HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
With Primeau doing well recently, Fowler having a great season, Dobes improving in Laval and Volokhin doing amazing in the NHL Habs have a great dilemma in nets.

How would y'all rank them in terms of potential (including Montembault ofc) ?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With Primeau doing well recently, Fowler having a great season, Dobes improving in Laval and Volokhin doing amazing in the NHL Habs have a great dilemma in nets.

Volokhin
Fowler
Dobes
Montembeault
Primeau
Miller
Croteau

Volokhin has the highest upside but may not reach it or ever come over
Fowler upside isn't as high as Volokhin but he has the highest floor of the prospect
Dobes could be better than Fowler if he meets his potential but the floor is AHL lifer
Montembeault is a platoon level 1, not much left to see from him
Primeau is a back-up level goalie
Miller could achieve Primeau heights but is more like back-up potential
Croteau won't get signed by us

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

No dilemna. Look back at the 1st page from 3 years ago - only 1 out of the 5 goalies made it during that timeframe, and at 24, Primeau is still establishing what he is.

In 3 years Montembeault's new contract will be expiring. Time to gather more info on Fowler/Volohkin/Miller and for them to turn pro in whatever league they play. Volohkin being in Russia makes it easy to not overcrowd Laval's net.

The only tricky situation might be what to do with Dobes (and Primeau), but my guess is that Dobes and Fowler go AHL, Miller toes ECHL and Volohkin turns pro in Russia.

You see it all around the league, goalie injuries happen frequently and a quality waiver exempt you third wheel isn't a luxury.

Reactions: Redux91 and Guess

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Volokhin
Fowler
Dobes
Montembeault
Primeau
Miller
Croteau

Fowler upside isn't as high as Volokhin but he has the highest floor of the prospect
Dobes could be better than Fowler if he meets his potential but the floor is AHL lifer
Wow. Volokhin is that good eh? Have to admit I haven’t watched much of our goalie highlights except some Dobes

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

This echos what some of you have been saying here.

I really hope Volokhin takes the next step and plays in the VHL next year.

We were all perplexed when Habs took 3 goalies this past draft. But a year later, we can see that they took 3 real good ones, with 2 of them (Fowler and Volokhin) dominating at their level.

They took 11 players in 2022. They took 9 in 2023. They have 24 draft picks in 2024 and 2025. So at some point, it makes sense they used a few picks to deepen their goalie prospect pool, even if it was in the same draft. They could afford to do that.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

We were all perplexed when Habs took 3 goalies this past draft. But a year later, we can see that they took 3 real good ones, with 2 of them (Fowler and Volokhin) dominating at their level.

They took 11 players in 2022. They took 9 in 2023. They have 24 draft picks in 2024 and 2025. So at some point, it makes sense they used a few picks to deepen their goalie prospect pool, even if it was in the same draft. They could afford to do that.
Smart post.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The logic didn't elude me given odds two of the three may crash and burn, Cashing on two of them would be a huge boon.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Volokhin
Fowler
Dobes
Montembeault
Primeau
Miller
Croteau

Monty must be feeling very proud. He's come a long way in your estimation.
Dobes is hard for me to read. Great size great athleticism but he's so unorthodox.
I find myself doing double takes "did he just do that?"
One thing I do like is he's quieter in his crease than when I first saw him.
He still throws himself at pucks on occasion but I have to admit he usually stops them. :laugh:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

This echos what some of you have been saying here.

And the best part is already having Monty, Preems and Dobeshhh to stop gap the party for a little bit while 'the real future' can marinate a bit more without having to rush any of them + maybe draft another

I don't know if it's Gorton himself or someone he brings with him every org. But SOMEONE has the Goalie Eye, and now they work for us lol

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I'm pretty sure Volokhin will sign at least another contract before moving to NA. Have we ever seen a 20 years old Russian goalie make the move to NA?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
According to Baldy, there's a decent chance that Fowler will leave BC after the season and play 60 games in Laval next year.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
According to Baldy, there's a decent chance that Fowler will leave BC after the season and play 60 games in Laval next year.

I don't think that will happen - at all.

1. They aren't going to rush a goaltending prospect.
2. They like what they have in Dobes and they aren't going to play him the back-up duty.

The most likely scenario is that Fowler will go back to college for year 2, Dobes will continue to start for Laval in the AHL, we will have Primeau/Monty in the NHL, sign a veteran 3rd goalie to a NHL deal like a Hutchinson so Dobes can play uninterrupted down in the AHL.

The following year Fowler will come, split with Dobes as he starts to get NHL starts for call-ups, etc. and the Habs can move out Primeau or Monty at that point to bring Dobes up, allow Fowler to transition to starter in Laval and Volokhin will be ready to come in behind him.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I don't think that will happen - at all.

1. They aren't going to rush a goaltending prospect.
2. They like what they have in Dobes and they aren't going to play him the back-up duty.

The most likely scenario is that Fowler will go back to college for year 2, Dobes will continue to start for Laval in the AHL, we will have Primeau/Monty in the NHL, sign a veteran 3rd goalie to a NHL deal like a Hutchinson so Dobes can play uninterrupted down in the AHL.

The following year Fowler will come, split with Dobes as he starts to get NHL starts for call-ups, etc. and the Habs can move out Primeau or Monty at that point to bring Dobes up, allow Fowler to transition to starter in Laval and Volokhin will be ready to come in behind him.
This is pretty much how it will play out

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm just the messenger . . . but I do think they view Fowler much more highly.

Maybe you right. In my mind, they view Dobes, Fowler and Volokhin in the same category of potential. Dobes is very very good aswell and he have great stats since 2 months aswell. I'm high on all of them.

Who will be better?!?! That's a another question, but at this moment, they all have high potential.

JT3

May 27, 2013
McGuire said that's what he would do as he's very high on Fowler, however highly doubt that happens. Can't see them rushing him to the AHL when Montembeault/Primeau/Dobes all need game time.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The goal next year should be to sign a goalie to an NHL contract to play in Laval. That way, if an injury occurs in Montreal, you're not forced to call Dobes up. He can stay in Laval because you have another goalie on an NHL deal you can call up instead.

Technically, if they sign a goalie to an AHL deal, it doesn't stop them from signing them to an NHL deal at some point in the year to call him. Similar to how they signed Gignac to an NHL deal to call him up.

But signing a goalie to an NHL deal off the bat avoids having to do that in the middle of the year.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The goal next year should be to sign a goalie to an NHL contract to play in Laval. That way, if an injury occurs in Montreal, you're not forced to call Dobes up. He can stay in Laval because you have another goalie on an NHL deal you can call up instead.

Technically, if they sign a goalie to an AHL deal, it doesn't stop them from signing them to an NHL deal at some point in the year to call him. Similar to how they signed Gignac to an NHL deal to call him up.

Yes, a Hutchinson or a Dell

Reactions: Adam Michaels

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pierre McGuire thinks we should bring Jacob Fowler to Laval next year and have him play 60 games. Says he's ready and doesn't have much to learn in the NCAA. Interesting take.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's a bad take, even top prospects like Askarov and Wallstedt needed more seasoning than that.
Yeah, it's totally outside of the norm. Goalies take a long time to develop. That's why I thought it was an interesting take. Whatever the norm is is irrelevant when discussing an individual. It's not the norm for a 2nd round pick to jump into the NHL the fall after they were drafted. But that doesn't mean Patrice Bergeron wasn't ready to.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad