News Article: GMJR HAS RESIGNED

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
holy shit was not expecting to wake up to this news

best of luck in the future

and...uh...good luck to allvin who inherits this mess

Reactions: BHD and ncm7772

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree with this. I think teams too often end up chasing after the identity of team that won the Cup most recent instead of building to their team's strengths. The truth of the matter is that any style can win. The Pens did it with speed. The Blues did it with physicality. The Lightning did it with skill. An organization as big as a NHL team is too big and complex to constantly be changing course. Pick a lane and build to it. Doesn't mean that ALL of your players need to fit the same profile. Pens had Hornqvist. Blues had Tarasenko. Lightning had...Maroon...maybe...I don't know. Point is, there will always be tinkering around the edges to bring in different elements, but the core of your team needs to be focused.

The Lightning had their big breakthrough after spending real big on a pair of physical speedy grinders in Coleman and Goodrow, to go with Maroon in the bottom six and Schenn and Bogosian on the blue line. I'm not saying that grit is why they made it when they did, but made a big point of having a secondary component. To a certain extent, just like how we had Kunitz's ghost and Cole and Bonino. It's more than a bit of tinkering and while there's a core attribute, the best teams have it all.

No, I think Sullivan and JR have grown apart on how the team should play. Looking at ownership, Mario would probably want a more up tempo game a la Sullivan, where as JR seems to want to get bigger and slower because reasons. There is a conflict there because Sullivans game plan won 2 Cups. JRs tinkering the last few seasons has the team moving away from that and becoming slower and less skilled.

Probably the Hornqvist trade is the catalyst for all this. Horny is killing it in Florida, despite this board thinking he was declining, and the return for him ended up being pretty underwhelming. Matheson might end up being okay, but right now it is not looking good. Scevior had 1 good game, now has disappeared. They got slower, and the powerplay got worse.

I think now with the new GM coming in, if they keep Sullivan (which I imagine they will), we should see a return to the fast skilled team the Penguins were in 2016/17.

Rutherford's been preaching speed since the Bjugstad/McCann trade and been backing it up. That trade made us faster, Tanev, Kapanen and Zucker are all fast, Marino made us faster, the Hornqvist/Matheson trade made us faster, buying out JJ made us faster... about the only moves that didn't make us faster was the brief Gudbranson moment, and signing Jankowski.

I'd also say we're a lot more skilled than when Sheary was our second most skillful wing.

Go in a different direction and make Ventura the GM. Why does it have to be an ex-player or a retread? Just put the smart guy in charge.

GM needs to be able to get lots of smart people working right over being smart themselves.

I'm curious how the guy who signed Cody Ceci, traded Patric Hornqvist for Mike Matheson and a 1st and a great prospect for Kapanen was "trying to rebuild".

Acting like Rutherford was doing next level chess the last few years and was really trying to rebuild while pissing away every asset we had is definitely a take.

I don't think Rutherford's trying to rebuild, but he has deliberately been trying to extend the window at the cost the win-now veterans, and promoting youth that can develop. I think he has been retooling a little bit on the fly.

UFA signings almost always become bad investments so Rutherford isn't alone when it comes to the JJ signing.

Yeah, but it's rare they're so obviously bad from the moment the contract is signed!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
this is the reason why I dump on the fan base. “Fans” like this clown bask in the success that the coach and GM built and then things don’t go exactly as they want they jump ship.

this fan base is at an all time low after much success. Spoil rotten.

Just think though, how fun it would be for a new coach to bench Geno and a new GM to trade his ass for a quarter pounder with cheese

Open your mind!

maxpenguins6630

Apr 13, 2004
Guy as for the contracts, there are a lot of them that are negociated by assistant GM and as for the trade signing etc. A lot of recommandations and analysis of players come from the pro scouts...

rarely a one man show... it’s team success or failure Not only one guy

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
the guy had relationships with teams and people liked him.
Because he would overpay in trades. I bet he was really popular around the league. GM’s were thrilled when they saw an email or call from him.

“He always got his guy” is a nice way of saying he always overpaid.

If he gets a job would the Panthers, the league better investigate that thoroughly after how much he’s helped them.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens need some D to get healthy. Then see what the product is on the ice. Sully to me is a coach needing a change and the Pens should recognize his shortfall of speed and soft play now in a league that is physically demanding. Sid and Geno are simply going to do what they want as to style of play. GMJR told Malkin play better and more responsible knowing he hated the Kessel albatross. GMJR moves Kessel and Malkin plays better. Sid has forwards who can play at a high level and needs to adjust his game to that. Maybe he is but still guys get older and think they can play like they are 23. The culture has always been to favor skill over brawn and that isn't changing no matter who is the GM or Coach. That to me is the singular issue for this franchise.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah, half way there. It’s a f***ed up day when I have agreed with you, no offense mate.
giphy.gif

I’ll take that backhanded compliment.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I know, he isn’t going anywhere unless he’s fired. A guy can hope, though.
We could hope to get McDavid some day also, I guess. Just sayin, the chances are very very very very very remote.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the rumors about JR exploring a Letang trade and ownership blocking it are true then Lemieux and Co. can **** off. This teams rebuild is going to be a massive shit show and get ready for all the rumors of selling the team once the Crosby/Malkin Era is over. I'm all for loyalty and understand the legacy Letang carries but this is still a business and if JR had something setup that helps this team then he shouldn't have ownership getting in the way.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
If the rumors about JR exploring a Letang trade and ownership blocking it are true then Lemieux and Co. can **** off. This teams rebuild is going to be a massive shit show and get ready for all the rumors of selling the team once the Crosby/Malkin Era is over. I'm all for loyalty and understand the legacy Letang carries but this is still a business and if JR had something setup that helps this team then he shouldn't have ownership getting in the way.
Given his recent track record, it would be bold to assume any trade he was working on would actually help

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jim Rutherford's shocking Penguins exit and ensuing chaos – The Athletic

Cliff notes

Rutherford didn't consider doing it until Tuesday, but told Morehouse he was resigning Tuesday evening
Mario is stunned
Rutherford agrees timing is weird but "It’s important to me to leave the Penguins on a positive note, and that’s what I’m going to do. I’m not going to get into the details of the past couple of days.”"
Rutherford's said the last 11 months have been brutal but that's not why he quit, and that while he'd been discussing the future with his wife, he hadn't expected to do it now
Full of praise for Mario, Burkle, Sid
Said relationship with Morehouse is good
Morehouse said the resignation wasn't over a disagreement over personnel

However

Rutherford wasn't solely behind firing Karmanos, or letting the assistants go
He'd also balked at the idea of bringing in Tallon

Rutherford says that re Skalde's case, he brought that to HR "immediately" on learning and that to his knowledge, they handled it as well as they could
Ownership expected Rutherford to do at least another season

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, I highly suspect this is the case. I know for sure upper mgmt expected JR to be around for another season or two minimum... so this is all really weird as hell.

A guy like JR doesn’t just suddenly quit and then hint he over stayed his welcome,

Looks like the brass want to go down with the ship and hope these guys can bail water well for a couple seasons..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Are these rumours or guesses?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
where did you hear that rumor? Letang has his bonehead moments but even now at his salary is well worth it. Letang is a bonafide #1 defensemen in a league where not every team has one of those.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
The fact that ownership expected JR to be around until he no longer wanted to be a GM tells me that they were fine with his performance and recent trades. If they weren't then they should have fired him after the Montreal series. This comes down to ownership keeping Crosby/Malkin/Letang together for whatever reason.

JR accomplished what ownership (and us) wanted - get Crosby and Malkin more Cups. The fact that they refuse to accept that this team is no longer a legitimate contender is baffling. Sure, they could probably still win a Cup, I've seen crazier things in sports happen, but it's definitely a long shot. Whatever, the new GM better not trade that 2022 1st rounder so we can get Shane Wright and keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Ta.

I am slightly dubious because the local media really know that much, and we know he's explored Letang trades in the past, yet clearly something happened and Rutherford trying to trade Letang seems likely.

In any case - without knowing for sure, or what the deal might have been - I think I might be happy ownership said no.

Reactions: BHD

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I doubt that. JR has almost traded Letang before. Seems like the Shero rumour simply resurfacing in the consciousness of some.

Edit: just saw that tweet. That is concerning if true but I also doubt the deal would have been good for Pittsburgh and maybe ownership was tired of good players going out the door for unknowns or projects. It’s kind of nice to know ownership still cares at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad