Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Cayden Primeau
Jakub Dobes
Joe Vrbetic
Michael McNiven
Frederik Dichow

All the talk about the Habs farm system is the depth on defense. There's lots of questions about just what they have in net since all are later round picks for undrafted FA. The Habs have a history of excellent goalies, but who knows what this group will come to.

It was a good week for the group though, as Primeau won his 1st start, made a big save to keep it close before the Habs blew it open. Dobes may be taking over the starting goalie at Ohio St. He didn't start the season opener, he had a good game in his debut, didn't start the next game but came in early in the 2nd after the starter gave up 3, he didn't give up a goal and today he got his first career SO. So he's given up just 1 goal in just under 160 mins on a bottom team (voted to come in last in the Big 10 in the preseason coaches poll). Vrbetic has been back to back 2nd star of the game giving up just 3 goals over the 2. Dichow got his first win in Allsvenskan.

Vrbetic and Dobes are really interesting imo, ones to keep an eye on

Reactions: Gyfu

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The Habs haven't drafted a goaltender to play many NHL games since...Carey Price in 2005. In fairness, they haven't chosen many but that is a long time.

Some info from opening rosters 2021-22 on NHL goaltenders:

average age: 29
average ht: 6.02.5
average wt: 199 lbs

where they were drafted:

1st: 9 players
2nd: 13
3rd: 15
4th: 9
5th: 6
6th: 3
7th+: 4
original free agents: 10

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think this is a position where our gm (or the next one) will have to do gymnastics to get a good one by trade or ufa agents, as usual. I don't know about those names except McNiven sucks and Primeau isn't showing to be that promising. How can I trust our scouting chief who drafted Fisher, McCarron and Tinordi? The same who never drafted a legit centerman in 18 years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think this is a position where our gm (or the next one) will have to do gymnastics to get a good one by trade or ufa agents, as usual. I don't know about those names except McNiven sucks and Primeau isn't showing to be that promising. How can I trust our scouting chief who drafted Fisher, McCarron and Tinordi? The same who never drafted a legit centerman in 18 years.

well I doubt anyone is worried about if you can trust Timmins or not. But this is a discussion about the goalie prospects, not Timmins as there's a thread for that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nice to see Vrbetic actually get support these days. Really fell down his draft year due to the misfortune of playing for a historically bad team.

Reactions: Sagikev

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Fun fact: for the past 10 years and I think all but 3-4 times since the 05 lockout, teams that have won the cup have either drafted or developed their goalie. Teams that go for Ufa/trade for goalies don't win at all besides the very very rare case

Reactions: Chili

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nice to see Vrbetic actually get support these days. Really fell down his draft year due to the misfortune of playing for a historically bad team.

you had to figure some teams were going to uncover some gems from the OHL not playing last year. Either by sheer luck or scouts who maybe had an inside on who was working out hard etc... or just like perhaps in the case of Vrbetic was overlooked due to being on a shit team.

I only saw the one game so far but I was impressed as the 3 goals he's given up in the last 2 games, I believe at least 2 were on the PP and his D were at fault. He's freaking huge in net though.

on a side note so is the sabers pick that's playing for Michigan, man did he look good against a tough UMD team. He's 6'6 as well as Vrbetic but just looked so damn tall.

Jimmy3322

Oct 16, 2021
Goalie prospects don't matter in our system, they are never given an opportunity to play, then we blame them for not becoming anything,

Well, give them a chance, and they might become something,

Stop acquiring more goalies like niemi, Montoya, allen, scrivens, montebooo, etc etc,

Give the kids a chance to play, and they might pan out

Who really believes montebooo is any better than primeau or mcnevin?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Goalie prospects don't matter in our system, they are never given an opportunity to play, then we blame them for not becoming anything,

Stop acquiring more goalies like niemi, Montoya, allen, scrivens, montebooo, etc etc,

That's the thing, the habs have no intention of playing Montembeault except if there's a back-to-back, so those goalies won't get a chance to play.

Reactions: Big Lurk

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

ok Mark9988, we heard you the last time. Try thinking it over slowly, it might sink in. It's not about if Primeau or McNiven are better, it's about what's better for their development right now, something MB has been terrible at but might actually finally be figuring it out. You don't want to rush prospects to the NHL, it has burned the Habs over and over and over during MB's tenure. Primeau has one seasons worth of AHL games under his belt, he can get in a bunch of games this year and still not need waivers next year so they can take their time with him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Good to see Dobes succeed in the NCAA. And it all points to him earning the starter's job.

- Dichow is on the worst team in Allsvenskan, but he has taken the starters job, which is a good thing. Out of 7 games Kristianstads, Dichow has started in 5 of them.

- Vrbetic is off to a good start.

- Primeau's looked good so far. In the season opener, he was great. He also came in relief last night.

- McNiven last night was pulled. So not the best first game for him. But he's proven to be a good back up in Laval.

Also, Dobes and Vrbetic each have an assist.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Fun fact: for the past 10 years and I think all but 3-4 times since the 05 lockout, teams that have won the cup have either drafted or developed their goalie. Teams that go for Ufa/trade for goalies don't win at all besides the very very rare case
Interesting point. I've noticed too, goaltender's careers for the most part have gone downhill after long playoff runs. Rask, Holtby, Binnington, Murray, Crawford, Bishop, Lundqvist, Thomas, Luongo especially Jonathan Quick. Fleury is an exception but Murray was important in the Pens last two cup wins. And now Price.

With the wear and tear these days, teams need goaltending depth. Habs have placed a low priority on the position since drafting Price (only higher draft pick was Fucale), preferring to scrounge around the league for depth. Good teams seem to plan ahead because for the most part it takes longer to develop a goaltender (i.e. the average age of 29 is about two years older then the average player).

Reactions: montreal

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
The Habs haven't drafted a goaltender to play many NHL games since...Carey Price in 2005. In fairness, they haven't chosen many but that is a long time.

Some info from opening rosters 2021-22 on NHL goaltenders:

average age: 29
average ht: 6.02.5
average wt: 199 lbs

where they were drafted:

1st: 9 players
2nd: 13
3rd: 15
4th: 9
5th: 6
6th: 3
7th+: 4
original free agents: 10
Even though he didn't pan out, Fucale was drafted in hopes that he would play in the NHL

Reactions: montreal

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Play 1 NHL game every 2 weeks or play 2-3 AHL games per week?

Primeau needs to play a lot of games.
It's not all or nothing. Primeau is waiver-exempt and can be called up for one day every two weeks to play a game, no problem.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have not been a fan of Primeau but he was technically very good in the first game of the season. His lateral movement and rebound control stood out to me.
One full year in Laval with an occasional call up to play a game here and there is something I would like to see.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Even though he didn't pan out, Fucale was drafted in hopes that he would play in the NHL
I'm sure they had hopes but seems like they turned the page pretty quickly. Looking at the Pens, they had Fleury and Murray and Jarry developing. Now they have two kids they drafted higher plus a highly rated college prospect they signed last summer. The Caps have 5 goaltenders they drafted playing in the NHL. Two consistently successful teams that have prioritized depth in net. Seems like most teams in the league are getting the message now of the importance of depth at the position.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Colorado and Roy? LMFAO

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

He is not, but you have to be very careful with young goaltenders, thats the toughest position to develop and playing for a crappy team like the Habs could really hurt Primeau's confidence... Take a look at Hart last year, he went from being one of the most promising young goaltenders in the making to being constantly bashed, his confidence level was at 0 last year.

Nothing wrong with giving Primeau another full year with Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad