I'm not talking about "whatifs" and "whatnots", but about what we have been experiencing this season.

Lately those injuries have been taking heavy toll for PP2 too as the quality of players gets lower and lower when you need the best ones (barring Buff) on PP1.
I would like Buff to hit the net more on the PP with his shot but he has a uncanny ability to keep the puck in at the line and with our forwards offensive ability sometimes that is just as important as Buff's shot .

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
You do what you need to do. No amount of worrying on my part will keep the players from getting hurt, so I'm not going to sweat it. This isn't optimism - it's simple fact. If I can't alter what happens, why should I worry? :thumbu:

OK. You're cruising along at 30,000 feet and both engines catch fire. Another situation where you can't alter what will happen. Are you worried?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well, you just moved the goalposts but doesn't matter.

Myers has been the reason why PP2 is doing good despite having inferior linemates. That was my point you disagreed entirely. Then I supported that with hard stats that cannot be really denied.

I am not continuing this discussion any further, thank you.
Ok, I didn't move anything. The original assertion was that Myers would be better on PP1 and I don't believe he improves it over Buff..

I dont think Myers is necessarily the reason for the PP2 success, certainly less so in the 2nd half. Not to say he hasn't been fine there, but that doesn't mean he should replace Buff.

Reactions: Jets 31

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
It had the makings for a blowout, we did a good job of fighting back and not let them run up the score. I like the fact that we easily could have given up but the team stood up and put up a good fight. I have no doubt in my mind that fully healthy we match up with Nashville.

The amount of key players out due to injury is absurd, hopefully we can get some healthy life back into our lineup.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hey thats all well and good, but there’s nothing about optimism thats fundamentally more rational or really even more healthy than pessimism. Sometimes having a pessimistic outlook leads to all sorts of good feels when things end up going better than expected.

The fact of the matter is there is a pretty much equal chance of other guys getting injured over the next few games as there is of guys coming back into the line up...
Not really. The large majority of players spend a large majority of their careers healthy. Expecting as many injured players as healthy players isn't rational, based on historical patterns.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
First period total domination, then scoring effects. If not for Helle, could have been 6-1. I dont feel like we should pat ourselves on the back for the loss.

Not panicking because this was not the Jets team that we expect to show in the playoffs, especially Hutch. And there was grit, fight and push back in the second and third. But we are not playing our best hockey of the year (due to roster for example), and the Preds are.

We shouldnt look past the first round yet, but it's hard to see how we aren't big underdogs against the Preds if we make it to the second round. They are healthy and will be well rested. They have opened up such a wide lead over us, they can coast and rest key players. We will be lucky to get our starters back healthy in time to get them to shake off the rust. And our secret weapon, goaltending, is equalized by their secret weapon, goaltending.

If we don't get our team back, healthy, rust removed, we may not make it for a date in Nashville. I feel like we are looking past the first round, and that could be a huge mistake. No gimme's in the Central.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
It can't be stated enough, despite being a very good hockey player, P.K. Subban is a f***ing, annoying dickhead, a borderline embarrassment at times.

He's going to be public enemy #1 on the shit list if we face them in the playoffs. The Jets better be disciplined though, he's going to try and drive them batty. Hope Copp and Lowry take a few rounds out of him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Playoff mode initiated. Nashville, dirty hits, physicality, and - unsurprisingly - trash talk.

It won't get any better from here on, either.
I think the Jets can match that stuff. Lowry, Buff and Trouba are as miserable to play against as anyone in the NHL when things heat up. Copp too. I'm betting that Laine and Armia both have a nasty gear that they can go to when things get really miserable. Same with Myers and Kulikov. Morrissey is going to catch someone with a big hit now and again. Scheifele and Wheeler are a real handful when they turn it up to 11 --- big and fast. I think the Jets have a very balanced lineup that can play a lot of styles.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It can't be stated enough, despite being a very good hockey player, P.K. Subban is a ****ing, annoying ********, a borderline embarrassment at times.

He's going to be public enemy #1 on the **** list if we face them in the playoffs. The Jets better be disciplined though, he's going to try and drive them batty. Hope Copp and Lowry take a few rounds out of him.
One of the many reasons that playoff experience is so important. You have to be able to eat *hit sometimes, without retaliating. The retaliation gets penalties, and special teams wins (or loses) in the playoffs.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
First period total domination, then scoring effects. If not for Helle, could have been 6-1. I dont feel like we should pat ourselves on the back for the loss.

Not panicking because this was not the Jets team that we expect to show in the playoffs, especially Hutch. And there was grit, fight and push back in the second and third. But we are not playing our best hockey of the year (due to roster for example), and the Preds are.

We shouldnt look past the first round yet, but it's hard to see how we aren't big underdogs against the Preds if we make it to the second round. They are healthy and will be well rested. They have opened up such a wide lead over us, they can coast and rest key players. We will be lucky to get our starters back healthy in time to get them to shake off the rust. And our secret weapon, goaltending, is equalized by their secret weapon, goaltending.

If we don't get our team back, healthy, rust removed, we may not make it for a date in Nashville. I feel like we are looking past the first round, and that could be a huge mistake. No gimme's in the Central.
It's hard to play your best hockey of the year missing 6 regulars, including 3 centres and 2 of your top 4 D. Score effects played a role in the 2nd agreed, but less so in the 3rd once the Jets made it 3-1, Nashville pushed back and the Jets were right there with them under tough circumstances. 6-1? Rinne made some huge saves as well, and had help in pulling one off the line, it wasn't all Helle.

I fail to see how we are "big" underdogs, underdogs yes, but big? While banged up now they stand a good chance of being a fair bit healthier come playoff time, have the depth and talent up front and in the back and to top it off have the type of goaltending every team needs in the playoffs. The Jets aren't "big" underdogs to anyone.

Losses always suck, but considering being on the tail end of a 6 game road trip, in a b2b and finding out in warmup, that the starting centre on what has been your best scoring line is being added to the list of walking wounded, I'd say a little pat on the back is ok for how they responded.

Who's looking past the 1st round? The only ones that matter are the players and how would any of us know that?

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
You can do that if you like.

However, Tyler Myers has 16 PPPs which is just 1 point less than Byfuglien has, while playing with guys that are much inferior to Wheeler and Laine (and Scheifele, but he has been injured quite often).

Perreault and Ehlers, other PP2 regulars have 12 PPPs, Little 11 and Connor 9 (most of them PP1 I guess).

Moreover, Byfuglien has played a lot more PP this season when compared to Myers, and while he gets a lot of 2nd assists by just keeping the puck and then finally giving it back to Wheeler, Myers has whopping 4.95 PP P1/60 while Byfuglien has quite low (10th for the Jets and not even close to others) PP P1/60 of just 1.67.

(Wheeler 8.15, Laine 6.03, Myers 4.95, Ehlers 3.81, Scheifele 3.80, ...)

Myers' stats are just outstanding for PP2, while Byfuglien has below average stats for a PP1 player, while being a lot with the puck.

Again real stats do support my view that Myers is better for PP than Byfuglien.

Edit:

5-on-4:
Myers 144.67 TOI, 3+9+3=15
Byfuglien 171.68 TOI, 1+3+8=12

Better stats with much inferior PP group.

So if buff is PP1 does that mean he gets the other team’s PK1? You’re assumption that Myers would do better against the other teams’ better PK players might be unfounded.

I’m also not concerned about buff’s personal points. I’m more interested in the Jets PP goals. Seems that the Jets PP is doing quite well, and I do think that buff plays a part. To my eye he has cut back on his slapper from the point and more often puts the puck in the hands of the forwards. With wheeler and laine and Scheifele on PP1 I’m good with that.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It's hard to play your best hockey of the year missing 6 regulars, including 3 centres and 2 of your top 4 D. Score effects played a role in the 2nd agreed, but less so in the 3rd once the Jets made it 3-1, Nashville pushed back and the Jets were right there with them under tough circumstances. 6-1? Rinne made some huge saves as well, and had help in pulling one off the line, it wasn't all Helle.

I fail to see how we are "big" underdogs, underdogs yes, but big? While banged up now they stand a good chance of being a fair bit healthier come playoff time, have the depth and talent up front and in the back and to top it off have the type of goaltending every team needs in the playoffs. The Jets aren't "big" underdogs to anyone.

Losses always suck, but considering being on the tail end of a 6 game road trip, in a b2b and finding out in warmup, that the starting centre on what has been your best scoring line is being added to the list of walking wounded, I'd say a little pat on the back is ok for how they responded.

Who's looking past the 1st round? The only ones that matter are the players and how would any of us know that?

I think one reason the first PP looked so discombobulated was the personnel changes forced by the Scheifele injury and the Stastny late scratch. PP1 and PP2 have very different strategies by design but it does create challenges when players are promoted from PP2 to PP1. It's not an excuse just an observation. Players seemed to be "thinking" their way out there rather than reacting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad