HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Hope that young goalie they drafted last year , is a stud...

Or trade for that young guy from Nashville
6 goalies were drafted before the « stud » so i would at least wait to see how he does in the AHL.

agree on the Nashville (or other teams) call though. Thats my favorite option.

pay up and get one.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This thread is inspired by an analogous thread about defensemen:

Montembeault, 27 years old, signed through 2027 at a low price.

Allen, 33 years old, signed through 2025.

Primeau, 24 years old RFA at end of season.

Jakub Dobes, 22 years old and drafted in 2020, struggling in AHL during his D+4.

Jacob Fowler, 2023 draftee, doing well in the NCAA, has the best head of hair in the Habs' farm system.

Quentin Miller, 2023 draftee, struggling in the Q during his D+1.

Yevgheni Volokhin, 2023 drafted, doing well in D+1 in the Rus-MHL, only turns 19 in April.

Reactions: Nevins

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The obvious answer is Allen has to go. The complicated part is what to do with him due to his terrible contract. If there’s no takers on the trade market, they should take their chances on somebody picking him up on waivers and if not, keep him the the AHL where he may be able to help that team.

Reactions: malcb33

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
jacob-fowler-2023-5435.jpg

Fowler and his mane.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I know it isn't the popular opinion but I would have traded Monty - he's not the chosen one and is only gonna make us pick a few spots lower this year...just like he did last year.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The obvious answer is Allen has to go. The complicated part is what to do with him due to his terrible contract. If there’s no takers on the trade market, they should take their chances on somebody picking him up on waivers and if not, keep him the the AHL where he may be able to help that team.

Yeah, i think if anyone really wanted any of the 3, a trade would had happened.

That said, I’d rather trade Allen as well but Monty would probably net us a better return now that he’s been signed.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Jakub Dobes, 22 years old and drafted in 2020, struggling in AHL during his D+4.

Jacob Fowler, 2023 draftee, doing well in the NCAA, has the best head of hair in the Habs' farm system.

Yevgheni Volokhin, 2023 drafted, doing well in D+1 in the Rus-MHL, only turns 19 in April.
shocked-disbelief.gif

How you tell people you just stat watch and don't actually pay attention to what people say who actually watch them without saying that.

Guy plays for one of the worst teams in the Q.

Dude's numbers are way better than Roy's, so the guy is going to be ELITE.

Let's never take other things into consideration, just stats.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, i think if anyone really wanted any of the 3, a trade would had happened.

That said, I’d rather trade Allen as well but Monty would probably net us a better return now that he’s been signed.
Signing a player to a multi year deal and trading them right after without a good reason is a bad look for any future players we’re looking to extend as it shows no loyalty. They’ve committed to Montembault for at least the next few seasons and I’m happy with that. I think Hughes would’ve explored the trade market at the beginning of the season and deemed him more valuable to the team then in a trade.

The Primeau situation is more interesting. I don’t think he has much trade value but if he hit waivers like Montembault did two years ago, I think he’d get taken rather quick. Given the team is willing to run an unconventional 3 goalie rotation tells us they still haven’t made up there mind and it would probably be a mistake to let him go.

Reactions: Nevins

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I know it isn't the popular opinion but I would have traded Monty - he's not the chosen one and is only gonna make us pick a few spots lower this year...just like he did last year.
It depends which way we’re going. If the goal is to tank I would keep and play Allen as a #1. If not and we absolutely need to get rid of a goalie, I’d trade Allen because I want to see more from Primeau.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It is NOT a terrible contract but if no one is willing to take him without retention then put him on waivers. Unless some team is willing to give up a draft pick to exchange a bad contract for Allen.

shocked-disbelief.gif

How you tell people you just stat watch and don't actually pay attention to what people say who actually watch them without saying that.

Guy plays for one of the worst teams in the Q.

Dude's numbers are way better than Roy's, so the guy is going to be ELITE.

Let's never take other things into consideration, just stats.
One of the worst teams. The Remparts are absolute crap.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Signing a player to a multi year deal and trading them right after without a good reason is a bad look for any future players we’re looking to extend as it shows no loyalty. They’ve committed to Montembault for at least the next few seasons and I’m happy with that. I think Hughes would’ve explored the trade market at the beginning of the season and deemed him more valuable to the team then in a trade.

The Primeau situation is more interesting. I don’t think he has much trade value but if he hit waivers like Montembault did two years ago, I think he’d get taken rather quick. Given the team is willing to run an unconventional 3 goalie rotation tells us they still haven’t made up there mind and it would probably be a mistake to let him go.
Not saying it’s a good look. Just strictly talking value.

I’m indifferent for all three to be honest. I could care less who they move so long as they move somebody. This 3-goalie tandem is terrible. However, I don’t think there’s much interest in Allen. Maybe next season when he’s down to his last year.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
It depends which way we’re going. If the goal is to tank I would keep and play Allen as a #1. If not and we absolutely need to get rid of a goalie, I’d trade Allen because I want to see more from Primeau.
I don’t think we have the stars to compete when they all develop. Unless they hit a jackpot, will be hard to get that star picking 14th or mid pack like we are trending.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Montembault, Allen both have to go

That is nonsensical...and I am being polite.

Montembault is only 27 and is a legitimate starting goalie who would be raved about if he had a strong team in front of him. Most of the posters on this site just don't understand that goalies typically blossom between 25 and 28 which is why it is typically dumb to waste high picks on them.

Trading Montembault for a meager return would just be plain dumb

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
That is nonsensical...and I am being polite.

Montembault is only 27 and is a legitimate starting goalie who would be raved about if he had a strong team in front of him. Most of the posters on this site just don't understand that goalies typically blossom between 25 and 28 which is why it is typically dumb to waste high picks on them.

Trading Montembault for a meager return would just be plain dumb
💯 %

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

Miller is the only reason Quebec is actually winning some games. If he doesn't have a stellar performance, they just lose and even when he does, they often lose.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Miller is FAR from struggling

Reactions: Tyson

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Miller is the only reason Quebec is actually winning some games. If he doesn't have a stellar performance, they just lose and even when he does, they often lose.
Saw he is has been pulled a few times already. If the bad team vs good teams numbers is a thing, what does it say about Fowler who is playing in front of an all-star team? Is he only good because of the good team factor?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Saw he is has been pulled a few times already. If the bad team vs good teams numbers is a thing, what does it say about Fowler who is playing in front of an all-star team? Is he only good because of the good team factor?

Try watching his games - Montreal posts videos.. you can see that Fowler is part of the reason why that team is so good.

Surely this goalie amounted to nothing

1702571630322.png

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Try watching his games - Montreal posts videos.. you can see that Fowler is part of the reason why that team is so good.

Surely this goalie amounted to nothing

View attachment 783355
Good team: the goalie is part of the reason why the team is good. Gauthier, full line of early picks Smith, Leonard, Perrault.
Bad team: the goalie has little to do with their record.

Not gonna watch ncaa games.
Not gonna watch Swiss league.

3 goalies drafted by Mtl were drafted 6th, 10th and 13th of their class. lets not get crazy 5 months later they are not 1-2-3…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad