Speculation: Good players that could potentially be put on waivers before the season?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I can see the Ducks keep Guhle and Larsson in the AHL for more seasoning to start and signing a righty like Mckeown who has a bit more seasoning.
McKeown only has 10 games of NHL experience in 17-18 compared to Guhle’s 29 games and Larsson’s 53 games of more recent NHL experience.

I could see Anaheim picking up a righty on waivers though since they would have to depend on Holzer, Del Zotto or Wideman to hold down the 3rd pair right side down.

D-Pair 1 LD Lindholm RD Manson
D-Pair 2 LD Larsson RD Fowler
D-Pair 3 LD Guhle RD Holzer

LD Del Zotto
RD Wideman
LD Mahura

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
McKeown only has 10 games of NHL experience in 17-18 compared to Guhle’s 29 games and Larsson’s 53 games of more recent NHL experience.

I could see Anaheim picking up a righty on waivers though since they would have to depend on Holzer, Del Zotto or Wideman to hold down the 3rd pair right side down.

D-Pair 1 LD Lindholm RD Manson
D-Pair 2 LD Larsson RD Fowler
D-Pair 3 LD Guhle RD Holzer

LD Del Zotto
RD Wideman
LD Mahura

Mckeown has over 200 AHL games and showed more consistently (although on better teams) than Guhle, who’s played just over 100 AHL games. Plus he is about 1.5 years older and so he should be more physical developed.

I sort of prefer that Guhle dominate the AHL like Theo and Montour did before coming up. If he lets vets like Wideman, or peers like Larsson, Mahura, or Benoit outshine him given his physical talents then he isn’t ready. Rushing him would make another Sbisa, who was rushed and lacked hockey IQ.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Not "good" players, but players that could be on waivers that may attract some attention
Holden
Zykov
T. Jarry
Alex Carrier
Timashov
Honka
Evgeny Svechnikov (Det)
Hicketts
Forsbacka-Karlsson
Hayden
Koekkoek
Eriksson-Ek
Ho Sang
McKeown
Granlund (Van)
Goldobin
Milano
Paul
Kamenev

Not all will be available but just some names to debate I guess

E Svechnikov is still exempt he was injured all last year.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not "good" players, but players that could be on waivers that may attract some attention
Holden
Zykov
T. Jarry
Alex Carrier
Timashov
Honka
Evgeny Svechnikov (Det)
Hicketts
Forsbacka-Karlsson
Hayden
Koekkoek
Eriksson-Ek
Ho Sang
McKeown
Granlund (Van)
Goldobin
Milano
Paul
Kamenev

Not all will be available but just some names to debate I guess
I believe the NHL gave him an extra year of waiver exemption b/c he missed all of last season.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Caps need to get under the cap and the league knows it, so why they may look to trade one or two of the following, I think they’ll have a hard time doing so...

Travis Boyd
Christian Djoos
Chandler Stephenson
Pheonix Copley

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Mckeown has over 200 AHL games and showed more consistently (although on better teams) than Guhle, who’s played just over 100 AHL games. Plus he is about 1.5 years older and so he should be more physical developed.

I sort of prefer that Guhle dominate the AHL like Theo and Montour did before coming up. If he lets vets like Wideman, or peers like Larsson, Mahura, or Benoit outshine him given his physical talents then he isn’t ready. Rushing him would make another Sbisa, who was rushed and lacked hockey IQ.
I am absolutely certain that they want Guhle in the NHL.

Also, Sbisa didn't fail because they 'rushed' him. Hockey IQ is not something that can be taught or trained at this point in these player's careers. You either have it or you don't, by now.

Reactions: duckpuck

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
you guys can have a few MTL studs such as Dale Weise, Matthew Peca and the legend himself, Karl Alzner.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Haydn Fleury.

Highly unlikely.

He has looked very good in camp/preseason it’s obvious he would be claimed so the canes wouldn’t just give him away for free even if he wasn’t going to make the team.

TVR is out until November.

They play opposite sides.

Really? Damn...

We'll reunite him with his brother Cale then...

Not really. I don’t recognize that poster as a canes fan so I’m not sure what he’s basing that off of. Fleury won’t be waived.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and LakeLivin

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
"Good" is a subjective/relative term.

:habs

Very likely:
- Peca
- Hudon
- McCarron
- Alzner
- Weise
- Barber
- Varone
- Ouellet
- Olofsson
- Lindgren

Not likely at all, but possible:
- Thompson
- Reilly
- Folin

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Philly could have on waivers.

RW Aube-Kubel < maybe
LD Hagg < maybe for burial purposes to save cap.
RW Pitlick < maybe
RW Gabriel < maybe

LW Andreoff
C Criscuolo
RD Welinski
RD Prosser
RD Bigras
LD Brennen
LD Wotherspoon
RD Willcox
G Lyon
G J.F. Berube

Morin potentially too. Not sure he's got enough to earn a spot here and we can't send him down without waivers i believe.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There won't be much for the Rangers in my opinion.

Guys like Fogarty or Nieves might pass through waivers at some point, but I wouldn't regard either as anything more than tweeners/role players at this point. I do think Fogarty may have a better chance at it, though.
Nieves will not be waived.
Scrubs [Fogarty] could be put on waivers.
Deadwood will be difficult to move.
Vets with value being pushed by younger guys likely to be traded, in some cases for market value, in some case for less. But not likely waived.

Should have waived Staal, kept Shatty, and that might have left possible one or two lessers being waived. But Shatty gave us just enuf wiggle room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad