Speculation: Good players that could potentially be put on waivers before the season?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Goodrow won’t get waived and I doubt Brodzinski is either. Honestly of that list the only one that might get waived is Carrick, unless Merkley or Ferraro make the team which I kind of doubt.
Ferraro looks really good, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait on him for a couple months or whatever, but either Carrick or Prout (I think Carrick) will be waived once Simek comes back and we have 8 veteran d under contract.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ferraro looks really good, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait on him for a couple months or whatever, but either Carrick or Prout (I think Carrick) will be waived once Simek comes back and we have 8 veteran d under contract.
Yeah I wasn’t saying either of Merkley or Ferraro making the roster is likely. Just that that is the only way Prout is waived.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I doubt the Rangers waive anything of value... maybe some AHL depth guys like a Fogarty.

Brendan Smith could get waived and wind up in the AHL, but I think it’s more likely he’s 13th forward / 7th D. He can play two roles and AHL doesn’t bury enough $$$.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If we're talking decent talent, then Goldobin i guess is a possibility?

Miikka Salomaki is one i definitely think has more to give than being the 13th forward, he's sort of been stuck in that limbo for years now and a change of scenery/more ice time could spark him. We'll see if he hits waivers though.

But no team is so loaded that you'd be licking your chops at getting someone through waivers from them, at least i don't think so.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I doubt the Rangers waive anything of value... maybe some AHL depth guys like a Fogarty.

Brendan Smith could get waived and wind up in the AHL, but I think it’s more likely he’s 13th forward / 7th D. He can play two roles and AHL doesn’t bury enough $$$.
Smith will be buried IMO and not returning unless there is injury.
He would be cut except it is cheaper cap wise to bury.

If he were put on waivers and claimed, most of his salary/cap hit is still paid by Rangers, right? Waiver cost is paltry, correct?
If the dif is negligible, and NY is not immediately concerned about the 50 man headcount limit, it doesn't make sense for NY to waive BS in a vacuum.
We'd like to pay a reasonably priced bribe and eat the max half, reducing him from 4.35 to 2.1775 per x 2. He can then be flipped again one more time at half retention which is somewhere around 1.8+.
A team that needs cap help now could take that 1.8ish for 2+ in cap hit for a reasonable surrender of futures.

An illustration prior to LV dealing with its cap crunch would have been Smith at half for Holden 2.2 + Merrill 1.375 both full pop expiring. NY would have saved 4.3+ - 3.5+ = a .8 dif on top of the half they were eating, But they would have cut the obligation 2 yrs to 1.
LVGK would be losing 3.5+ and taking on 2.17+ which is a shade under/around 1.4 dif saved. Vegas then could have found a suitor like OTT near the cap floor to take Smith at half for an inducement if nec.

Similar scenario for Namest.

I agree little of value waived by NY.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Things change. That's what the preseason games are for.

From a couple days ago
VGK Broadcaster Roundtable: Sept. 16, 2019

Gary Lawless (VGK Insider)
1. GM Kelly McCrimmon has stated Malcolm Subban is the backup goalie this season. Subban was 8-10-2 in 20 starts last season. The club needs him to win more often when he subs in for Marc-Andre Fleury. His performance Sunday, stopping 28 of 30 shots is exactly what Vegas needs from Subban this season. Good start.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
We just resigned Hicketts for 2 yrs & just signed Pickard, doubt either gets waived. I think if anybody gets waived it'll be: Ericsson/Daley/Abdelkader (even though he's an Alternate Capt.). Hoping all: Cholo/Kaski/Seider/Ras/Veleno/Zadina/Svech either make the team to start or all up by the TDL at the latest. I think Hirose is pretty much a lock for the 2RW spot.

By TDL, I'm hoping for:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Hirose
Veleno-Flip-Zadina
Svech-Ras-Erne
Helm
Ehn

DDK-Hronek
Nemeth-Seider
Cholo-Kaski
Bowey

Bernier
Larsson

Trade: Green, Howard, JDLR
Trade/waive/dump: Ericsson, Daley, Abby
Hicketts can go back to GR.
I cant believe Helm is still around lol seems like he's played forever

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
From a couple days ago
VGK Broadcaster Roundtable: Sept. 16, 2019

Gary Lawless (VGK Insider)
1. GM Kelly McCrimmon has stated Malcolm Subban is the backup goalie this season. Subban was 8-10-2 in 20 starts last season. The club needs him to win more often when he subs in for Marc-Andre Fleury. His performance Sunday, stopping 28 of 30 shots is exactly what Vegas needs from Subban this season. Good start.

He could just as easily lose it with a poor preseason game.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Both Brendan Perlini and Slater Koekkoek are decent players on the chopping block in Chicago. Koekkoek is a decent bottom pairing D and Perlini still has loads of upside if he could correct his rectal-cranial inversion.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
3 spots for these. The rest on waivers. I think Gauthier, Spezza, Petan and Agostino start on the team. Petan waived once Hyman is back.

Freddy Gauthier,
Jason Spezza
Kenny Agostino
Nicholas Petan
Pontus Aberg
Nick Shore
Dmytro Timashov
Garrett Wilson
Kalle Kossila
Tyler Gaudet
+ The non waiver Eligible in Engvall, Marchment, Korshkov, Bracco.

---------

As For defenseman there are 2 spots for. I think Schmaltz, Harpur and Marincin are the ones to stay. Marincin waived a little later.

Kevin Gravel
Jordan Scmaltz
Martin Marincin
Justin Holl
Ben Harpur
+ Kivihalme, Sandin, Liljegren

--------
+ if Read and neuvirth get signed that makes two other possibilities along with hutchinson and Kaskisiou

archimet

Aug 17, 2008
Not "good" players, but players that could be on waivers that may attract some attention
Holden
Zykov
T. Jarry
Alex Carrier
Timashov
Honka
Evgeny Svechnikov (Det)
Hicketts
Forsbacka-Karlsson
Hayden
Koekkoek
Eriksson-Ek
Ho Sang
McKeown
Granlund (Van)
Goldobin
Milano
Paul
Kamenev

Not all will be available but just some names to debate I guess

Evgeny Svechnikov (Det) is waiver exempt. He was injured all last year.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Maybe. I don't know very much about Peca so what kind of player is he?
He's a center with a lot of speed, but very limited vision and tooling. I'd rather have Agostino back to add sand paper on our bottom line combinations.

No chance from Habs POV. Aviation was on the Habs last year. They let him walk.
So? Do you prefer Weise or Cousins? I don't, I'd rather have Kenny back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maplebeasts

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Both Brendan Perlini and Slater Koekkoek are decent players on the chopping block in Chicago. Koekkoek is a decent bottom pairing D and Perlini still has loads of upside if he could correct his rectal-cranial inversion.

I would be all over Puljujarvi for Perlini

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->