News Article: GMJR HAS RESIGNED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well was that Letang trade idea recent or was that during the off-season? I have a lot of doubts that JR was working on a Letang trade right now considering how many defenseman they had lost due to injury. Not to mention that it's also Dunlap, who's in on the clown show that is the Pittsburgh sports media.

But if that is true, I'm also going to judge JR pretty harshly if he just flat out quit because ownership didn't want him trading Letang. I don't like ownership meddling like that, but seems like a really immature response if you just flat out quit because of it.

Reactions: Andy99

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Why would Letang be seen as untouchable? I don't understand that.

I mean just his injury history makes him a moveable asset. Like Hornqvist.

Reactions: EightyOne

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Well twitter rumors are that JR skipped his exit interview. Now. it's twitter so take that with a large dose of salt.
So it sure "feels" like a disagreement between him and the owners (or moorehouse?) still JR has a lot of street cred in this biz. Typically Mario is the definition of a non-meddling owner. Only trade I can see that could cause some serious angst is if Malkin's name was mentioned. He's a big chuck of salary, is 34, and is playing the worst of his career right now.
BUT BUT BUT. Malkin will get it going so trading him would be dumb imo. I'm just trying to make some baseless speculation ;) what if CBJ had offered a package around Dubios for Malkin and that caused some heated discussions in management/owners. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. It's just timing wise it might fit and I could see JR doing a fine you won't let me do my job, I'm 71 in the HOF, have 3 cups, I'm outta here....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well was that Letang trade idea recent or was that during the off-season? I have a lot of doubts that JR was working on a Letang trade right now considering how many defenseman they had lost due to injury. Not to mention that it's also Dunlap, who's in on the clown show that is the Pittsburgh sports media.

But if that is true, I'm also going to judge JR pretty harshly if he just flat out quit because ownership didn't want him trading Letang. I don't like ownership meddling like that, but seems like a really immature response if you just flat out quit because of it.

He did say earlier it wasn't any one thing, and Yohe/Rossi pointed to a bunch of stuff that was ownership dictated, so it's not just Letang. If true.

Even then... I dunno, on one hand, maybe it's a bit immature, but on the other, if you've got a big job and you have full accountability and your boss won't let you run things the way you see they should be run, what's there left to do? I wouldn't tolerate that as a professional situation if I didn't have to, and you can make case that's in the org's best interests to avoid having a GM and owner that don't see eye to eye - why prolong it if that's where you are?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not against trading Letang at all I just don’t see a trade scenario that makes us better. If you’re trading him it’s to rebuild and I don’t think it’s time to do that yet. You’re not getting an equivalent d-man back and then we have another hole to fill.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The time for trading Letang had come and went. Every season that goes by, his value drops. He should have been gone several years ago but as we all know, you were an asshole for even suggesting it.

Reactions: ncm7772

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Has anyone thought that maybe hes just old, tired and frustrated and needed to be done.

I've thought it, and unless people are telling almighty lies when they don't have to and arguably would be better advised not to, that just doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it made him react more negatively to things than he might have otherwise, but it's not the root.

edit: And I know it seems very likely people are shading the truth in this somehow, but if he'd said "I'm 71 and I actually don't have the energy for this anymore", people would understand. It'd be the easiest out ever. Instead there's a sifting through of whispers that isn't ideal for either party.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I’m not against trading Letang at all I just don’t see a trade scenario that makes us better. If you’re trading him it’s to rebuild and I don’t think it’s time to do that yet. You’re not getting an equivalent d-man back and then we have another hole to fill.

That's always been the problem with dealing him. The hole you create by that deal is just too big to justify the return, unless it's a severe over payment. Which is entirely possible I guess.

I'd think right now that hole would be even more noticeable. With all the injuries, the real end of the window is not the time to be dealing away your only proven top pairing guy. No offense to Marino.

Reactions: Jacob

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Well twitter rumors are that JR skipped his exit interview. Now. it's twitter so take that with a large dose of salt.
So it sure "feels" like a disagreement between him and the owners (or moorehouse?) still JR has a lot of street cred in this biz. Typically Mario is the definition of a non-meddling owner. Only trade I can see that could cause some serious angst is if Malkin's name was mentioned. He's a big chuck of salary, is 34, and is playing the worst of his career right now.
BUT BUT BUT. Malkin will get it going so trading him would be dumb imo. I'm just trying to make some baseless speculation ;) what if CBJ had offered a package around Dubios for Malkin and that caused some heated discussions in management/owners. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. It's just timing wise it might fit and I could see JR doing a fine you won't let me do my job, I'm 71 in the HOF, have 3 cups, I'm outta here....

Favorite player would never waive his trade clause to go to Columbus. Maybe in free agency if they backed up the truck.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The problem with Letang is that he thinks he is and has been advertised as an offensive defenseman.

If he would focus less on the offensive numbers and more on 180 foot game he'd be such a better player. A better Paul Martin. But offensive numbers is where the $$$ is.

Our power play would be better off without him and his lack of shooting threat. I don't like his passing either on the PP either. Its messy.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
And there is no way Columbus would accept Malkin for Dubois. They wanted an ~equal aged player.

And the time to trade a player like Letang is in the offseason, or maybe at the trade deadline. Not 7 games into the season.

Reactions: Andy99

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
That’s weird timing on maybe trading Letang. It seems like an off-season move and not when your team is missing 4 of its top 6 defenseman.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
As a human, I wish him the best.

But as a follower of the penguins, before celebrating, who is this allvin guy?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As a human, I wish him the best.

As being the gm to my decided upon hockey team to follow, WOOHOO!

Who is this Allvin guy.... now? 'Meet the new boss, same as the old boss' kinda deal or wat?

Been with us forever as an amateur scout, was director of amateur scouting for 2018 drafts onwards, was promoted to AGM a few months back - so very difficult to say what he'll be like. I like his drafting but he's got very limited exposure to building a pro team.

Reactions: LOGiK

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Let's take another kick at the old can boys.
This team needs a 3ICE injection!
cut.jpeg

Get rid of that Sullivan clown as well for one of these fine prospects:
The Coaches

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I don’t know if we will ever find out exactly what happened unless JR gets loose-lipped.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I don't know if it has been mentioned but perhaps this is the beginning of a new trend, we have been known to turn things around and find success that we ride all the way to a Cup win after replacing a coach in the middle of winter. Perhaps replacing the GM instead will engender the aforementioned results? Let us hope, only time will tell...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Been with us forever as an amateur scout, was director of amateur scouting for 2018 drafts onwards, was promoted to AGM a few months back - so very difficult to say what he'll be like. I like his drafting but he's got very limited exposure to building a pro team.

Man... you guys always reply and catch my first posts before I edit them...

I read the quick news bit about Allvin being with the club for 17 years... and thought okaaaaaaaaaaay... tells me _nothing_ about the guy.

--

I'm really behind on my net / posting... I'm just commenting on JR turning over his fart scented big chair to Allvin and you guys are already on 'why he left' ... haha

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

interesting but how can you trade one of your only viable D men when you’re missing nearly all your D man right now? Don’t see how that be accomplished until some bodies come back at least...which again begs the question: why resign 7 games into the season?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't know if it has been mentioned but perhaps this is the beginning of a new trend, we have been known to turn things around and find success that we ride all the way to a Cup win after replacing a coach in the middle of winter. Perhaps replacing the GM instead will engender the aforementioned results? Let us hope, only time will tell...

Hey I'm all for the trading of Malkin / Letang.... which of course comes with a big gigantic BUT... you better be getting some choice class back man......

For Geno.... I think his full value is gone and never returning and not to mention he's russian with already winning everything he possibly ever could in the NHL.... pretty much zero left for him to do which translates to eventual just not giving a f***.

I'm more for trading Geno than I am Letang.... losing Letang leaves a gaping hole that could ruin the team (or not of course). Losing Malkin well.... some may not even notice malkin disappearing (again).

Not sure I trusted EXGMJR to get that done properly... maybe EXGMJR said to owners 'I'm sending out geno // tang for '''crappy return''' and hence disagreement -> pouty faces -> resignations

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The likelihood of there being a workable Malkin trade with that full NMC is virtually non-existent.

The likelihood of a Letang one is better, but he's about the team's only fit dman - why do that?

Also, Rutherford's in-season shake ups mostly seem to backfire at the moment.

Reactions: Ignatius and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The likelihood of there being a workable Malkin trade with that full NMC is virtually non-existent.

The likelihood of a Letang one is better, but he's about the team's only fit dman - why do that?

Also, Rutherford's in-season shake ups mostly seem to backfire at the moment.

yeah, if his plan was for a major shakeup 7 games in, I’m glad he resigned...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Highly doubt it was due to a Malkin trade simply because Geno has a NMC. If Malkin really wanted to leave I doubt anybody would stop that from happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad