Post-Game Talk: Good second half effort but Jets lose 3-1

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I saw the play. Are you saying Ehlers was held down for an extended period because PK had 1 arm around his neck? If that's the case Fly better hit the gym more often.

Any way my main point was PK's antics in general not just that play. He riled up Scheif not so long ago too. And he'll continue to do it if they let him.
PK is a pretty big boy...why would it be such a stretch that Nic couldn't pull away from him? No need to hit the gym for the one off pieces of crap that would pull garbage like that?

I wish young Nic would have just started pounding the turtle and taken the extra minor!

Reactions: Hulide and Ducky10

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
PK is a pretty big boy...why would it be such a stretch that Nic couldn't pull away from him? No need to hit the gym for the one off pieces of crap that would pull garbage like that?

I wish young Nic would have just started pounding the turtle and taken the extra minor!

Was just about to write this! To me it looked like he wasn't able to get up because he was being held. I don't think he was expecting a minor for basically doing nothing. If he knew it was coming I wouldn't have been surprised to see him drop his gloves.

Reactions: GNP

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
The perceived arrogance of people posting on this forum will have absolutely no impact on any Jets game...... playoff or otherwise.
Nor does all the cheering, blaming the coach or the players before, during or after the game:sarcasm:

Shaibu

Nov 12, 2016
Not sure what you meant by that, but Rinne has much more playoff wins than Helle. Arrogance is the way to the fall..
Yes he has more PO wins than Helle. So what? Last time he had a great opportunity but he failed, Murray was better.

Arrogance?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
No mention of the 50/60 minutes?

If you want a more precise term than giving up or stopping playing. Nashville stopped trying to create offense and was content with being a defensive shell and leaking shots and chances against for 50/60 minutes?

They obviously didn't stop playing. They got about 30 shots on Helle, even being up 3 goals. That is on average 2 to 3 goals against - but he played great and kicked them all out. Otherwise could have been a lot worse.

Frequently Asked Questions #12: Score Effects

Score effects provide critical context in stats analysis - Article - TSN

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
They obviously didn't stop playing. They got about 30 shots on Helle, even being up 3 goals. That is on average 2 to 3 goals against - but he played great and kicked them all out. Otherwise could have been a lot worse.

Frequently Asked Questions #12: Score Effects

Score effects provide critical context in stats analysis - Article - TSN
I understand what score effects are.

Both of those articles literally say the effects increase as the game goes on. Score effects maybe had a part of 20 minutes of that game. A team doesn't go into a defensive shell after 10 minutes. Maybe after we made it 3-1 with ~15 minutes left they did, even then it wasn't all that much of one, as you mentioned, they continued to get chances and shots.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I understand what score effects are.

Both of those articles literally say the effects increase as the game goes on. Score effects maybe had a part of 20 minutes of that game. A team doesn't go into a defensive shell after 10 minutes. Maybe after we made it 3-1 with ~15 minutes left they did, even then it wasn't all that much of one, as you mentioned, they continued to get chances and shots.

Nice try. I try to focus more on areas of agreement with fellow posters. If there is no area of agreement found after a short time, no problem, let's just move on. In this case, I would simply say that I disagree with the idea that score effects don't start until you decide they do.

Why Score Effects are the key to your fancy stats (Puck Momalytics)

"The idea behind Score Effects: When a team has a lead of two or more goals in the first or second period or even just one goal in the third period, it tends to protect that lead."

Even with score effects, they got 30 more shots on Helle.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
^ score effects are real but so are B2B effects. Quite often the team on the B2B comes out sluggish because of not enough sleep plus fatigue and the fact that there was no game day skate. Quite often these "effects" disappear as the sluggish team starts to get their legs under them. The chincy early call on Little did not help the process along. Nor the fact that Hutch couldn't make a save. Wheeler was not wrong suggesting that they needed to get out of the first down only 1-0. Then they had a chance.

Reactions: JetBlue420 and GNP

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
^ score effects are real but so are B2B effects. Quite often the team on the B2B comes out sluggish because of not enough sleep plus fatigue and the fact that there was no game day skate. Quite often these "effects" disappear as the sluggish team starts to get their legs under them. The chincy early call on Little did not help the process along. Nor the fact that Hutch couldn't make a save. Wheeler was not wrong suggesting that they needed to get out of the first down only 1-0. Then they had a chance.
Hutch had 12 saves. Some of them pretty good ones.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hutch had 12 saves. Some of them pretty good ones.

Hutch may have had 12 saves, but let in 3 in a row after that. You can tell when Helle came in, the whole team looks a lot more confident -- "including me." It looks like Hutch will not be the long term answer as a backup--too bad.

When he falls apart, he does so quite badly -- "no self confidence."

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Or, you know, he might have suffered brain damage.

I'm not a huge Hutch fan, but if he was suffering from the effects of a concussion, I'm going to cut him some slack. This isn't self confidence thing - it's a serious medical issue.

You could well be right, but I have a feeling he pulled himself, as he'll be looking for a new contract and home soon, and didn't want to get lit up for 7-8 goals-- then who would want him ???

I guess it's possible that he was suffering from a concussion :dunno:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

You could well be right, but I have a feeling he pulled himself, as he'll be looking for a new contract and home soon, and didn't want to get lit up for 7-8 goals-- then who would want him ???

So calling up Comrie on an emergency basis is some sort of sham? If Hutch walked on the team out why wouldn't they just suspend him?

Another bizarre HF conspiracy theory debunked

Reactions: JetBlue420

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Who does Hutch think he is? Patrick Roy?! :laugh:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So calling up Comrie on an emergency basis is some sort of sham? If Hutch walked on the team out why wouldn't they just suspend him?

Another bizarre HF conspiracy theory debunked

From what I've seen of Comrie--I don't think he's the answer. What will likely happen, is the Jet's will aquire a backup in the off season. I think Mason with all his health issues--is very questionable, and I would not count on him. If he could stay healthy, we'd have an ideal goalie tandem.

Also-- the thing with "concussions"-- is you can't prove them ?? If your "dizzy" or have a headache --how is anyone able to say any different ??? You have to take the player at his word.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I'm not a huge Hutch fan, but if he was suffering from the effects of a concussion, I'm going to cut him some slack. This isn't self confidence thing - it's a serious medical issue.

GNP has also made it clear in the past that he is skeptical of the reality or at the very least the impact of concussions.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
GNP has also made it clear in the past that he is skeptical of the reality or at the very least the impact of concussions.
_______________________________________________________-

Well Jets Fan --let's put this in proper perspective. I full well believe in "concussions" and the effects they have on people are "very real." Dizziness, headaches, seeing flashing lights etc. are all very real.

I will admit -- I'm "somewhat" skeptical as you say, because you cannot prove them like a broken leg--you have to take someone's word for it.

I ask you this question--do you think it's possible to "fake a concussion"--or do you think that's been done ??? I will not offer my opinion on this.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

From what I've seen of Comrie--I don't think he's the answer. What will likely happen, is the Jet's will aquire a backup in the off season. I think Mason with all his health issues--is very questionable, and I would not count on him. If he could stay healthy, we'd have an ideal goalie tandem.

Also-- the thing with "concussions"-- is you can't prove them ?? If your "dizzy" or have a headache --how is anyone able to say any different ??? You have to take the player at his word.
Ya but you thought Trouba was playing poorly so the Jets would trade him and you think Myers is our best D man!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just when you think you've heard everything, then a conspiracy theory is spun that a player is faking a concussion to not play to "protect his numbers". Wow.

Like most conspiracy theories, if you think about them for even half a second you realize that they make no sense. While it very may be possible to fake a concussion, it would hurt Hutch more on his next contract FAR MORE to have gotten another concussion (if they "buy the story") than to have his numbers go down a bit. Now with two concussions in such a short span he would get a injury plagued title, not something any team will want to take on as a backup. Then think of the downside if his "ruse" was discovered. NO team would sign a player that would fake an injury not to play. Not one.

So play out that risk reward in your head. Either way, he LOSES not gains on this pull. So remind me again why he would fake a concussion?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ya but you thought Trouba was playing poorly so the Jets would trade him and you think Myers is our best D man!

Well Ducky--don't try to put words into my mouth--that's not what I said in the past. I said I thought Buff is our best defenseman, and also said that Trouba was playing badly to "begin" the season, but started to really come on before he was injured. I also said if Trouba wants to stay here--"the Jet's should sign him"- providing his contract demands are reasonable, and won't upset the pay equilibrium we have. He's a good solid young defenseman, but I would not be in favor of giving him $ 8 mil per year,(plus) and would not be in favor of signing "anyone"-that's not really happy being here in Winnipeg. If Trouba was to sign around the $ 6-6.5 mil mark over 4-5 years--I'd be happy with that-- he's a great young D-man.

As for Myers-- you clearly "do not like him"--and that's OK, as we all have different opinions of certain players. For myself--I like Myers and like offensive minded defenseman, and I do think he's one of our best D-men. You contribute a lot of good ideas on players to this form Ducky-- but not everybody thinks like you do. There are a lot of posters on here, that like Tyler Myers--I'm one of them. ;)

We will have to agree to disagree on this Myer's subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Hutch is the goalie scapegoat equivalent to Little being the scapegoat on the forwards

Reactions: Ducky10 and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad