Post-Game Talk: Good second half effort but Jets lose 3-1

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Yep. And just as unfounded as the speculation that Maurice's ego got the best of him and that he was recklessly risking Helly. Both come directly from people's biases.

I am guilty of calling Maurice out. In talking to friends before the game I had said the only way Hutch was coming out of that game was if he was hurt and he was. Had said the Jets could be down 10-0 and he would still be in net.

There was quite the lag in time from the apparent injury to the time that he left the game. As others have mentioned, it looks like there may be further investigating by the league and the Jets as to why Hutch’s injury wasn’t spotted earlier.

I will not be so quick to judge our coach in the future.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I can't recall a game where I wasn't getting mad when things went really wrong.
Outside of the bed-sh$%#&* on our PP they only managed a tie against our completely depleted team.
Buff needs to line up PK next game and destroy him.
Great guy off the ice... POS on the ice.

To bad that puck didn't trickle in for Laine he played well.

I'm at the game on Thursday hoping not to see a repeat of the last Hawks game I saw live!!!
GDT should be up early (i.e. shortly before midnight)

Reactions: Jets 31

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
it's more tempting for management to hold out the Sick Bay players until the stars game so they can get an extra 3 days of healing.
it would be great to put in Scheifele, Enstrom, Lowry and Trouba vs the Stars.
would be surprised to see any of them in vs the Hawks.
also guessing Comrie gets called up? and guessing that it will be for a while, since Hutchinson's had previous concussions.
also wondering in Niku gets the call-up for press box for thursday's game

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yep and Pate chirpin a buncha perds all night. We definitely sent a message tonite. If these teams meet, it'll be a bloodbath.
Yes, I'd like to know what was said. I laughed to my wife last night that Laine talks more to the refs and the opposition as much as Buff does. I don't know if it's chirping or just friendly conversation, but he's constantly on about something. I love it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You can do that if you like.

However, Tyler Myers has 16 PPPs which is just 1 point less than Byfuglien has, while playing with guys that are much inferior to Wheeler and Laine (and Scheifele, but he has been injured quite often).

Perreault and Ehlers, other PP2 regulars have 12 PPPs, Little 11 and Connor 9 (most of them PP1 I guess).

Moreover, Byfuglien has played a lot more PP this season when compared to Myers, and while he gets a lot of 2nd assists by just keeping the puck and then finally giving it back to Wheeler, Myers has whopping 4.95 PP P1/60 while Byfuglien has quite low (10th for the Jets and not even close to others) PP P1/60 of just 1.67.

(Wheeler 8.15, Laine 6.03, Myers 4.95, Ehlers 3.81, Scheifele 3.80, ...)

Myers' stats are just outstanding for PP2, while Byfuglien has below average stats for a PP1 player, while being a lot with the puck.

Again real stats do support my view that Myers is better for PP than Byfuglien.

Edit:

5-on-4:
Myers 144.67 TOI, 3+9+3=15
Byfuglien 171.68 TOI, 1+3+8=12

Better stats with much inferior PP group.
Not really sure how that supports Myers being a better option for PP1. They operate entirely differently in how they attack. Buff moves the puck up the ice and gains the zone better than Myers, is better at holding the line and I think his distribution is better. Ot doesn't always add up to more points but I think a case can be made for the 1st unit not operating around him as much as the 2nd unit does around Myers.

Point was, I don't believe Myers makes the 1st unit better. Just my observation though.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Copp === "Junkyard Dog".

I think he's going to be one of those playoff warrior types. Really love his game and attitude. He's a big body and he can skate all night. He and Lowry are going to be miserable to play against in the playoffs.
I agree, he seems to have cardio and energy for days. Him and Lowry are really important playoff pieces imo.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Nice to see the team rebound and play a lot better after the terrible start.

We really need to get healthy before the playoffs. Also, the Jets are going to have to play a lot tougher, and dare I say dirtier in the playoffs. The Preds will have no issue playing dirty.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If in the past Lowry and Little were the most underrated Jets last season, I think Copp is the one today. I also think that PoMo should have had Copp to play with E+L in the absense of Stastny to spread the offensive talent as ECL did great for their 5 or so games.
I agree, or I would have loved to see Roslovic given a chance. We didn't have much to lose.

I also don't think that Wheeler is a good fit with those two.

Reactions: Ippenator

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I admit that lately Myers has been struggling in general and being slower than he used to be in decision making but I claim that Myers vs. Buff is the most significant reason why PP2 often works works fairly well even when having inferior shooters and players to PP1. That was particularly true couple of months ago.
Or could it be the fact that they have Ehlers to gain the zone as to the reason why there is success with PP2?

Personally I don't think that PP2's success has much if anything to do with Buff vs Myers

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
giphy.gif

Sorry - just can't get myself all worked up about things no one has control over. I always hope for the best, and spend 5 minutes getting over the worst if it happens. Makes me a much happier person that way. :nod:

I get the feeling that we'll see a lot of "we're holding player X out for precautionary reasons" as we get closer to actually clinching.

Hey thats all well and good, but there’s nothing about optimism thats fundamentally more rational or really even more healthy than pessimism. Sometimes having a pessimistic outlook leads to all sorts of good feels when things end up going better than expected.

The fact of the matter is there is a pretty much equal chance of other guys getting injured over the next few games as there is of guys coming back into the line up...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would bet that a good portion of the guys out of the line up would be playing if we really needed them to. Given our place in the standings the org is likely being extra cautious.
I really hope that is the case ( I suspect so too) because I hope for everyone to be 100% (REAL 100%) when they come back.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
From what I saw there it's the typical HF attitude of "one guy said it somewhere so their whole fanbase believes it". We do it here too. We take up a page or two about how fans of team X think Buff's dirty, and I go over to read it and it's one guy.

The main one that Nashville fans are quoting is from a reply on their thread by a Jets fan, not from this one. If it's deleted now, it wasn't last night.
We also see it within our own board and members.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Some good things to take away from this game - after the horrid start Jets did a good job to get back into the game. Helle was an absolute stud, simply awesome game from him again. Laine was great for the rest of the game after sucking hard for the first half of 1st like the rest of them. Got robbed there for a goal by Watson, had 8 SOG and generally played well and showed a game getting physical won't throw him off. The 1st line had a pretty good game, though it seems for whatever reason Laine+Ehlers need a specific type of center to work well together - at least to my eye-test it seemed having Stastny replaced with Wheeler, Laine and Ehlers had a harder time finding each other and also Ehlers was back to doing more of his "I'll just skate throug 5 preds and score a goal... oops I lost the puck" routine. However Nashville has awesome defence and seemed really hard to play against, so it might be more about that and also I wouldn't use this game to judge much since it was a bit "special" because of how the first 8-9 minutes played down. Buff was doing Buff things, most of them good. I really like the Buff we've seen for some time now, while he still makes the occasional boneheaded plays, it seems he makes more positive than negative Buff-plays lately :) I also think he's been mostly OK on the PP, though his passing still leaves a lot to be desired - he's just not quick enough to pass and when he does, the pass quality is often not that great. In any powerplay there's usually at least a time or two when Laine would be ready and open for a quick one-timer, but then Buff waits too long before he passes, or doesn't pass at all, or the pass is of poor quality. While the Jets PP has been great in general, sometimes watching some other teams with a really good puckmoving defenseman on the point gives me pangs of jealousy.

Rinne likewise was in top form and to be honest Nashville looks like a scary team to face in the playoffs. I have no doubt Jets couldn't take them out if they get healthy, but it will be an insanely difficult series if both advance to 2nd round. Noticed Rinne was cheating a bit on Laine all night, something to take note of - if he keeps doing that it should lead to some opportunities for a quick pass or shot pass for a redirect.

While the Jets injury situation is horrible, I honestly don't wish that on any other team. I really hope Nashville stays healthy (and Jets get healthy!), they had their share of injuries in the playoffs last season. They have a very good team and for the sake of Rinne if nothing else (my favourite Finnish player together with Laine & Aho), I wish they get a healthy run. In fact I hope whoever advances from the potential NSH vs WPG series will end up hoisting the cup. This game got pretty nasty, and chances are the playoff series would get even nastier... though I hope if they face each other that won't happen, otherwise whoever advances might be way too banged up to go all the way...

Just everyone get healthy already dammit!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Nice to see the team rebound and play a lot better after the terrible start.

We really need to get healthy before the playoffs. Also, the Jets are going to have to play a lot tougher, and dare I say dirtier in the playoffs. The Preds will have no issue playing dirty.
Having Trouba and Lowry back will certainly help that.

Oh and Enstrom the goon :sarcasm:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Playoff mode initiated. Nashville, dirty hits, physicality, and - unsurprisingly - trash talk.

It won't get any better from here on, either.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Or could it be the fact that they have Ehlers to gain the zone as to the reason why there is success with PP2?

Personally I don't think that PP2's success has much if anything to do with Buff vs Myers

I REALLY wish that Mo would load up PP1 instead of diluting the PP when we are so depleted. Ehlers is the best at gaining the zone and Laine is the best at putting it in the net.

So often we can't gain the zone with PP1 so Laine doesn't get a shot, or PP2 gets zone time but can't score.

Play both of them for 2 minutes on PP1 until we get healthy. I've never understood diluting the talent on the first PP unit. If you throw everything at your opponent, you will likely not need a second unit.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
TSN made it sound like it was the “NHL Concussion Spotter”, I believe Maurice said it was the Jets trainer who made the call in his post game interview.

Seems to me that there is gonna be further fall out on this, especially the way Hutch was reacting.

Just my 2 cents.
We are hearing everything but the truth.

Reactions: FFHockey

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You can do that if you like.

However, Tyler Myers has 16 PPPs which is just 1 point less than Byfuglien has, while playing with guys that are much inferior to Wheeler and Laine (and Scheifele, but he has been injured quite often).

Perreault and Ehlers, other PP2 regulars have 12 PPPs, Little 11 and Connor 9 (most of them PP1 I guess).

Moreover, Byfuglien has played a lot more PP this season when compared to Myers, and while he gets a lot of 2nd assists by just keeping the puck and then finally giving it back to Wheeler, Myers has whopping 4.95 PP P1/60 while Byfuglien has quite low (10th for the Jets and not even close to others) PP P1/60 of just 1.67.

(Wheeler 8.15, Laine 6.03, Myers 4.95, Ehlers 3.81, Scheifele 3.80, ...)

Myers' stats are just outstanding for PP2, while Byfuglien has below average stats for a PP1 player, while being a lot with the puck.

Again real stats do support my view that Myers is better for PP than Byfuglien.

Edit:

5-on-4:
Myers 144.67 TOI, 3+9+3=15
Byfuglien 171.68 TOI, 1+3+8=12

Better stats with much inferior PP group.

Myers is a terrible PP player. He is miscast there. His passing is pretty mediocre. All he has is a good shot.Morrissey should be in his spot IMO

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not really sure how that supports Myers being a better option for PP1. They operate entirely differently in how they attack. Buff moves the puck up the ice and gains the zone better than Myers, is better at holding the line and I think his distribution is better. Ot doesn't always add up to more points but I think a case can be made for the 1st unit not operating around him as much as the 2nd unit does around Myers.

Point was, I don't believe Myers makes the 1st unit better. Just my observation though.
Totally agree , right now Myers doesn't make anything better . I like Myers but lately his brain isn't working fast enough , i don't know how many times i'm screaming do something Myers . He has tools if he is thinking fast enough but that doesn't happen enough . And for a guy his size i would really like him to be able to muscle guys off pucks more .

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Myers has amazing stats for PP this season, and most of his points are primary points. Ehlers bringing pucks in and scoring helps, no doubt, but Myers has been The PP2 this season. Jets has 3 guys on TOP-15 (or at least very near to that) for 5-on-4 P1/60 and they are Wheeler, Laine and Myers. Others are not close.

Buff has nothing to do with PP2, but I fail to see that he could have handled PP2 even nearly as good as his stats on superior PP1 are so meh as is also his play when you look at it. Also without Myers, I fail to see PP2 succeeding too much.

I thought that Copp is the most underrated Jet, but I guess it's actually Myers, esp. Myers as a PP player.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Totally agree , right now Myers doesn't make anything better . I like Myers but lately his brain isn't working fast enough , i don't know how many times i'm screaming do something Myers . He has tools if he is thinking fast enough but that doesn't happen enough . And for a guy his size i would really like him to be able to muscle guys off pucks more .
Did you notice him do the broken joystick thing again last night? This time in the offensive zone, I believe on the PP near the half wall, he just froze up and couldn't think of anything to do until a Nashville player dispossessed him.

Not as bad as that one from a week ago but eerily similar. He just doesn't seem to be keeping up with the increased pace of the games. It's becoming increasingly noticeable.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hey thats all well and good, but there’s nothing about optimism thats fundamentally more rational or really even more healthy than pessimism. Sometimes having a pessimistic outlook leads to all sorts of good feels when things end up going better than expected.

The fact of the matter is there is a pretty much equal chance of other guys getting injured over the next few games as there is of guys coming back into the line up...

You do what you need to do. No amount of worrying on my part will keep the players from getting hurt, so I'm not going to sweat it. This isn't optimism - it's simple fact. If I can't alter what happens, why should I worry? :thumbu:

Reactions: Ducky10

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Well, you just moved the goalposts but doesn't matter.

Myers has been the reason why PP2 is doing good despite having inferior linemates. That was my point you disagreed entirely. Then I supported that with hard stats that cannot be really denied.

I am not continuing this discussion any further, thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad