Go on record: what does MB do with #3?

What does MB do with #3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I don't think money is what is going to be the deciding factor for Tavares. I suspect almost every team will be coming in at the same price or similar. It's the other factors and those are personal to the player. I don't see it happening but I could be wrong.

Yeah that's why Marleau signed in Toronto, to win the cup. It's just a shame for him that San Jose is still playing. In my opinion the chance to win the cup factors very little in a players choice of team. The parity is real honestly, I know it's a joke for everybody but if it meant that much why didn't Marleau sign a one million dollar deal with the Penguins.

Things that matter to a UFA in my humble opinion in order of importance:

Money ( which does factor in taxes)
Location ( which does factor in whether the family of the player will adapt there)
Team ( which does factor in the fact of does this team have the attributes and culture/management/ coaches to the least extent because they come and go - I am looking for )

Things that don't matter to a UFA in order of mattering the least

Friends on the team ( the stamkos and subban relationship etc.)

Ability to win the cup ( again if this is so important why aren't they taking massive discounts to join powerhouse teams, then you ask why aren't they joining Buffalo? Location. Why does Florida still attract them? Location)

Hometown ( I really don't think this matters that too them )

Just my opinion not setting this in stone or anything. But the bottom line is always..... Money.

Reactions: Laurentide

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
People shitting on Tkachuk are out to lunch. I would take the kid 10/10 times over Zadina. He played NCAA as a 17 year old and dominated, then he dominated the WJC unlike Zadina. I don't get it.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah that's why Marleau signed in Toronto, to win the cup. It's just a shame for him that San Jose is still playing. In my opinion the chance to win the cup factors very little in a players choice of team. The parity is real honestly, I know it's a joke for everybody but if it meant that much why didn't Marleau sign a one million dollar deal with the Penguins.

Location ( which does factor in whether the family of the player will adapt there)
Team ( which does factor in the fact of does this team have the attributes and culture/management/ coaches to the least extent because they come and go - I am looking for )

Ability to win the cup ( again if this is so important why aren't they taking massive discounts to join powerhouse teams, then you ask why aren't they joining Buffalo? Location. Why does Florida still attract them? Location)

Just my opinion not setting this in stone or anything. But the bottom line is always..... Money.
In Marleau's case, he's an aging vet who has already made most of his money. He's at the stage where he can afford to choose a new team based on factors other than money. But when he was in his prime earning years things like having the best shot at winning a Cup or his legacy or playing for his hometown team or any other crap like that was taking a back seat to the money. In the end, this is a business. Hockey isn't a game that these guys play; it's their job. And like any job you want to work for whichever company pays you the most. That is especially true in a profession where your career lasts a decade if you're lucky and you only make really big money for about half that time. Money always wins.

Tavares' next contract is going to be the biggest and most lucrative one he's ever going to get. He's never going to be a UFA at his current age and ability ever again. So you'd better believe he's going to be looking to max out. That's the one thing the Habs have going for them in this case: the fact that Tavares ultimately doesn't care who pays him as long as he gets paid the max. He can worry about winning Cups or cementing his legacy 8 years from now when he's mopping up what's left of his career. This is the contract he needs to make hay on.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
In Marleau's case, he's an aging vet who has already made most of his money. He's at the stage where he can afford to choose a new team based on factors other than money. But when he was in his prime earning years things like having the best shot at winning a Cup or his legacy or playing for his hometown team or any other crap like that was taking a back seat to the money. In the end, this is a business. Hockey isn't a game that these guys play; it's their job. And like any job you want to work for whichever company pays you the most. That is especially true in a profession where your career lasts a decade if you're lucky and you only make really big money for about half that time. Money always wins.

Tavares' next contract is going to be the biggest and most lucrative one he's ever going to get. He's never going to be a UFA at his current age and ability ever again. So you'd better believe he's going to be looking to max out. That's the one thing the Habs have going for them in this case: the fact that Tavares ultimately doesn't care who pays him as long as he gets paid the max. He can worry about winning Cups or cementing his legacy 8 years from now when he's mopping up what's left of his career. This is the contract he needs to make hay on.

This is it. It's all money. As you said his agent will be looking for the deal that pay's him the most for the longest amount of time possible. After this deal nothing will be guaranteed for Tavares. Aside from the money, as I said, it will be "can I live in this country, state, province, city for the next however many years." He will not consider whether he has friends and finally he will give a pico-portion of thought towards the players on the team and the coach and managment, over the length of his contract the players coaches etc. are HIGHLY likely too change. You don't sign somewhere because Weber is playing on the team. This would be extremely stupid decision making as Weber could get traded within a year, hurt himself and never play again or simply retire, the same goes with any player or coach, they could be here today but gone tommorow.

It's money and location. This is a job.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People ****ting on Tkachuk are out to lunch. I would take the kid 10/10 times over Zadina. He played NCAA as a 17 year old and dominated, then he dominated the WJC unlike Zadina. I don't get it.

Lol Tkachuk didn't dominate the NCAA he was quiet as a f***ing church mouse when the games got hard and he wasn't playing scrub schools.

Undrafted Khodorenko who is almost the same age as Brady had more goddamn points.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

I also liked your Marleau example. For his prime it was all money. And even going off my theory when he signed with Toronto make no mistake, first it was the money which was most likely his market value, followed by the term and then followed by can I live in Toronto for 2 years in what I call the bonus years of his career (nearly 40yrs). Marleau had just as good of a chance to win the Cup on a few teams he could of signed with I'm sure. But they probably didn't offer him what Toronto did as far as term and money. The fact that Toronto is considered a contender now was also a bonus for him.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I also liked your Marleau example. For his prime it was all money. And even going off my theory when he signed with Toronto make no mistake, first it was the money which was most likely his market value, followed by the term and then followed by can I live in Toronto for 2 years in what I call the bonus years of his career (nearly 40yrs). Marleau had just as good of a chance to win the Cup on a few teams he could of signed with I'm sure. But they probably didn't offer him what Toronto did as far as term and money. The fact that Toronto is considered a contender now was also a bonus for him.
Exactly.

Alzner is from BC. You think he wouldn't like to be making a 7 figure salary and living in Vancouver? Sure he would. But the Canucks weren't insane enough to offer him the money and term that the Habs did so he's a Hab.

Reactions: HBDay

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Hughes won't work with the Habs. I don't trust them to make him the player he can be.
Should be ok...after another flop season, I think Bergy will get the boot and the new GM can rebuild our management/development team. New GM gets to draft Hughes and start his tenure!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

My post was completely distorted into some unintended notion that money somehow doesn't matter within the context of attempting to sign a UFA.

And yet, what I was saying was so clear. There was no need for a snide reference to Marleau (MOD).

I'll reiterate it for an audience of one. In the very particular case of Tavares, money will not be the deciding factor. (MOD) it is very simple to understand -- all the teams that will vye for his services will come in at roughly the same monetary offer, with some probably offering certain adjustments on account of an unfavorable tax situation in their jurisdiction.

Within this particular and limited context, money will obviously not be the deciding factor as we're dealing with a rare star asset at a premium position entering the market at a still young age and evidently, will command top dollar. Those who will vye for his services will likely come in with beefed up offers in terms of money and likely all teams that want to be in the derby will stay within close range. There is no place for nickel and diming or offers that are lower in this situation.

Ergo, money will not be the deciding factor that will decide where Tavares is going. And not as you interpreted which is "money is never the deciding factor for UFAs".

(MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
My post was completely distorted into some unintended notion that money somehow doesn't matter within the context of attempting to sign a UFA.

And yet, what I was saying was so clear. There was no need for a snide reference to Marleau and to a whole bunch of bolded text as if someone needed to be schooled in the art of being captain obvious.

I'll reiterate it for an audience of one. In the very particular case of Tavares, money will not be the deciding factor. And before you jump into another multi-paragraph post about how money matters, it is very simple to understand -- all the teams that will vye for his services will come in at roughly the same monetary offer, with some probably offering certain adjustments on account of an unfavorable tax situation in their jurisdiction.

Within this particular and limited context, money will obviously not be the deciding factor as we're dealing with a rare star asset at a premium position entering the market at a still young age and evidently, will command top dollar. Those who will vye for his services will likely come in with beefed up offers in terms of money and likely all teams that want to be in the derby will stay within close range. There is no place for nickel and diming or offers that are lower in this situation.

Ergo, money will not be the deciding factor that will decide where Tavares is going. And not as you interpreted which is "money is never the deciding factor for UFAs".

Next time time, please spare me the condescending hogwash and the all-too obvious list of determining factors that can impact a player's decisions. Thanks.

Great post. Your points have are academically proven actually for anyone who is familiar with Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. So long as money meets the basic needs of safety and security, many other motivating factors take precedence over money; recognition, intrinsic feeling of accomplishment, self-awareness or satisfaction.

I mean, of course he isn’t going to play for free, but that should just be assumed.

On a side note, hope you’re feeling better.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

And yet, what I was saying was so clear. There was no need for a snide reference to Marleau and to a whole bunch of bolded text as if someone needed to be schooled in the art of being captain obvious.

I'll reiterate it for an audience of one. In the very particular case of Tavares, money will not be the deciding factor. And before you jump into another multi-paragraph post about how money matters, it is very simple to understand -- all the teams that will vye for his services will come in at roughly the same monetary offer, with some probably offering certain adjustments on account of an unfavorable tax situation in their jurisdiction.

Next time time, please spare me the condescending hogwash and the all-too obvious list of determining factors that can impact a player's decisions. Thanks.

Yes you are right.

Reactions: Runner77

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I don't think money is what is going to be the deciding factor for Tavares. I suspect almost every team will be coming in at the same price or similar. It's the other factors and those are personal to the player. I don't see it happening but I could be wrong.

The only way I see Tavares signing in Montreal is if most if not all of the following occur

-Weber and Price are actual strong selling points for Tavares in coming here like some have tried speculating
-Molson, Bergevin and Julien can effectively sell both the city, team and their plan to Tavares
-Tavares values the potential of being the face of a historic franchise and all the pressures that come with it

This is a city that for years have struggled to attract top free agents here from Charles Bronfan throwing a fancy party full of Montreal's elites to try and wow Reggie Jackson to go to the Expos to Bob Gainey having Kiefer Sutherland and Jean Beliveau personally try and get Danny Briere to sign here in 2007.

I don't expect Tavares to sign here but I also didn't expect all the nice things that have happened so far for the Habs this off-season so who knows.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Not necessarily. Tkachuk is close and it sounds like he’s the kind of player who could seduce a GM like Bergevin.

Providence!

Yesterday, I was looking at the combine results from 2012 and noticed this:

Right Hand Grip
1- Morgan Rielly
Left Hand Grip
3- Morgan Rielly
Benchpress
4- Morgan Rielly
Benchpress, number of reps
4- Morgan Rielly

Bergevin likes a guy who's a gym rat with a firm grip.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The only way I see Tavares signing in Montreal is if most if not all of the following occur

-Weber and Price are actual strong selling points for Tavares in coming here like some have tried speculating
-Molson, Bergevin and Julien can effectively sell both the city, team and their plan to Tavares
-Tavares values the potential of being the face of a historic franchise and all the pressures that come with it

This is a city that for years have struggled to attract top free agents here from Charles Bronfan throwing a fancy party full of Montreal's elites to try and wow Reggie Jackson to go to the Expos to Bob Gainey having Kiefer Sutherland and Jean Beliveau personally try and get Danny Briere to sign here in 2007.

I don't expect Tavares to sign here but I also didn't expect all the nice things that have happened so far for the Habs this off-season so who knows.

Da phoque? First time I hear that one. Where did you take that from?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
This is it. It's all money. As you said his agent will be looking for the deal that pay's him the most for the longest amount of time possible. After this deal nothing will be guaranteed for Tavares. Aside from the money, as I said, it will be "can I live in this country, state, province, city for the next however many years." He will not consider whether he has friends and finally he will give a pico-portion of thought towards the players on the team and the coach and managment, over the length of his contract the players coaches etc. are HIGHLY likely too change. You don't sign somewhere because Weber is playing on the team. This would be extremely stupid decision making as Weber could get traded within a year, hurt himself and never play again or simply retire, the same goes with any player or coach, they could be here today but gone tommorow.

It's money and location. This is a job.
Suter - Parize disagree
Stamkos disagree
Kucherov disagree

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Da phoque? First time I hear that one. Where did you take that from?

Q&A: Daniel Briere on life and career in new autobiography - Sportsnet.ca

They gave me a DVD with Kiefer Sutherland (who at the time was playing a starring role in the critically acclaimed television series 24) in a Canadiens jersey pitching me on the team and the city. My wife at the time was crying when she saw that.

Considering the lengths the Canadiens went to try and sign Briere that year it males it tougher to stomach the fact he still passed on them and then proceed to burn them everytime he played against them.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad