HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Would you retain half on Allen to move him now? Allen be good veteran backup for a Cup contending team.

Goalies need to play. We have to see what we have in Montembeault and Primeau.

It's too late to move Allen at deadline.

Reactions: BLONG7

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
An interesting fact is that our team sv% is at its highest since 2016-2017. Maybe playing three goalies is the way to go. Baseball went through a similar evolution of reducing innings pitched for starting pitchers to maximize in-game benefits and reduce injuries. I wonder if playing 25/30 games is an ideal number for performance. I suppose some analytics type will look into this.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
An interesting fact is that our team sv% is at its highest since 2016-2017. Maybe playing three goalies is the way to go. Baseball went through a similar evolution of reducing innings pitched for starting pitchers to maximize in-game benefits and reduce injuries. I wonder if playing 25/30 games is an ideal number for performance. I suppose some analytics type will look into this.
I would love to see the NHL expand a third goalie spot to help more goalies make it and get their chance. It would be better for the game and it would be a great way to develop top prospects without overloading them. But we probably need that spot for a skater right now so without that league wide change I'm in favour of dealing one of them

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would love to see the NHL expand a third goalie spot to help more goalies make it and get their chance. It would be better for the game and it would be a great way to develop top prospects without overloading them. But we probably need that spot for a skater right now so without that league wide change I'm in favour of dealing one of them

First step would be to adjust the goalies waiver eligibility from 3 years to 5.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Primeau looks weak mentally, I wouldn't trust him to be a #1.

Reactions: nicehiss

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Primeau's worst performance this year (3rd period). He gave at least 3-4 bad goals...I liked his performances this year but he just reminded us that he will never be more than a second inconsistent goalie

Reactions: nicehiss

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Habs are trying to trade one of Allen/Monty and that is why we cannot risk to lose Primeau on waivers claim, because we will need a backup. I am not sure if this whole waiting strategy is worth it as we will probably just get a 3rd round pick for or goalie anyway.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Monty is a good goalie for his contract. He should be the one we keep. Primeau can get lost on waivers I’ve never liked his game. Unless they plan to tank again for a high draft pick that will make us all disappointed again then play Primeau every game.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Nobody is considering the fact Montreal might trade both Allen and Primeau (not in the same deal) and acquire a cheaper vet to backup Monty but I could see that happening.

Even Campbell (with major retention) would suffice as a backup for our rebuilding team.

Fowler is the future here.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Nobody is considering the fact Montreal might trade both Allen and Primeau (not in the same deal) and acquire a cheaper vet to backup Monty but I could see that happening.

Even Campbell (with major retention) would suffice as a backup for our rebuilding team.

Fowler is the future here.

Agreed... Though with oilers heating up, not sure Holland will pay the premium to dump that contract to make it worthwhile.

Fowler, Volohkin & Miller definitely give us some decent hope of 1 of them trending towards NHL #1 by '27-'28

Reactions: Cournoyer12

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Montembeault isn't a #1 goalie on a good team. He's a stop gap. Similar to Allen. Primeau won't be a #1 either. We don't have a potential #1 goaltender on the Habs right now. That is a pressing need that must be filled by either our young prospects (Dobes, Fowler, Miller, Volokhin) or from outside the org.

Don't kid yourselves with Montembeault. He's a part time starter. Not a 1# you lock up long term. I have no problem with the deal at 3 years assuming we find our true #1 within that time frame. If the "answer" is Montembeault, we're in trouble.

Last edited:

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I can't say he's a future no1, but last night wasn't too concerning. He got beat in the same spot during one game.... not all games he played, which mean that he was having a bad night or is positioning was off. this is fixable.

This year, compare to last, he improved his positioning so much, he's nhl ready, he need to play more. he can be a decent back up for now for sure.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I can't say he's a future no1, but last night wasn't too concerning. He got beat in the same spot during one game.... not all games he played, which mean that he was having a bad night or is positioning was off. this is fixable.

This year, compare to last, he improved his positioning so much, he's nhl ready, he need to play more. he can be a decent back up for now for sure.

I do believe he can be a NHL goalie but I really don't see a #1 in him. I wouldn't mind going forward with a Montambeault/Primeau duo until one of the younglings becomes ready.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
That's the point though. Every year that passes where he does not get truly tested prevents the management from making a decision with him.

Send Allen to the AHL and let Primeau play in a bust season to see what he's got. If Allen gets picked up, everybody is happy of getting rid of the salary for free at this point. If not, then at least you can give Primeau a good 30 NHL games this year to really evaluate his potential.

Reactions: montreal

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Would you retain half on Allen to move him now? Allen be good veteran backup for a Cup contending team.

Goalies need to play. We have to see what we have in Montembeault and Primeau.

It's too late to move Allen at deadline.
I'm not sure we want to spend a retention slot on Allen. Next year we have Dvorak and Savard as pending UFAs who could likely get a good return if we retain 50% then what Allen can get right now so I'd personally rather save my slots for those two guys.

If dealing Allen the ideal would be to take back a bad contract rather then a retention spot.

But I also don't think it's clear cut that we want to move Allen. There's the risk that if we roll with Montembeault/Primeau and then Primeau struggles, it will lead to us overplaying Montembeault which in turn causes him to struggle and we end up with that new deal on a goalie whose lost his confidence. I'm not sure it's worth the risk given that I don't think Primeau is likely to end up more then a 1B. That said it of course depends on what was actually on the table for Allen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad