Post-Game Talk: [GM39] Canucks lose to Jets | 4-7 | Miller, Studnicka, Horvat, Dries

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah its time to cut bait with Bruce, this guy's 'coaching' its a joke this year.
Guy puts out the worst defensive pairings and his conclusion is 'well they tried hard'.

FOH.

Reactions: mossey3535

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As I said in the last game, I hate this ‘goaltending isn’t an excuse because we also have a high shooting % argument’.

PDO in a team sense doesn’t default to 1.

This team has a ton of high-percentage shooters and are built to be running a high team shooting %. The high shooting percentage isn’t luck - it’s sustainable. Obviously Horvat’s is crazy but Pettersson/Boeser/Miller/Garland/the entire blueline are all running below career averages.

This team as built if performing as expected should be driving a high PDO - lots of quality shooters and an elite #1 goalie.

Instead we’re receiving some of the worst goaltending of this century.
Or…

It’s this general collection of players if it isn’t the goaltending it will be the PP. If isn’t PP it’ll be the PK. If it isn’t the PK it will be the team defense….

The fact is, this collection of players as a whole do not perform at a level commiserate with consistent wins.

As whole in all situations the team is performing right at the expected goal share.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I remember a specific sports team I was on in my 20s. I was a top player on the team for a couple years, then just a key part of the group. A few years later, the "core" was still basically the same but we had some new players, including one that played my position but was simply better than the version of me I had become due to age, injuries, etc. Still considered everyone my friends.

Just to say, I do feel bad for Brock Boeser. It's a shitty position to be in. I'm sure he knows he isn't the guy he used to be more than anyone and it kills him.

But man, they can't play him on the PP1. Or in the top six. He's just not that guy anymore.

I think a fresh start would be great. A buyout and a short contract that pays him like 3 million a year would take the pressure off with the appropriate expectations for where he was as a player.
I think he needs to try to shed some weight. It might make him less effective down low but even if it makes him half a step faster, he could be more useful.

I wonder if he has some degenerative leg issue or something with how bad he looks trying to move

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're right that argument is dumb. It's the wrong stat to look at, irrelevant.

But when you check the "adjusted for expected goals against", the truth comes out.

It’s this general collection of players if it isn’t the goaltending it will be the PP. If it’ll be the PK. If it isn’t the PK it will be the team defense….

The fact is, this collection of players as a whole do not perform at a level commiserate with consistent wins.

As whole in all situations the team is performing right at the expected goal share.

And again, the team as built if performing as expected should be substantially outperforming their expected goal share. And will again if Demko returns to his previous form.

This is a bad defensive team. Obviously. But we were supposed to have an elite starting goalie and instead have received some of the worst goaltending in modern memory.

Reactions: Indiana

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
As I said in the last game, I hate this ‘goaltending isn’t an excuse because we also have a high shooting % argument’.

PDO in a team sense doesn’t default to 1.

This team has a ton of high-percentage shooters and are built to be running a high team shooting %. The high shooting percentage isn’t luck - it’s sustainable. Obviously Horvat’s is crazy but Pettersson/Boeser/Miller/Garland/the entire blueline are all running below career averages.

This team as built if performing as expected should be driving a high PDO - lots of quality shooters and an elite #1 goalie.

Instead we’re receiving some of the worst goaltending of this century.
I feel like this direction came straight from Francesco. Like he figured out how to get by in the EA NHL series with one way sharpshooters and a 90 overall rated goalie.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Lets keep the core together and wait and see if the other things fix themselves before they get old and grey. Wait and see
There is really nothing wrong with keeping the core of Petey, Hughes, Demko , Miller, Kuz.

Trading away Bo, Myers, Pearson, Garland, Boeser and buying out OEL would free up enough cap to surround those guys with good players. The issue was always around what assets could we get back and would we need to expand when getting rid of these guys.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Your libido shouldn't be fading at 35. I'm well into my 40's and can still satisfy 2 women at the same time.
1673219488505.png

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
There is really nothing wrong with keeping the core of Petey, Hughes, Demko , Miller, Kuz.

Trading away Bo, Myers, Pearson, Garland, Boeser and buying out OEL would free up enough cap to surround those guys with good players. The issue was always around what assets could we get back and would we need to expand when getting rid of these guys.
Too early to buy out OEL. He can still play at a 5ish million dollar d man. Boeser we have to buy out.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
What a weird season

Part of me hopes that we keep losing and can get a piece who will drastically improve our team and the main guys will understand that this was a total aberration of a year based against scoring performance. Our defence isnt good enough for us to go anywhere with even average goaltending

Reactions: Indiana

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah its time to cut bait with Bruce, this guy's 'coaching' its a joke this year.
Guy puts out the worst defensive pairings and his conclusion is 'well they tried hard'.

FOH.
The plan is to let BB do this thing and tank. There is a reason they don’t want to say what the plan is because you don’t want to say that part out loud.

Just enjoy the tank.

Let me introduce you to a dude named Rikard Gronborg.

Holy shit we need a guy like this

Reactions: Indiana and Vector

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The plan is to let BB do this thing and tank. There is a reason they don’t want to say what the plan is because you don’t want to say that part out loud.

Just enjoy the tank.
That's what I'm hoping. The top end of the draft is so loaded. I know the most desperate need is a RD (god watching Jiricek had me salivating, I wanted him so bad last year) but with Bo likely moving on and Miller not a viable option at C for long term I'd take whatever we can get. It will help

Reactions: mriswith

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Or…

It’s this general collection of players if it isn’t the goaltending it will be the PP. If it’ll be the PK. If it isn’t the PK it will be the team defense….

This exactly. The group has gone through a wide variety of “issues” including not being able to generate enough offense over extended periods, lack of defensive structure, poor special teams, poor 5-on-5 play, in-fighting on the ice and apparently in the room, and now (finally) below average goaltending.

There will always be an excuse for this group finishing in basically the same spot in the standings every year.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Holy shit we need a guy like this

What if I told you he’s available right now?

Dhaliwal said the Canucks view him as a AHL
head coach or something like an associate at the NHL level, though. He’s also expected to sign with a Finnish team.

A man can dream of him coming over and getting into a full on fist fight, though.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That's what I'm hoping. The top end of the draft is so loaded. I know the most desperate need is a RD (god watching Jiricek had me salivating, I wanted him so bad last year) but with Bo likely moving on and Miller not a viable option at C for long term I'd take whatever we can get. It will help
Yeah, I think once they trade Bo, Schenn, the team should fall end harder.
The only thing that worries me is Demko. We have no idea what Demko we are gonna get when he returns.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad