GOATvechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
The Rangers just forced game 7. Ovechkin hasn't scored a goal or a point in the last 4 games. Sorry, but if the Rangers beat Caps there is a lot of blame on Ovechkin. The best player on that team and best goal-scorer in the world needs to put up goals in these important games. He's been good in these playoffs, but the goals need to start coming in.

As for people moaning about the GOATVechkin label on the OP.. :laugh: Come on guys. You all know it wasn't meant as a claim that Ovechkin is Greatets Of All Time. You just want to either pile on Ovechkin or pimp up Crosby. That's really just laughable and makes you look like an idiot.

Gotta agree with everything here. Crosby is unfortunately going through the same thing. Seems like nobody can put it in the net anymore. You'd think the net was wearing a condom or something.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Rangers just forced game 7. Ovechkin hasn't scored a goal or a point in the last 4 games. Sorry, but if the Rangers beat Caps there is a lot of blame on Ovechkin. The best player on that team and best goal-scorer in the world needs to put up goals in these important games. He's been good in these playoffs, but the goals need to start coming in.

As for people moaning about the GOATVechkin label on the OP.. :laugh: Come on guys. You all know it wasn't meant as a claim that Ovechkin is Greatets Of All Time. You just want to either pile on Ovechkin or pimp up Crosby. That's really just laughable and makes you look like an idiot.

Not scoring right now, but the attacks on his play are too harsh. We see it every year, stars don't score in every game, the difference is generally whether or not the rest of the team manages to cover for when you don't score.

Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, those guys all had times where they didn't produce but their teams won anyways. If the Caps won tonight the narrative would be different, like it was for those guys when they won.

Ovechkin has generally been good in the playoffs at almost a ppg in his career. He's struggling now, but no need to diminish what he has done in his career. He still has a chance to make his mark on this series.

Thank you for being honest, TAnnala and Beau Knows. Ovi's had a bad couple of games but let's not deny all the great things he has accomplished in his career. I'm mad at him right now as a Caps fan, but all I want is my team to win. I couldn't care less if Ovi scores or not as long as we win, which is why I wasn't complaining about him prior to today. I bet most Pens fans don't care if Sid scores as long as they win.

People pile on Crosby to pump Ovi's tyres and vice versa. Can't we just appreciate all the great things they do ?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
People pile on Crosby to pump Ovi's tyres and vice versa. Can't we just appreciate all the great things they do ?

I agree with your sentiment, but in this very thread you did the exact same thing.

Seriously, I think some people in this thread (not you, per se) actually love it. They somehow get a jones off coming here and arguing about it this question. I hope to god its that, because if its about revenge for past insults that must be righted that would just be too sad. :laugh:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Oh, have we seen this before...

I think both Ovi and Bäckström needs to deliver in game 7, or these two guys will risk to get a massive label on themselves. If I were them I would feel the panic right now.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Oh, have we seen this before...

I think both Ovi and Bäckström needs to deliver in game 7, or these two guys will risk to get a massive label on themselves. If I were them I would feel the panic right now.

Halak (2010) and Lundqvist (now) in God Mode. What is he suppose to do? He has had breakaway like chances every game and Lundqvist is stoning him.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Halak (2010) and Lundqvist (now) in God Mode. What is he suppose to do? He has had breakaway like chances every game and Lundqvist is stoning him.

It is what it is. There is a huge pressure on the best players in any team. Ovechkin and Backstrom are expected to deliver. Fair or not, if the Rangers beat them in game 7, it's going to leave a mark on their resume and it's not going to be positive mark.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It is what it is. There is a huge pressure on the best players in any team. Ovechkin and Backstrom are expected to deliver. Fair or not, if the Rangers beat them in game 7, it's going to leave a mark on their resume and it's not going to be positive mark.

Well, Crosby and Malkin "choked" away a 1-3 deficit to this very team last season.

But I get what you are saying. Lebron was upstaged by Derrick Rose with a buzzer beater and lost game 3. Lebron came right back with his own buzzer beater to win game 4. Stars need to step up under pressure.

The thing is the Crosby fans that come in here to laugh after every game that he doesn't record a point are clueless. He has played well but Lundqvist has been better.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well, Crosby and Malkin "choked" away a 1-3 deficit to this very team last season.

But I get what you are saying. Lebron was upstaged by Derrick Rose with a buzzer beater and lost game 3. Lebron came right back with his own buzzer beater to win game 4. Stars need to step up under pressure.

The thing is the Crosby fans that come in here to laugh after every game that he doesn't record a point are clueless. He has played well but Lundqvist has been better.

Well, Crosby and Malkin have nothing to do with the success of Backs and Ovechkin. Malkin has a huge mark on his performance this year. Crosby, although he was among the best players of his team, still got eliminated. He's not getting any plus marks either. But it's irrelevant.

If Ovechkin (and Backs) doesn't deliver in game 7, it's bound to bring up questions of his play. As it should. We are talking about a historical talent who has proven that he belongs right among the greatest goal-scorers ever. Dude needs to put up some goals. If he goes without goals for five straight games and his team end's up losing, how can it not be partly on him? Even if he plays well he is not playing well enough.

These things are not completely fair and it's subjective. But yet, there is a certain kind of expectations from players like Ovechkin.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I can't believe I'm saying this about a 50 goal scorer but OV is boring.

Skates up the wing, tries to cut in and rips a shot that hits the defenders skate or stick and gets deflected. 0 creativity in his game this series. Basically a 1 trick pony, and when your best player is a 1 trick pony, well, that can't bode well for you.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver

Skates up the wing, tries to cut in and rips a shot that hits the defenders skate or stick and gets deflected. 0 creativity in his game this series. Basically a 1 trick pony, and when your best player is a 1 trick pony, well, that can't bode well for you.

this is wrong on so many levels

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What is he suppose to do? He has had breakaway like chances every game and Lundqvist is stoning him.

He's supposed to score? At least on one of them chances?

He's not Michael Grabner who can blow 4 breakaways per game and nobody cares. He's 6 time 50+ goal scorer Alexander Ovechkin.

this is wrong on so many levels

What levels? Ovechkin is in fact pretty one-dimensional. He's not terribly one-dimensional, but he's definitely not the most creative player in the history of the game. Even in a myopic perspective. He needs to try to pull another rabbit out of his hat soon. Like game 7, for example. I hope he does.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Because of posters like you. A lot of people have been pointing this out for you for a while now, but for some reason you seem to ignore it.

Guess what ovechkin deserves criticism just like other stars take. Can't take it don't read
The expectations on ovechkin are to light he needs to be criticized

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Guess what ovechkin deserves criticism just like other stars take. Can't take it don't read
The expectations on ovechkin are to light he needs to be criticized

Of course he does. It's just that you don't give criticism. You overly praise Crosby and intentionally bash Ovechkin. It's not meaningful discussion. It's borderline spamming.

Or do you really honestly think that your posting is not unreasonable?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Of course he does. It's just that you don't give criticism. You overly praise Crosby and intentionally bash Ovechkin. It's not meaningful discussion. It's borderline spamming.

Or do you really honestly think that your posting is not unreasonable?

It's a little annoying to see threads like " is crosby finished in the playoffs" after producing over 50% of his teams goals then having a thread titled "GOATvechkin when ovechkin has 8 points in 12 games and has gone pointless 4 straight. I don't hate ovechkin just he needs to face the same standards as Sid that's all

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's a little annoying to see threads like " is crosby finished in the playoffs" after producing over 50% of his teams goals then having a thread titled "GOATvechkin when ovechkin has 8 points in 12 games and has gone pointless 4 straight. I don't hate ovechkin just he needs to face the same standards as Sid that's all

You realize that you are feeding that atmosphere all the time by throwing these one-sided little jabs?

I know, Crosby gets way too much flack on this board. But it will most definitely not stop by trying to annoy Ovechkin fans. Also, this thread (as has been said multiple times already) is not about Ovechkin being "Greatest Of All Time". It's his (rather stupid imo) nickname someone came up and this thread was about the goal he scored. Which was in fact quite a beauty.

Just try to stay objective and reasonable and people will start meaningful conversations with you and the overall atmosphere of Ovechkin/Crosby threads gets better. Cause right now, it's really hard to browse through all the **** and find some actual conversation.

The fact that your one-liners are deleted should be a good indicator about your posting being unreasonable.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010

He is ALWAYS been that way. He has never been a guy who has had a bunch of moves. He's always been just an explosive and fast skater with a great slapshot. If you shut that down he can't do much.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

You're describing Kessel, not Ovechkin.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
If Ovechkin is s one-trick pony (he's not) there would be no chance he would still be scoring at the clip he has been over his career. He has adapted as all superstars are forced to. The hate for stars is bizarre, and I'm far from an Ovechkin/Caps fan.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto
If OV wants to be in the conversation as the best player in the game this is where he needs to prove it. Not in October or on a highlight reel goal.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You're describing Kessel, not Ovechkin.

Kessel and Ovi aren't that different style wise. They're actually pretty similar.

If Ovechkin is s one-trick pony (he's not) there would be no chance he would still be scoring at the clip he has been over his career. He has adapted as all superstars are forced to. The hate for stars is bizarre, and I'm far from an Ovechkin/Caps fan.

A player can be a "one-trick pony" and still score a lot of goals. It's not a contradiction. See Brett Hull.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree with your sentiment, but in this very thread you did the exact same thing.

Seriously, I think some people in this thread (not you, per se) actually love it. They somehow get a jones off coming here and arguing about it this question. I hope to god its that, because if its about revenge for past insults that must be righted that would just be too sad. :laugh:

I said that Ovechkin was playing better than Crosby after the first two games, which was true. Unfortunately, he didn't keep it up :laugh:

Now, I'm in the wrong and I admit it :)

Anyway, this is your time to shine Ovi. No excuses if we lose Wednesday.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Kessel and Ovi aren't that different style wise. They're actually pretty similar.

A player can be a "one-trick pony" and still score a lot of goals. It's not a contradiction. See Brett Hull.

Ovechkin has a far better all around game in my opinion. Also, he has spent far more time as the league's premier goalscorer than Hull in an era where every part of an opponent's game is dissected through film in an attempt to slow the opposition down. He has led the NHL in goals two more times than Hull already. He is great player that can and has scored goals in a number of different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad