GOATvechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
Well, Crosby and Malkin "choked" away a 1-3 deficit to this very team last season.

But I get what you are saying. Lebron was upstaged by Derrick Rose with a buzzer beater and lost game 3. Lebron came right back with his own buzzer beater to win game 4. Stars need to step up under pressure.

The thing is the Crosby fans that come in here to laugh after every game that he doesn't record a point are clueless. He has played well but Lundqvist has been better.

At the end of the day Ovie has to produce in big games, just like any other super star. Last year in the playoffs Crosby got a lot of criticism for scoring 9 points (one goal, 8 assists) in 13 games. But as fans, we could definitely see that Crosby was hurt. Because his shot was soft, his passes were off, and he just wasn't himself. After the playoffs, he revealed that his wrist was injured. But, nevertheless, he still got his deserved criticism. This year Ovie is producing in a similar fashion scoring 8 points (4 goals, 4 assists) in 13 games. Thus, he deserves criticism for his play too. For a guy who scores 50+ goals in the regular season, the expectations are high for him in the playoffs, and they should be. Yet he only has 4 goals in 13 games. Also, Ovie seems to be fine in terms of health, his shot is still hard and accurate, he is fast, he is creating ... but when all is said, he has to find a way to finish.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yet he only has 4 goals in 13 games.

The interesting thing though is despite having only 4 goals, he still has double the goals of the 2nd and 3rd leading goalscorers of the regular season (Stamkos, Nash). And the same amount as Stamkos + Nash combined.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The interesting thing though is despite having only 4 goals, he still has double the goals of the 2nd and 3rd leading goalscorers of the regular season (Stamkos, Nash). And the same amount as Stamkos + Nash combined.

Well noted great playoff performers..

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Scoring or not, I think OV looks pretty incredible in these playoffs.

Absolutely.

Funny how so many people here think that playing great is exclusively judged by points, even when playing against the elite defenses in significantly reduced-scoring playoff hockey.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
Absolutely.

Funny how so many people here think that playing great is exclusively judged by points, even when playing against the elite defenses in significantly reduced-scoring playoff hockey.

Those are the same people that are not watching the games.

Happens with ever player. Every team.

Hell, its just like reading cover and avoiding what's inside the book. Welcome to human nature.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
No question he is playing well. Defensively he's not stellar, but it is a huge improvement over recent years. He might be pointless in his last 4 games but he's been creating chances, both for himself and others, while the Rangers have been cheating towards him. I thought he played particularly well late in game 6. If he keeps it going he could very well have a great game 7...though on the other hand it's 2015 playoff hockey...not a lot of room out there most of the time.

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
Absolutely.

Looking pretty on the ice doesn't help your team advance to the next round. Yes he has played well, but he has to find a way to produce to help his team advance. Its as simple as that. And yea I know he is facing top elite defenseman this round, but he was average in the first round too when facing the Islanders defense. He is healthy, has a great team around him, has a goalie that's keeping them in games... now its his time to produce. I guess game 7 will tell it all. We shall see.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
If ovechkin loses he's quickly becoming another Dionne. We will see how he performs. Holtby for sure is the caps MVP at this point and I would have Joel ward ahead of ovechkin as well

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
Just some observations. IMO, a weakness in Ovie's game is his refusal to cycle along the boards. When I am watching the game, I rarely see Ovie working along the boards trying to use his big body to defend the puck, and create offense that way. He always comes in from the left side of the rink with speed and tries to cut to the middle of the ice or tries to pass it to someone. On the powerplay he stands there waiting for the one timer, and thus the Rangers have one guy cheating towards him. It becomes pretty predictable and that's why the Rangers are finding it easy to shut him down, both at even strength and on the powerplay. And of course the predictability also helps Lundqvist with making saves on Ovie's shots.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just some observations. IMO, a weakness in Ovie's game is his refusal to cycle along the boards. When I am watching the game, I rarely see Ovie working along the boards trying to use his big body to defend the puck, and create offense that way. He always comes in from the left side of the rink with speed and tries to cut to the middle of the ice or tries to pass it to someone. On the powerplay he stands there waiting for the one timer, and thus the Rangers have one guy cheating towards him. It becomes pretty predictable and that's why the Rangers are finding it easy to shut him down, both at even strength and on the powerplay. And of course the predictability also helps Lundqvist with making saves on Ovie's shots.

Good analysis of the situation, but you're missing a few elements.

Ovechkin is mostly an open ice player, like most Russians. It's not that he refuses to cycle, it's that he knows he isn't very good at protecting the puck along the boards. His line mates Backstrom and Ward have it down to a science. Ward is one of the best grinders in the league and Backstrom is excellent at protecting the puck while waiting for a teammate to get open for a pass.

Ovi needs to add an element of surprise to his game more often. It completely throws off the Rangers when Ovi comes down the right wing. On his 2nd goal of the series, McDonagh was caught flat footed because he didn't think Ovi would go this way. The problem with Ovi is not that he lacks the creativity, is that he doesn't always choose the best option.
My favourite tricks in his arsenal are the fake shot + toe drag combo, or the fake shot + one touch pass.

When Ovi becomes old and his speed decreases, he will have to improve his play along the boards because it will be even harder for him to find open ice.

Now, it would help if Backstrom started playing like he did in the series against the Isles. If Backstrom doesn't get going, play Ovechkin with Kuznetsov.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
It also doesn't help when lundqvist is playing as great as he is. and the rangers top pair has done a really good job defensively on ovi, and he still manages to be a real threat every time he is on the ice. All eyes are on him so if he was scoring double, 8 goals in 13 games, that eould be really impressive considering how good hank is in the playoffs.

The series has been low scoring in all games except the last. Is it really a shock that ovi hasn't been dominant on the scoresheet? He's not invisible, he gets the chances but that only emphasizes how good the goalies have been in this series

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
The Rangers might be the best defense team in the entire league along with the league's best goalie behind them. Ovechkin has looked amazing, pretty much every shift. Hard to blame him for this series going to a game 7.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
lol so now Ovi is the best player in the league? Have you guys forgotten about Carey Price?

:laugh: you do know this thread is about the highlight goal he scored earlier in the series right? and was started by a blue jackets fan...

don't worry. price will get his due.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I have a feeling that Price will sweep all of the trophies he's nominated for.

No. Price sucks. Not even a starter caliber in the playoffs and barely a top-15 goalie in regular season. (this year was a fluke)

I'm mocking you. Since this thread is not about Ovechkin being the best player, as has been pointed out so may times that it actually hurts my brain that you have missed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad