News Article: GMJR HAS RESIGNED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I hated the JR hire but it worked out for the most part. The 2 Cups salvaged a Sid/Geno era that had been a bit of a disappointment with only the one Cup win prior to JR getting hired. Still, there is a little frustration because it felt like we could have made a more serious run at the Cup the past 3 seasons if JR had made some better moves.

It'll be interesting to see what the next GM does. The job is not as easy with Sid and Geno getting older now. We have to find a way to be decent this year since Minnesota has our 1st and we absolutely have to stop trading away future 1st rounders after this draft since we're not one of those teams that's a shoo-in for the playoffs every year at this point.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He traded 2 years of 1sts for wingers. That’s not the actions of someone who wants to rebuild. Let’s get real.
Yea, I’d hardly say JR’s recent body of work resembles someone trying to rebuild a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Don’t add your own narrative to this shit.

All I am saying is that no one should be above the team and its future, there is some loyalties that should be honoured. My comment could have also easily meant Kris Letang. Odd how people are so quick to dump him btw, a bloke that literally came back after a stroke because he loves the game and the team that much.

I don’t like the pick and choose shit of who they keep vs who they shouldn’t. I can’t say what I really feel about this because so many sensitive :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: would get triggered. So you’ll never know.

I feel like if Crosby left then Pittsburgh would be............

source.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He traded 2 years of 1sts for wingers. That’s not the actions of someone who wants to rebuild. Let’s get real.
So who wants the rebuild then, Morehouse? No one? Just mad those assets weren’t spent on other things instead?

If you think I think what JR has done the last 3yrs are great, you’d be wrong. JR deserved to be fired right after the Johnson buyout ink dried. Sullivan should have been fired right at the same moment.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So who wants the rebuild then, Morehouse? No one? Just mad those assets weren’t spent on other things instead?

If you think I think what JR has done the last 3yrs are great, you’d be wrong. JR deserved to be fired right after the Johnson buyout ink dried. Sullivan should have been fired right at the same moment.
Oh yea, he needed to go. We are halfway there; hopefully, Sully resigns tomorrow.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah that was the thing with JR... there was always at least a possibility you'd end up with a guy like Kessel on your roster, tomorrow.

Or, uh... Jack Johnson.

I can't say I'll miss it, exactly but it's worth highlighting.

UFA signings almost always become bad investments so Rutherford isn't alone when it comes to the JJ signing. Luckily Rutherford was much better trading for defenseman such as Daley for Scuderi, Pettersson for Sprong, Marino for a 6th, POJ for Kessel. So while Rutherford might not make every perfect move the next coach has much more players in primes to work with than when Rutherford took over this team. Getting skilled wingers like Kapanen and Zucker to go with Guentzel and Rust. Adding McCann and Tanev also added a lot of speed and talent to the 3rd line. Those are 4 nice wingers added in the past 2 years all fast and in 20's.

The additions of young defenseman like Marino, Pettersson, and POJ are 3 nice additions for that group also. Definitely some nice pieces for the end of the cores time to work with.

Everyone is pretty young around the core so definitely some pieces for the next GM and his eventual new coach.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
When I was a kid living in south Jersey, my dad and I saw Ron Hextall at a Modells in the Moorestown mall. My dad whispered to the sales associate, 'hey is that Ron Hextall?' And the employee responds 'yeah but don't say anything to him, he's a pretty big ass'.

And that's my Ron Hextall story

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

I haven’t seen anyone report that JR’s departure was surrounding a rebuild. Where are you seeing that?

Also, when has JR ever done a rebuild? He’s always gambling the future for the present. Riverboat gamblers don’t rebuild.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We can all switch our attachments on this team to just Geno & Sid.

Rest of these tossers might be gone before the next season starts. I pray for you Rusty.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Malkin’s a guy whose jersey should be retired once he’s done playing. You don’t trade him after everything he has accomplished here. And he had a great year last year pre-Covid. This is an abnormal year with a non-routine start. You have to have some more faith/patience that Malkin will turn it around.

I'd trade my mother if it won another cup. That said I tend to agree with you that he deserves more time to get going after the break they've had. But if we've hit the 20 game mark and he's still sucking hind tit, then that's about when I'd start looking around to see what real options are out there. Doesn't mean I'd do anything.. but if there was something that made sense, then yeah I'd at least consider it. The only player I wouldn't move is Crosby. Maybe I should value the two the same, but rightly or wrongly, I don't.

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
The guy is Pgh legend in my book. He made the teams that brought 2 super exciting cup seasons.

Ya he made some bade moves, JJ, Derek Brassard, moving Hags, trading Horny, but those cups will always be there.

We’re seriously spoiled in this town with our sports teams, we’ll be lucky to get another gm that can make the moves he made.

the guy had relationships with teams and people liked him.

will be interesting to find out the real reason he left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad