Post-Game Talk: Good second half effort but Jets lose 3-1

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It's hard to play your best hockey of the year missing 6 regulars, including 3 centres and 2 of your top 4 D. Score effects played a role in the 2nd agreed, but less so in the 3rd once the Jets made it 3-1, Nashville pushed back and the Jets were right there with them under tough circumstances. 6-1? Rinne made some huge saves as well, and had help in pulling one off the line, it wasn't all Helle.

I fail to see how we are "big" underdogs, underdogs yes, but big? While banged up now they stand a good chance of being a fair bit healthier come playoff time, have the depth and talent up front and in the back and to top it off have the type of goaltending every team needs in the playoffs. The Jets aren't "big" underdogs to anyone.

Losses always suck, but considering being on the tail end of a 6 game road trip, in a b2b and finding out in warmup, that the starting centre on what has been your best scoring line is being added to the list of walking wounded, I'd say a little pat on the back is ok for how they responded.

Who's looking past the 1st round? The only ones that matter are the players and how would any of us know that?

So you don't like the adjective 'big', but otherwise agree with my point. Got it. I agree about our depleted roster - said so.

Re looking past, have you read this board or listened to 1290? A lot about Jets vs Preds in the playoffs. To your point, I also hope the players aren't doing the same.

Reactions: TS Quint

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
First period total domination, then scoring effects. If not for Helle, could have been 6-1. I dont feel like we should pat ourselves on the back for the loss.

Not panicking because this was not the Jets team that we expect to show in the playoffs, especially Hutch. And there was grit, fight and push back in the second and third. But we are not playing our best hockey of the year (due to roster for example), and the Preds are.

We shouldnt look past the first round yet, but it's hard to see how we aren't big underdogs against the Preds if we make it to the second round. They are healthy and will be well rested. They have opened up such a wide lead over us, they can coast and rest key players. We will be lucky to get our starters back healthy in time to get them to shake off the rust. And our secret weapon, goaltending, is equalized by their secret weapon, goaltending.

If we don't get our team back, healthy, rust removed, we may not make it for a date in Nashville. I feel like we are looking past the first round, and that could be a huge mistake. No gimme's in the Central.
So, 50/60 minutes of the game were score effects? Nashville just gave up after they went up 3-0?

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. They would be stupid to stop playing 10 minutes into a game.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Just watched the highlights, missed the game.

Preds defenders are superb, and they utilize them so well in the offensive zone. Great team. We are a bit behind them even when healthy, I suspect.
yeah their D is better but our forwards are better and goaltending is even so...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So you don't like the adjective 'big', but otherwise agree with my point. Got it. I agree about our depleted roster - said so.

Re looking past, have you read this board or listened to 1290? A lot about Jets vs Preds in the playoffs. To your point, I also hope the players aren't doing the same.
Using adjectives such as "big" do have meaning, descriptors do matter, otherwise people wouldn't use them. If I'm reading something and someone describes the Jets as underdog vs big underdogs, I'm not supposed to draw a distinction? Really?

Anyway, this board and the genius's who reside on 1290 looking past the 1st round is utterly meaningless. Absolutely zero to do with the players, I highly doubt a team without a single playoff game win to their name is looking past the first round. Why would they?

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
And proceeded not to follow through lol. He needs to stop treating him with kid gloves, hes more then equipped to handle more responsibility and the increased ice time that goes with it.

IIRC he mentioned something about not wanting to give him too many minutes too soon. I think it's hogwash personally. But team dynamics are certainly at play here.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It can't be stated enough, despite being a very good hockey player, P.K. Subban is a ****ing, annoying ********, a borderline embarrassment at times.

He's going to be public enemy #1 on the **** list if we face them in the playoffs. The Jets better be disciplined though, he's going to try and drive them batty. Hope Copp and Lowry take a few rounds out of him.

Yes, the fact that he had Ehlers in a choke hold on the ice and still took Ehlers with him to the box infuriated me.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Yes, the fact that he had Ehlers in a choke hold on the ice and still took Ehlers with him to the box infuriated me.
But this is one of the reasons he's effective. You need to remove that aspect of his game by not letting him get under your skin. I don't know why so many players are still sucked in by him at this point.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
But this is one of the reasons he's effective. You need to remove that aspect of his game by not letting him get under your skin. I don't know why so many players are still sucked in by him at this point.

Wise words. However that ship has sailed for Ehlers.. they had words earlier in the game. Fly must surely dislike Subban.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Using adjectives such as "big" do have meaning, descriptors do matter, otherwise people wouldn't use them. If I'm reading something and someone describes the Jets as underdog vs big underdogs, I'm not supposed to draw a distinction? Really?

Anyway, this board and the genius's who reside on 1290 looking past the 1st round is utterly meaningless. Absolutely zero to do with the players, I highly doubt a team without a single playoff game win to their name is looking past the first round. Why would they?

Re underdogs, other than the word 'big' you agree. Got it.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Wise words. However that ship has sailed for Ehlers.. they had words earlier in the game. Fly must surely dislike Subban.
No matter....he can still exercise self-discipline going forward. It's not easy I know that but it's worth fighting through cuz when PK can't get them off their game that way, he will start to take penalties himself.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No matter....he can still exercise self-discipline going forward. It's not easy I know that but it's worth fighting through cuz when PK can't get them off their game that way, he will start to take penalties himself.
Best way to deal with P.K. is to pump a few quick ones past his team and watch the wheels fly off.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
What's ridiculous is to equate scoring effects to 'gave up' and 'stop playing'.
No mention of the 50/60 minutes?

If you want a more precise term than giving up or stopping playing. Nashville stopped trying to create offense and was content with being a defensive shell and leaking shots and chances against for 50/60 minutes?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

But that wasn't even a matter of getting under Ehlers' skin. He simply held on to Ehlers and rubbed his glove in his face. Ehlers just tried to get up.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
But that wasn't even a matter of getting under Ehlers' skin. He simply held on to Ehlers and rubbed his glove in his face. Ehlers just tried to get up.
Fly was on top of him. No reason he couldn't have separated himself from that. PK obviously did or said something to keep Fly engaged.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Watch a replay. PK kept his arm wrapped around Ehlers' neck holding him down.
I saw the play. Are you saying Ehlers was held down for an extended period because PK had 1 arm around his neck? If that's the case Fly better hit the gym more often.

Any way my main point was PK's antics in general not just that play. He riled up Scheif not so long ago too. And he'll continue to do it if they let him.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In my mind the Jet's were playing with a "patched up" replacement team, as the Jets were missing about 1/2 their core players. Even at that, if Helle was in net to start, I don't think the Preds would have got 2 goals short handed.

Considering we slightly outplayed them after our mental lapse in the 1-st period, with a bunch of second string players-- that is very encouraging. This was a tight game !!!

I view the Preds as the best team in the Western Conference, and the Penns in the Eastern Conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad