Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights @ Caps, 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The beauty of the Ovi goal was that MAF was under duress, and had made a few nice saves right before that. He even got a piece of Orrvi's diving backhander IIRC. That was one of those potential game / series / season changing moments.

Either we got the Ovi ES Home first goal (which I swear is important to us is those ways and more), or we got an incredible save by MAF. Ovi said f*** you Fleury and prevailed in scoring the most important goal in his career.

I loved that Schmidt dove late and failed.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If you've been watching this long you know, there has never been a Caps team like this. Not just the statistical fact of having two Cup final wins, but the resilience, the grit, the toughness, the heart, the drive, the determination, the short memory, the "it" factor.

From losing G1 & 2 at home to CBJ and reeling off four straight, to losing game 1 to Pens in a "here we go again" moment but beating them on OT to advance, to blowing a 2-0 road built lead to TB, going down 3-2 then not allowing a goal for 8 periods, to losing G1 of these finals, to the injuries and suspensions, these Caps bounce back like nothing and no one I've ever seen wear the Caps sweater.

Its as if the entire team, collectively but lead without a doubt by Ovi, just said "enough is enough, we're winning the Cup this year" and then set out to let absolutely nothing at all stop them. The Caps have been really unlucky this playoffs, and the Refs have been decidedly "pro Caps opponent" all along. This run isn't fueled by luck. just the opposite. Its fueled by determination.

I get it. I really do. BUT, I’m also a Caps fan (we are one of like 3 remaining fan bases that can put “long suffering” before that)....and I’m extremely superstitious. Unfortunately.

So terms like Jinxes, Hexes, Gooches, etc etc are all very real for me. Put it this way.....I’ve worn the same t-shirt, shorts, and game worn #63 Gordon white 3rd jersey (Andrew, not Boyd) since GM 6 of Tampa. That was after I had to retire the white game worn Nylander #92 bc it lost 2 in a row. (And yes, I’ve cleaned the clothes after each game, LOL).

So....yeah.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Its time to start giving Trotz his props too.

edit: I think how well Vegas handles g4 is open to suggestion. They have plenty of talent and skill. Its just mostly on a single plane of a roster full of 2nd forwards and 3/4 defensemen. They with a chip on their shoulder but lets be honest. No team in the first 3 rounds has pushed them game to game the way the Capitals have. Each game has tilted increasingly toward the Caps.

Vegas needs an early goal to help themselves mentally. If the Caps play scoreless til halfway, that only helps the Caps.

Yes. Was thinking this. Caps scoring first will really tighten the noose. I also like what @Devil Dancer said earlier. Win GM 4 and have that last demon....up 3-1 in a series....to slay.

That said, I really do expect Vegas’ best game on Monday. But it’s all up to MAF. He was amazon most of last night. Repeat that and the GK could sure win the game.

So...I’m Cautiously Cautious. LOL

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I get it. I really do. BUT, I’m also a Caps fan (we are one of like 3 remaining fan bases that can put “long suffering” before that)....and I’m extremely superstitious. Unfortunately.

So terms like Jinxes, Hexes, Gooches, etc etc are all very real for me. Put it this way.....I’ve worn the same t-shirt, shorts, and game work #63 Gordon white 3rd jersey (Andrew, not Boyd) since GM 6 of Tampa. That was after I had to retire the white game work Nylander #92 bc it lost 2 in a row. (And yes, I’ve cleaned the clothes after each game, LOL).

So....yeah.

If you have, and are sporting, an Andrew Gordon jersey, you win the fanatic award going away. :)

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thread needs this.

DTQ5Q2DGZ4I6RAOKXMKFSOWKUY.jpg

I see four Vegan bodies/legs in that frame, all with inside position on their Caps player, two between Ovi and where he wanted to be.

He still scores.

They needed five!

He will NOT be f***ing denied!

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Maybe it was mentioned in this thread but did anyone see late in the game when Wilson was down on the ice being pummeled by 2-3 Knights, and while just trying to get up and skate away the refs moved in to restrain him, and only him?

Did I see that wrong? We've witnessed that crap the last couple of years during the regular season, but in the Final?? With all those cheap shot artists in Vegas taking so many liberties? Come on.

If the refs keep TW from taking a retaliation penalty, thus keeping him on the ice where he's needed most, I'll allow it.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Finally sober enough to complete some sentences.

Thanks to Marchessault for mocking the Caps before the game...please continue

I think the Caps have a big edge over the Nights in playoff experience. The Caps have been through it all, faced a lot of adversity, and know what it takes to win crucial playoff games. This is the 1st time the Nights have been in a true battle together.

Only negative I saw last night besides, the puck clearing flub, was Orlov getting walked once or twice with a #70 bailout.

Chinatown tomorrow? Decisions Decisions

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I know you all are probably tired of me referencing my Philadelphia Eagles fandom, especially since most of you all are Redskins fans, but like I've said there are a lot of similarities. First off, being in a division with historically great franchises with rich histories (DAL, WAS, NYG multiple SBs), Eagles were "ringless" forever and had a lot of heartbreak after very good teams, just like the Capitals (NJ, NYR, NYI, Pitt all have great histories). It definitely gets old hearing that stuff.

The Eagles team this year I knew was special, just the chemistry they had, even when Carson Wentz went down I told my buddy we would be the favorite to win the SB in my mind (just because of the stout defense which no showed in the SB but Brandon Graham with a legendary strip sack made it happen). This Caps team has had someone step up literally every single win in HUGE moments. It's special, its what happens when teams go on championship runs, especially teams that no one believes in. The moments of Kuzy's OT goal, Lars OT goal, OV later GWG, Holtby's save, just to name a few.

I think if this team wins game 4, they will win game 5 in Vegas and complete the road warriors narrative. Ovi will get to raise the cup and I think many of us will shed tears. I feel like I've grown up with the man. I'll never forget watching the Habs embarrass us and going borderline numb in my college dorm. I'll never forget the Stepan goal and being despondent for 15 minutes laying in the floor. Overreactions, sure, but to you all who have been a fan since your childhoods in the 70s, this is a big moment.

I used to have a girlfriend who never understood why I would get so mad after big losses. "It's just a game", yeah it is, but the connection we build to each other and our teams as sports fans make it run deeper. It's an emotional investment, a financial investment, and a personal investment. I really hope they pull this off, they're definitely special, and we all recognize it because we've seen them at their worst as well. Hopefully we just get to watch two more games and everything after that is icing on the cake.

TL;DR

This team is special, and this fan base deserves a championship. The haters won't ever give us credit but that's fine. It doesn't matter when the Stanley Cup has our boys name on it forever.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I know you all are probably tired of me referencing my Philadelphia Eagles fandom, especially since most of you all are Redskins fans, but like I've said there are a lot of similarities. First off, being in a division with historically great franchises with rich histories (DAL, WAS, NYG multiple SBs), Eagles were "ringless" forever and had a lot of heartbreak after very good teams, just like the Capitals (NJ, NYR, NYI, Pitt all have great histories). It definitely gets old hearing that stuff.

The Eagles team this year I knew was special, just the chemistry they had, even when Carson Wentz went down I told my buddy we would be the favorite to win the SB in my mind (just because of the stout defense which no showed in the SB but Brandon Graham with a legendary strip sack made it happen). This Caps team has had someone step up literally every single win in HUGE moments. It's special, its what happens when teams go on championship runs, especially teams that no one believes in. The moments of Kuzy's OT goal, Lars OT goal, OV later GWG, Holtby's save, just to name a few.

I think if this team wins game 4, they will win game 5 in Vegas and complete the road warriors narrative. Ovi will get to raise the cup and I think many of us will shed tears. I feel like I've grown up with the man. I'll never forget watching the Habs embarrass us and going borderline numb in my college dorm. I'll never forget the Stepan goal and being despondent for 15 minutes laying in the floor. Overreactions, sure, but to you all who have been a fan since your childhoods in the 70s, this is a big moment.

I used to have a girlfriend who never understood why I would get so mad after big losses. "It's just a game", yeah it is, but the connection we build to each other and our teams as sports fans make it run deeper. It's an emotional investment, a financial investment, and a personal investment. I really hope they pull this off, they're definitely special, and we all recognize it because we've seen them at their worst as well. Hopefully we just get to watch two more games and everything after that is icing on the cake.

TL;DR

This team is special, and this fan base deserves a championship. The haters won't ever give us credit but that's fine. It doesn't matter when the Stanley Cup has our boys name on it forever.

Agreed

f*** the Iggles

Love you tho bro lol

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
PP looked horrid, Backstrom was sub-par (for Backstrom), Oshie and 9-2 had relatively weak games, played most of the third period with only 5 defensemen, and the Caps still completely controlled the game.

The Caps have this if they just stay the course. If the things mentioned above are cleaned up, it won't be close.

If the PP wakes up, we are gonna roll them

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Finally sober enough to complete some sentences.

Thanks to Marchessault for mocking the Caps before the game...please continue

I think the Caps have a big edge over the Nights in playoff experience. The Caps have been through it all, faced a lot of adversity, and know what it takes to win crucial playoff games. This is the 1st time the Nights have been in a true battle together.

Only negative I saw last night besides, the puck clearing flub, was Orlov getting walked once or twice with a #70 bailout.

Chinatown tomorrow? Decisions Decisions

Yep, agree.

And players are more willing to sacrifice themselves for their friends that they play with for several years even decade than for somebody that you know for 9 months.

Just look at the blocked shots stats. In all 3 games Caps have more blocked shots than Vegas, with a huge gap in G2 and even huger one in G3.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
People keep talking about Oshie having such a bad game - but did anyone notice his defensive/diving play that led to the Kuzy odd man rush/goal?

That was a huge play.

imo, Osh's game was packed with near-extremes. I said lots of wtfs to myself when he'd lose the puck in his skates or make an errant pass. More often I was marveling at his compete level ... diving for pucks, hustling into corners, playing the body. He showed a lot more will than skill, but that's what a team needs to get it done at this time of year, especially if it's got other guys displaying more skill.

What's great about the Caps this year is that almost all the skill guys have bumped up the will. They got this.

Reactions: JenniferH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad