OT: Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Are your guys ball snobs, do you stick to one ball ?

Im pretty particular to Pro V and TP5.

I never was because I found a million balls while caddying, so I just used those. One time we went into the pond - the one that was lined with rocks, right next to a major road, and had basically no snake population ever - and three of us found like 88 balls.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Is it truly that bad ? I would riot if that happened here. Also apparently the border is shut down , not sure how that is gonna go for cabin owners in Lake of the Woods ?
We are hitting daily records more often than not now. Toronto specifically is in a rough state.

But the issue is they appear just to be take a firm stance to save face and apply it across the entire province. Regardless of the impact on cases or not. Hell, Ford yesterday announced that police can randomly stop people now for proof of address and ask where they are going. Of course every police force has already come out and said they will not be doing that.

Its just exhausting. The earliest recreational activities can resume (golf, tennis, playgrounds, basketball courts, etc) is May 20. Considering thats right before the long weekend, I’m expecting late May/early June.

Last edited:
Reactions: bennysflyers16

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Are your guys ball snobs, do you stick to one ball ?

Im pretty particular to Pro V and TP5.
I have used Nike PD Longs for years. About half the price of the Pro V/TP5, normally.

When Nike got out of the equipment business, my local course, which had a Nike contract, sold the balls at a ridiculous discount, so I bought about 30 boxes. :laugh:

Should last me a while yet.

I grew up watching my frugal dad win club championships using Ultra balls, so I know I don't have to keep up with the Joneses with high end golf balls. :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have used Nike PD Longs for years. About half the price of the Pro V/TP5, normally.

When Nike got out of the equipment business, my local course, which had a Nike contract, sold the balls at a ridiculous discount, so I bought about 30 boxes. :laugh:

I grew up watching my frugal dad win club championships using Ultra balls, so I know I don't have to keep up with the Joneses with high end golf balls. :laugh:

Ultras were OK. I liked Titleist, but they just cut so easily (meaning the surface cut). Pinnacles were cool off the tee because they were rock hard. But ultimately it never made much difference.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Ultras were OK. I liked Titleist, but they just cut so easily (meaning the surface cut). Pinnacles were cool off the tee because they were rock hard. But ultimately it never made much difference.
The only factors for my dad were that Ultras were cheap and seemed to make it through a round okay. :laugh:

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
That’s the main reason I play with Srixon. They do well in terms of durability.

I saw a titleist study on a par three course where they grouped high medium low handicaps together. I don’t remember the specifics of it, but the main take away is that the higher handicappers increase in performance was greater with a higher quality ball than it was with the lower handicap group.

In other words it actually benefits a higher handicapper more to play a more premium ball.

That study should be taken with a grain of salt because of who performed it, tho.

edit - man, my phone really autocorrected that first version to shit.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
To add to my frugal dad story. Back in the 80s he was using Spalding irons from the 60s. Until he had to stop playing because of a permanent blood clot in his knee about 8 years ago, he was still using the same irons. :laugh:

He only ever replaced the grips. He did buy metal woods eventually, but used wooden woods well into the 90s.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That’s the main reason I play with Srixon. They do well in terms of durability.

I saw a titleist study on a par three course where they grouped high medium low handicaps together. I don’t remember the specifics of it, but the main take away is that the higher handicappers increase in performance performance was greater with a higher quality ball Then it was with the lower handicap or group.

In other words it actually benefits a higher handicap or more to play a more premium ball.

That study should be taken with a grain of salt because of who performed it, tho.
on a par 3, sure.

But I can put it in the woods just as easy with an expensive ball than a cheap on on a par 4/5.

:laugh:

Reactions: VladDrag

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Starting to ramp it up on the range this year. That sucks about Ontario. Thats awful. Golf is like the most socially distance sport you can play.

Side note though, pandemic golf was great. If you could get a time, tracks were wide open, could easily get a round in in under 3 hours.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
To add to my frugal dad story. Back in the 80s he was using Spalding irons from the 60s. Until he had to stop playing because of a permanent blood clot in his knee about 8 years ago, he was still using the same irons. :laugh:

He only ever replaced the grips. He did buy metal woods eventually, but used wooden woods well into the 90s.

I love this. Have a great story. My uncle was playing golf for the first time in the 1970s. Hit a ball on a par 3 to about 5 feet. Course was crowded so there were people all around. The group waiting told him what a great shot it was. One guy asked what club he used. My uncle looked at the bottom of the club and replied, “Sears and Roebuck”.
They thought he was being a wise ass!

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
So some golf news:

I talked about getting new shafts for my irons - well instead I got a new 3 wood, TSI3. I ordered it from a week or two ago. They are saying 4 weeks, but it may be shorter due to the fact that the shaft I want isn't a normal shaft that people order, and that I'm left handed...In other words it may be able to be made faster.

I'm playing Glen Mills tomorrow. Sunday is my bday so I took Friday off and decided to get a round in with some buds. First time playing it - it's supposed to be one of the better public courses in PA. Supposed to be difficult. I'll report back later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->