OT: Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So some golf news:

I talked about getting new shafts for my irons - well instead I got a new 3 wood, TSI3. I ordered it from a week or two ago. They are saying 4 weeks, but it may be shorter due to the fact that the shaft I want isn't a normal shaft that people order, and that I'm left handed...In other words it may be able to be made faster.

I'm playing Glen Mills tomorrow. Sunday is my bday so I took Friday off and decided to get a round in with some buds. First time playing it - it's supposed to be one of the better public courses in PA. Supposed to be difficult. I'll report back later.
The 11th hole might be one of the dumbest holes ever.

Back when kids were at the school, that course would be in unreal shape. They'd send the kids out there and repair every divot and ball mark. Since they closed the course, it has gone down hill a bit. I think it's the 7th hole, par 3. Have fun with that green, depending where the flag is and where you end up.

Reactions: VladDrag

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So for those of you that remember/care, I ordered a set of Taylormade P770 back in the middle of February. I never really was told when they would arrive so after I had already put my current clubs up on eBay, I figured I better find out when my new ones were going to arrive. After reaching out I was told end of May due to the shafts being out of stock. I changed the shaft and was told it should help. I'd follow up every now and then and in March was told to check back on 4/20 as it looked like the stuff should arrive into the factory around then. So I waited and on Tuesday I reached out. I was told everything is on schedule, looks like they have everything and it'll take a few weeks to assemble and ship and they should ship by 5/15. I was a little annoyed since I wouldn't have them in time for my trip I'm going on in the beginning of May, but not much I could do.

Well, I walk out the door about 20 minutes ago, heading to my girlfriends, and I nearly step on this box....my peen is so hard

IMG_20210423_171815_01.jpg
IMG_20210423_172325_01.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So for those of you that remember/care, I ordered a set of Taylormade P770 back in the middle of February. I never really was told when they would arrive so after I had already put my current clubs up on eBay, I figured I better find out when my new ones were going to arrive. After reaching out I was told end of May due to the shafts being out of stock. I changed the shaft and was told it should help. I'd follow up every now and then and in March was told to check back on 4/20 as it looked like the stuff should arrive into the factory around then. So I waited and on Tuesday I reached out. I was told everything is on schedule, looks like they have everything and it'll take a few weeks to assemble and ship and they should ship by 5/15. I was a little annoyed since I wouldn't have them in time for my trip I'm going on in the beginning of May, but not much I could do.

Well, I walk out the door about 20 minutes ago, heading to my girlfriends, and I nearly step on this box....my peen is so hard

View attachment 425558 View attachment 425559 View attachment 425560

Beauties. I'm dead curious what I would shoot with actual nice irons like those.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Playing a bunch of Mercer County courses over the next couple weeks. Mercer Oaks and Mountain View are my favorites. Public courses around me in Burlington County aren't great. Pennsauken is the only one I like. I despise Ramblewood.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Beauties. I'm dead curious what I would shoot with actual nice irons like those.
I can't wait to use them tomorrow.

Not to complain, but it would have been nice to know they were coming. Had I not gone out for dinner, I would have had no clue they were there.

What do you have now?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Death of the 3 iron: interesting article on the death of the 3 iron and why I have been unable to find sets that carry them. :laugh:
Yeah, the degree of irons has changed the entire landscape. That's why it's funny when you hear people bragging about hitting a 6 iron 200 yards or whatever with their new club. It's like hey buddy, that 6 iron you have has the loft of an old 4 iron.

When I went to get my clubs, I was told the P770s don't have a 3 iron, like that article states, but they actually do. I might buy it. I love hitting a nice 3 iron

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
So I played Glen Mills today. Greens were just aerated so putting was a nightmare. Wind was blowing, too

The views from the course was great, tho. I shot an 86, but finished the last 3 holes with a triple and two doubles - I was playing pretty good through to that point.

I missed a 120 yard eagle hole out by ~18”.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, the degree of irons has changed the entire landscape. That's why it's funny when you hear people bragging about hitting a 6 iron 200 yards or whatever with their new club. It's like hey buddy, that 6 iron you have has the loft of an old 4 iron.

When I went to get my clubs, I was told the P770s don't have a 3 iron, like that article states, but they actually do. I might buy it. I love hitting a nice 3 iron
Exactly. You have to look at lofts, my current clubs are about 2 degrees stronger than “standard”, so like 1/2 a club. But also the majority of the weight is at the bottom, which helps get the center of mass of the club under the ball = better launch.

The P770’s and p790’s clubs have that speed foam which helps ball speed. Ping has a set like that too. New age irons are getting really techy.

Most of the better/players irons have a 3i. But lots of pros drop it out of the bad and play with 4 wedges (pw, gw, sw, lw). I think DJ plays with a 3i, but only plays with 3 wedges.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Exactly. You have to look at lofts, my current clubs are about 2 degrees stronger than “standard”, so like 1/2 a club. But also the majority of the weight is at the bottom, which helps get the center of mass of the club under the ball = better launch.

The P770’s and p790’s clubs have that speed foam which helps ball speed. Ping has a set like that too. New age irons are getting really techy.

Most of the better/players irons have a 3i. But lots of pros drop it out of the bad and play with 4 wedges (pw, gw, sw, lw). I think DJ plays with a 3i, but only plays with 3 wedges.
In my old set, I had a 3 iron and 4 wedges, PW, 52, 56, 60, but only had a driver and hybrid. With this set since I don't have a 3 iron, I'll put my 3wood back in the bag.

How dumb was that 11th hole today?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
In my old set, I had a 3 iron and 4 wedges, PW, 52, 56, 60, but only had a driver and hybrid. With this set since I don't have a 3 iron, I'll put my 3wood back in the bag.

How dumb was that 11th hole today?
Honestly 11 wasn’t that bad for me. It was right but I hit a great drive to ~60 yards from the green (we were paying from the whites plus the wind was at our back at 11). Missed the birdie putt tho.

15 was rough tho. Par 5. But 20mph winds into our face, at the top of a hill. Felt like it was playing 700 yards.

also that green on 7 sucked.

Reactions: Cody Webster

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

View attachment 425558 View attachment 425559 View attachment 425560
Those are beautiful! When you getting out to break them in?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Honestly 11 wasn’t that bad for me. It was right but I hit a great drive to ~60 yards from the green (we were paying from the whites plus the wind was at our back at 11). Missed the birdie putt tho.

15 was rough tho. Par 5. But 20mph winds into our face, at the top of a hill. Felt like it was playing 700 yards.

also that green on 7 sucked.
Where was the pin on 7? If it's in the back, it's absolutely brutal. That short par 4 can be pretty tough too due to the green not being very deep.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Where was the pin on 7? If it's in the back, it's absolutely brutal. That short par 4 can be pretty tough too due to the green not being very deep.
It was in the back. I hit a horror of a tee shot. Blocked it up near the cart path on the top of the hill. I had to flop over the rocks. 2 putt for bogey.

Reactions: Cody Webster

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
People in Ontario are getting very restless about the golf course closures. Rumour has it the closure will be extended to the beginning of June now.

The kicker? Last weekend the city of Toronto restarted the weekend shut down of a few major city streets to cars to allow walkers, runners, cyclists, etc to be outside. The inconsistency is hilarious.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
First round of the year. 91, yuck. Though I think if the conditions were more reasonable it would have been around an 85. It was windy as all balls today and literally every green had a different pace/they were all pretty pock marked. Still playing on real greens the first week of May is pretty good for where I am from so I'm not complaining.

Hopefully that will be the high score for the year so it should all get better from here haha.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

View attachment 425559 View attachment 425560

So nice. Not gonna lie I’m still bit off on my yardages with my new ones but my lord they feel awesome. Really loving the putter too

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
People in Ontario are getting very restless about the golf course closures. Rumour has it the closure will be extended to the beginning of June now.

The kicker? Last weekend the city of Toronto restarted the weekend shut down of a few major city streets to cars to allow walkers, runners, cyclists, etc to be outside. The inconsistency is hilarious.

Today started another shutdown here. Golf is still a go but we lost the patio for beers. I know not even close to Ontario but still sucks :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad