Speculation: Good players that could potentially be put on waivers before the season?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One of Biega, Goldobin or Leivo in Vancouver. I don't think ownership is willing to send down both Schaller and Eriksson.
Ericsson’s salary is $1 mill. Bonus already paid. If the goal is playoffs then let the coaches decide who gives them the best chance to achieve that goal.

Regardless of who they send down aside from Gaudette, those extra forwards and D are on 1 way deals. Paying that money out regardless of where they are playing.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
You're right, thanks for the clarification on the waivers. I'm just so anxious to have all our kids make it asap that I put no real thought into the post.

Re: the AHL playoff eligibility, please explain as clearly I'm not familiar with it.

The guys you want eligible for the AHL playoffs have to be on the AHL roster when the deadline passes at 3PM.

Not a huge deal, as you can send them down "on paper" and then re-call them "on paper" right after the deadline.

However, teams are limited to only 4 "regular" (non-emergency) recalls after the deadline passes. An "on paper" up and down would burn one of those 4 recalls, so they'd only be able call 4 of them back up and wouldn't have the flexibility to look at anyone else unless a bunch of injuries pop up and they have to use emergency re-call.

To keep all of those guys up, the Wings would have to make some ineligible for the AHL playoffs. Considering that GR is expected to be competitive this year, I would guess Yzerman would want to keep that option open for as many of them as possible, even waiver exempt guys that make the team out of camp or earn a spot later in the season.

A more realistic scenario would be what they've done the past 3 years, where they trade guys at the deadline and don't call anyone up right away. Having just enough guys to dress a 20 man line up means anytime somebody gets a minor bump they can use emergency recall to look at a whole bunch of different guys, and then when guys get legit hurt they shut them down for the year and continue to take advantage of emergency recall while gradually burning the 4 regular call ups as needed.

Hypothetically on D, let's say Cholowski makes the team and they trade Daley and Green at the deadline, while they couldn't find a taker for Ericsson:
-Cholowski can get sent down on paper before the deadline, and then recalled on paper after. Would make him eligible for the AHL playoffs if they think he would still benefit from the experience and burns one call up
-They run with only 6 D on the roster (DeKeyser, Nemeth, Hronek, Bowey, Ericsson and Cholowski)
-When Ericsson (or any D) gets so much as a bruise or a cough or an obviously serious injury, he can be scratched and they can recall a dman under emergency recall, who can stay up until after Ericsson (or whatever D it is) dresses again
-If any of those guys get shut down for the year after the deadline, someone can be recalled under emergency for the rest of the season

The Red Wings recalled 6 Dmen after the deadline last season, and 5 of them were under emergency recall.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ericsson’s salary is $1 mill. Bonus already paid. If the goal is playoffs then let the coaches decide who gives them the best chance to achieve that goal.

Regardless of who they send down aside from Gaudette, those extra forwards and D are on 1 way deals. Paying that money out regardless of where they are playing.
absolutely nobody will pick up Ericsson if he is put on waivers and sent down and the canucks would then be up to 8.3 M in dead cap space..sure his salary may only be $1 but his cap hit is $6 for the next 3 seasons...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
How about Filppula for Detroit? He is just taking a place away and has no value to improve Detroit by any mean.

If Filppula gets waived after Yzerman gave him a $3M/year 2 year deal with an NTC, I want Ken Holland back as GM ASAP....

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It would not surprise me to see Boedker get cut from the Sens. He'd probably clear.

He has been on the trade block all summer. I think there's a chance that DJ Smith isn't high on him.

The Senators have an abundance of bottom 6 wingers knocking on the door and not a lot of spots.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The guys you want eligible for the AHL playoffs have to be on the AHL roster when the deadline passes at 3PM.

Not a huge deal, as you can send them down "on paper" and then re-call them "on paper" right after the deadline.

However, teams are limited to only 4 "regular" (non-emergency) recalls after the deadline passes. An "on paper" up and down would burn one of those 4 recalls, so they'd only be able call 4 of them back up and wouldn't have the flexibility to look at anyone else unless a bunch of injuries pop up and they have to use emergency re-call.

To keep all of those guys up, the Wings would have to make some ineligible for the AHL playoffs. Considering that GR is expected to be competitive this year, I would guess Yzerman would want to keep that option open for as many of them as possible, even waiver exempt guys that make the team out of camp or earn a spot later in the season.

A more realistic scenario would be what they've done the past 3 years, where they trade guys at the deadline and don't call anyone up right away. Having just enough guys to dress a 20 man line up means anytime somebody gets a minor bump they can use emergency recall to look at a whole bunch of different guys, and then when guys get legit hurt they shut them down for the year and continue to take advantage of emergency recall while gradually burning the 4 regular call ups as needed.

Hypothetically on D, let's say Cholowski makes the team and they trade Daley and Green at the deadline, while they couldn't find a taker for Ericsson:
-Cholowski can get sent down on paper before the deadline, and then recalled on paper after. Would make him eligible for the AHL playoffs if they think he would still benefit from the experience and burns one call up
-They run with only 6 D on the roster (DeKeyser, Nemeth, Hronek, Bowey, Ericsson and Cholowski)
-When Ericsson (or any D) gets so much as a bruise or a cough or an obviously serious injury, he can be scratched and they can recall a dman under emergency recall, who can stay up until after Ericsson (or whatever D it is) dresses again
-If any of those guys get shut down for the year after the deadline, someone can be recalled under emergency for the rest of the season

The Red Wings recalled 6 Dmen after the deadline last season, and 5 of them were under emergency recall.
Thanks for the write-up @ShelbyZ , on that note, do you think SY will waive any of E/Daley/Abby anytime before the TDL?

moegillknee

Jul 30, 2016
Oscar Dansk in Vegas will have to clear . Might be an option as a backup .31st pick in 2012.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Canucks waiver wire dump is probably going to be a lot of stuff nobody is interested in. It's really hard to predict exactly who they're going to keep and who is Utica bound. Goldobin and Leivo are probably the most interesting names that might be there...but it could end up being more like Schaller and Motte, who are both no offense guys that you can roll out on a 4th line / spare forward role and be fine, but i don't see any teams that don't already have plenty of those types of their own. On Defence, one of either Alex Biega or Fantenberg presumably hit waivers as well...but again, everyone already has oodles of fringe 7th D types in house, and a lot of them are better.

Not "good" players, but players that could be on waivers that may attract some attention

Alex Carrier
Forsbacka-Karlsson
McKeown

Not all will be available but just some names to debate I guess

These names are all interesting to me, if they do indeed hit the waiver wire.

The Canucks already have a glut of fringe forwards to sift through, so there'd be zero room to take on a guy like JFK up front, but i'd think someone certainly puts a claim in on him. That's a decent young player with some upside.

The defencemen though, might be worth looking at. It'd mean the Canucks would be putting both Biega and Fantenberg on waivers themselves though, to fit a defenceman in. And it'd basically be claiming a guy just to sit them in the press box mostly, until the inevitable Tanev injury occurs. The RHD is pretty locked in with Tanev-Myers-Stecher in the meantime though.

But i'd definitely want them to take a look at Carrier if he hits waivers. Tough to justify because he hasn't really got much of an NHL look to establish that he can play at that level, but i think there's some pretty decent upside there. Canucks blueline can use all the young help it can potentially get, especially if it's "free". McKeown much the same, to a slightly lesser extent.

Morin potentially too. Not sure he's got enough to earn a spot here and we can't send him down without waivers i believe.

Morin would be interesting if he ends up on waivers. A bit like Carrier in that he hasn't really had a chance to establish himself at the NHL level...but is still young and might have a bit of "upside" to him, if your team can afford to work him in and give him a look. I'd want the Canucks to take a flyer on that.

Haydn Fleury would be another one who i'd want to see the Canucks make a claim on to add a young guy with a little upside to their blueline. A bit more "proven" as a capable NHLer. Though it sounds unlikely he ends up on waivers with injuries on the Canes defence to start the season. Probably also a candidate to be dealt for something else before he'd be waived anyway too.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I guess for the sharks we could have
Johnny Brodzinski
Aaron Dell
Barclay Goodrow
Dalton Prout
Melker Karlsson
Trevor Carrick

But all are unlikely
I don't follow the Sharks, but I could've sworn that during the PO's, the commentators were stating that Thornton & co. loved playing with Goodrow. Or was I thinking about another player?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
absolutely nobody will pick up Ericsson if he is put on waivers and sent down and the canucks would then be up to 8.3 M in dead cap space..sure his salary may only be $1 but his cap hit is $6 for the next 3 seasons...
I already posted earlier that I doubt any veteran making money won’t get claimed.

Dead cap is dead cap. They’d save $1.075 mill of that $6 mill sending him down. Leivo, Motte, Goldy make less than that so they gain more cap space sending Loui and Schaller down cause they make over $1.075 against the cap.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't follow the Sharks, but I could've sworn that during the PO's, the commentators were stating that Thornton & co. loved playing with Goodrow. Or was I thinking about another player?
Goodrow won’t get waived and I doubt Brodzinski is either. Honestly of that list the only one that might get waived is Carrick, unless Merkley or Ferraro make the team which I kind of doubt.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Goodrow is pretty solid for us and will 90% stick around, but he has the potential of being beat out if enough young guys really show up

Last edited:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
"Good" is a subjective/relative term.

:habs

Very likely:
- Peca
- Hudon
- McCarron
- Alzner
- Weise
- Barber
- Varone
- Ouellet
- Olofsson
- Lindgren

Not likely at all, but possible:
- Thompson
- Reilly
- Folin

McCarron is injured and expected to be out 6 weeks. So no, he won’t be on waivers prior to the season

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Bobby Ryan. He is soooo good. And he costs you....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Maybe a rusty trombone.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
:avs

Forwards

Avs forward group projects as...

Landeskog --- Mackinnon --- Rantanen
Jost ------------- Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Wilson -------- Compher ----- Donskoi
Nieto --------- Bellemare ----- Calvert​

... meaning that at least 2 of the following forwards will likely be waived (possibly even all 3 if O'Connor, Dries, or Kaut earn a spot):
  • Kamenev
  • Nichuskin
  • Greer

Defense

The defense projects as...

Girard ------ Makar
Zadorov ---- Johnson
Connauton - Rosén/Cole (Cole returns in December)​

... meaning that the following D-men may get waived.
  • Graves
  • Barberio
  • Alt
Rosén is waiver exempt, so maybe the team chooses to send Rosén down instead of Graves or Barberio so as to not lose either of them to waivers. Alt is a lock to get waived. If Timmins and/or Byram make the roster then it's likely that that all three of Graves/Barberio/Alt get waived.

Also worth noting that Colorado need a No.3 goalie, and might use one of the aforementioned players in a trade for a goalie. Domingue/Condon, Pickard, or DeSmith/Jarry would likely be among the trade targets, after they have passed through waivers.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
On Detroit :

Dominic Turgeon
Jacob de la Rose
Joe Hicketts (although I think he'll stay as the 7th D)
Calvin Pickard

Not all stars, but still serviceable players.

Yea, this is what I'm pretty much expecting. I'd also add Bowey as a maybe, depending on how Cholowski and Kaski do in preseason.

This is also me assuming everyone comes in 100% healthy for day 1 of the season. Who freaking knows if that'll be the case. Especially concerning the Wings D.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad