Post-Game Talk: [GM39] Canucks lose to Jets | 4-7 | Miller, Studnicka, Horvat, Dries

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Yeah, I think once they trade Bo, Schenn, the team should fall end harder.
The only thing that worries me is Demko. We have no idea what Demko we are gonna get when he returns.
Yeah can only hope that he comes back to form and is given proper treatment and recovery time for whatever is going on. The team has relied on him way too heavily.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
This exactly. The group has gone through a wide variety of “issues” including not being able to generate enough offense over extended periods, lack of defensive structure, poor special teams, poor 5-on-5 play, in-fighting on the ice and apparently in the room, and now (finally) below average goaltending.

There will always be an excuse for this group finishing in basically the same spot in the standings every year.
Forgot coaching

Reactions: TruGr1t

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
What if I told you he’s available right now?

Dhaliwal said the Canucks view him as a AHL
head coach or something like an associate at the NHL level, though. He’s also expected to sign with a Finnish team.

A man can dream of him coming over and getting into a full on fist fight, though.
Well yeah I know he is available but really the last thing we need this year is to get a new coach and whatever bump that comes with it.

We need a better coach NEXT season. Just let this discrete/silent/accidental/whatever adjective tank go on undisturbed.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There is really nothing wrong with keeping the core of Petey, Hughes, Demko , Miller, Kuz.

Trading away Bo, Myers, Pearson, Garland, Boeser and buying out OEL would free up enough cap to surround those guys with good players. The issue was always around what assets could we get back and would we need to expand when getting rid of these guys.
The issue is pipeline, we would have to build through free agency which everybody knows it’s near impossible

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
While I do think goaltending has been a major issue another big difference between the last two seasons with Boudreau is the massive regression of Myers and OEL. Last season they were effective at eating ice time and provided quality 2nd pairing minutes. This season they are much much worse. Combine them with Hughes taking a step back defensively and the three most important defencemen aren’t holding up their side of the deal.

So the goaltending is worse and the chances are more frequent and higher quality. The problem becomes recursive and cascades.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
So close could feel the losing culture in my bones.

Also, Brock Boeser may not even be too 10 in the AHL scoring the way he is playing.

Attachments

• 524ECF23-431F-4374-9875-04F09EB8BEFB.jpeg
    524ECF23-431F-4374-9875-04F09EB8BEFB.jpeg
    531.7 KB · Views: 2

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
While I do think goaltending has been a major issue another big difference between the last two seasons with Boudreau is the massive regression of Myers and OEL. Last season they were effective at eating ice time and provided quality 2nd pairing minutes. This season they are much much worse. Combine them with Hughes taking a step back defensively and the three most important defencemen aren’t holding up their side of the deal.

So the goaltending is worse and the chances are more frequent and higher quality. The problem becomes recursive and cascades.
Often wonder how much Shaw had an influence last year.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Yeah, I think once they trade Bo, Schenn, the team should fall end harder.
The only thing that worries me is Demko. We have no idea what Demko we are gonna get when he returns.
No I think the opposite will happen when they make their moves. For starters, they'll probably get a young prospect or two that will be excited to come play in Vancouver and he might fill Horvat's void. Secondly, the drama and distractions will be over and the team will likely play better knowing that this is the roster they have. I can see a scenario where they go on an insane run in the last month or two, taking them right out of the top 10 draft position. Probably end up 14 or 15.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Often wonder how much Shaw had an influence last year.

And Walker, in his limited time. But really it looks to just be age related regression for OEL. Whether it’s nagging minor injuries or whatever his skating looks shot. Myers has always been an inconsistent mess and that’s rearing its head this season. With OEL becoming bad, Myers is trying to pick up the slack on both ends and he’s just not capable of doing it. Makes mistake after mistake.

Hughes started the season injured. Looks to be rounding into form. He’s also bounced between two completely different stylistic partners (Schenn and Bear) so there’s no cohesion on what they want him to do.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The issue is pipeline, we would have to build through free agency which everybody knows it’s near impossible
There are undervalued guys popping up around the league every season. It’s unlikely to find guys like Kuz every season, that I agree. But it’s not hard to find a bunch of 40-50ish point players who have characteristics they are looking for to fill out the rest of the roster. Top paring D is like near impossible and top4 guys need actual assets to trade for which makes it essentially that we maximize what we get back when we trade away guys

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
No I think the opposite will happen when they make their moves. For starters, they'll probably get a young prospect or two that will be excited to come play in Vancouver and he might fill Horvat's void. Secondly, the drama and distractions will be over and the team will likely play better knowing that this is the roster they have. I can see a scenario where they go on an insane run in the last month or two, taking them right out of the top 10 draft position. Probably end up 14 or 15.
I mean every single year we end with a winning streak to shoot up about 10-15 points in the standings, so its believable

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
cam charron has talked a bunch about how there aren't enough reliable defensemen in the league to go around and teams know it so the only ones ever made available are usually bad

vancouver really sunk themselves by not developing any dmen in the last decade and having to rely on myers, oel, schenn, bear, etc

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
What an awful performance from Myers. Absolutely dreadful. It would be one thing if we were trying to tank, but the way Myers can play like this where his lack of critical thinking is directly responsible for like 4 goals, meanwhile getting a free ride from Boudreau... it makes me sick. Boudreau has become as much a problem as anything.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Bo is on a 50G pace. The likelihood of the kid we get fillling that void is like nil. If that happens, then you f***ing take it and run and don’t complain about it ruining your tank because the point of tanking is to get a guy like that.

I don’t know, I see the Myers and OEL as the contributing reason to our shit defense. As long as they are here and Demko not being his usual self, we should be fine.

Reactions: Indiana and m9

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
cam charron has talked a bunch about how there aren't enough reliable defensemen in the league to go around and teams know it so the only ones ever made available are usually bad

vancouver really sunk themselves by not developing any dmen in the last decade and having to rely on myers, oel, schenn, bear, etc

which makes letting Tanev a top 10 defender walk crazy.

I would say an excellent defensive dman who you can count on - one of the more valuable pieces on a hockey team.

Scotty Bowman has coached a lot of great players, and he always talks about how Serge Savard made very little mistakes on the ice, and his importance to the 70s Habs dominance.

Feb 20, 2013
Good result for the Canucks in that they played quite well this game but lost. Certainly played well enough to win, but there were a lot of soft goals. Goaltending has really been the Canuck's weakness this year and today was no different. Gotta like these high-scoring losses because it will help to inflate trade values (unless of course no one gets traded).

Reactions: Indiana

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Which makes improving the current team very difficult even without adding, no prospect pool, capped out, crappy contracts, etc. to the mix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad