What does MB do with #3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't mind if they take Kotkaniemi, but they have to move down 2-3 spots to maximize asset value. Would be insane to take him at #3
Seriously f*** that shit! Grab a 6'2" center #3 and we've got plenty of justifications for the reach. Enough with the recruiter religion already.

They won't be able to trade for a center or sign one from UFA... That's the only choice, either you think Tkabust or Bustrom can play center better or you pick the best center and that's all. If I was the boss, the GM would lose his job if he didn't find a good long term solution from this draft. Cats only get 9 lives.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
He should be drafting somebody able to put it in the net like Zadina, but he's going to go for character. He can't help himself.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would be livid with Tkachuk. Doesn't have the goalscoring ability or the offensive talent. Also, his play won't last long in the NHL.

10 years ago, he’d be a consensus #2 pick. Now he’s a top 10 player. League has shifted to more skill and goal scoring. We need to adapt to that new standard.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
10 years ago, he’d be a consensus #2 pick. Now he’s a top 10 player. League has shifted to more skill and goal scoring. We need to adapt to that new standard.

who from recent (last 5?) draft years top 10 picks would he compare best to?

i haven't seen him play at all, curious b/c people seem to have very strong opinions on his limited upside/skill... but he remains consensus top4-5 despite it on account of all the other aspects of his game/personality.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Does he have the right attidude though?
Does Tkachuk? I know that Zadina wanted to play really badly after the WJ but he was forced to rest so he went and helped packing up bags and whatnot. That there was a storm and he begged the coaches to take him to the rink to practice.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
who from recent (last 5?) draft years top 10 picks would he compare best to?

i haven't seen him play at all, curious b/c people seem to have very strong opinions on his limited upside/skill... but he remains consensus top4-5 despite it on account of all the other aspects of his game/personality.

It’s jot an indictment on him. It how the game has changed. There’s far less of a premium in size than there is on skill. His big frame and skill set would have been super desirable at a time when teams were building towards the LA/Anaheim/Boston Bruins model of big bodies who bang you up. Now the league is far more into speed and skill and don’t mind a smaller player because of the attention hooking and obstruction gets now to open up the game. Reminds of when we came out of the lockout and Gainey assembled a small, skilled team that was competitive with the new rules only to have them revert back to their old ways of officiating.

Today’s game, a skilled sniper like Zadina or Svetchnikov has more premium than a big body like Tkachuk, at least to the ones who have the newer mindset. The old school thinkers want that physicality. Neither is wrong over time but the pendulum is definitely on one side over the other right now, though things have a way of changing in short order.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He should be drafting somebody able to put it in the net like Zadina, but he's going to go for character. He can't help himself.
So we can enjoy watching Zadina play with 4th line centers for most of his career and complain about it, right.

This is so exciting, i've started doing it early :laugh:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He will pick the guy that Timmins and his staff want. That guy will end up being the 4th or 5th best player to come from this draft. When he slumps just a bit hfboards will go nuts and he will become useless and our scouting and development will be useless also and that player will be blamed for Bergevin's pants.

Reactions: scrubadam

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It’s jot an indictment on him. It how the game has changed. There’s far less of a premium in size than there is on skill. His big frame and skill set would have been super desirable at a time when teams were building towards the LA/Anaheim/Boston Bruins model of big bodies who bang you up. Now the league is far more into speed and skill and don’t mind a smaller player because of the attention hooking and obstruction gets now to open up the game. Reminds of when we came out of the lockout and Gainey assembled a small, skilled team that was competitive with the new rules only to have them revert back to their old ways of officiating.

Today’s game, a skilled sniper like Zadina or Svetchnikov has more premium than a big body like Tkachuk, at least to the ones who have the newer mindset. The old school thinkers want that physicality. Neither is wrong over time but the pendulum is definitely on one side over the other right now, though things have a way of changing in short order.

i'm just more curious about comparables from someone who has seen him play, since I haven't.

premium for us needs to be on landing an elite player (top line/top pairing), i'm not picky as to what their main assets are beyond that they develop into an impact, elite level player.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
i'm just more curious about comparables from someone who has seen him play, since I haven't.

premium for us needs to be on landing an elite player (top line/top pairing), i'm not picky as to what their main assets are beyond that they develop into an impact, elite level player.

Mathew Tkachuk would be the best example. Other than that I’d say Kessler, though not a centre. Maybe a Simmonds though I don’t think Tkachuk’s hands are that good, he LOVES being physical. He’s a train that moves north south with reckless abandon and tries to hit everything along the way. Not afraid to battle in front of the net and dig in the corners. That’s the impression I got watching him play.

He’s an excellent prospect, just nowhere near as skilled and as adept at putting the puck in the net like Zadina and Svetchnikov are.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have openly scoffed at the idea of John Tavares signing in Montreal. But with a guy like Bob McKenzie saying today, (only hours ago) that he doesn't think Tavares is re-signing in Long Island, than you have to think the Habs will be backing up the Brinks-mobile, to give him a truck load of money. A franchise center as a UFA? The Habs will chasing hard.

I don't think money is what is going to be the deciding factor for Tavares. I suspect almost every team will be coming in at the same price or similar. It's the other factors and those are personal to the player. I don't see it happening but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad