Post-Game Talk: [GM28] Canucks defeat Hurricanes | 4-3 (Pettersson, Miller, Mikheyev, & Lafferty) | Skin of Their Teeth

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
When did ya'll get your first cellular telephone? How old were you, or what grade? Do you remember the sound of a dialup modem?

That's a good cutoff too. But it seems so weird to define a generation by such a stupid thing that actually completely transcends those generations.
Yyyep. Can remember being annoyed every time I was on the phone and my sister would plug it in. Having to plug the cord into the phone in general is what I remember the most about when we first had internet.

First phone? I was actually late to get my first phone compared to my peers. I think I finally got one in grade 11 when I got my first job. That was my first time getting my own phone with a contract and everything. I think a year or two before my buddy - whose dad worked for Telus and got his hands on several phones - gave me one of those Motorola Startac phones and I just put minutes on it.,

Reactions: calnuck

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yyyep. Can remember being annoyed every time I was on the phone and my sister would plug it in. Having to plug the cord into the phone in general is what I remember the most about when we first had internet.

First phone? I was actually late to get my first phone compared to my peers. I think I finally got one in grade 11 when I got my first job. That was my first time getting my own phone with a contract and everything. I think a year or two before my buddy - whose dad worked for Telus and got his hands on several phones - gave me one of those Motorola Startac phones and I just put minutes on it.,

idk what you even mean by, "plugging the cord in to the phone"? What's that about?

But i suppose maybe in some ways, it'd be more accurate to ask..."do you remember the idea of The Family Cellphone?" Having that thing. Choosing a colour for it and a case. The idea that it was a unique thing that was for special instances. Otherwise, you just remember all the landline numbers for home and friends and use those.

• Haha
Reactions: Jay26 and andora

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
idk what you even mean by, "plugging the cord in to the phone"? What's that about?

But i suppose maybe in some ways, it'd be more accurate to ask..."do you remember the idea of The Family Cellphone?" Having that thing. Choosing a colour for it and a case. The idea that it was a unique thing that was for special instances. Otherwise, you just remember all the landline numbers for home and friends and use those.
Maybe I'm remembering something unique for our home that wasn't the case for anyone else haha. I remember we would have to plug the dialup literally into a jack on our cord phone on the wall in order to use the internet and when we were done we'd have to unplug it again.

Reactions: biturbo19

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
It's not at all surprising that Hughes had an off game; he's played the most cumulative minutes of any player this season, and he's gotta be tired. Miller and Pettersson are both top 10 for forwards as well (and Boeser at 20), and Demko is third for goalies. The team has played a lot of games with very little downtime; the two days between now and the Tampa game are the first two-day break in the middle of a homestand they've had since October. Hopefully with the Christmas break at the end of the month they'll have a chance to recharge a bit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Maybe I'm remembering something unique for our home that wasn't the case for anyone else haha. I remember we would have to plug the dialup literally into a jack on our cord phone on the wall in order to use the internet and when we were done we'd have to unplug it again.

You mean like...plugging the "internet" cable from the computer in to the "phone jack"? Not the phone itself, but physically unplugging the phone and plugging the modem in?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They have no star talent at any position, bad goaltending, and are getting outplayed 5-on-5 pretty regularly. It’s not looking good for them, and that does not look remotely like a contending team to me right now.

All their young stars have pretty much stalled out as 60-80 point players. Which I wouldn't complain about but a couple of years ago we all thought they'd be a behemoth and doesn't look that way now. Defense is old now and goaltending looks shaky. Their management/owner have been extremely hesitant to actually spend any of their draft and prospect currency but have enough to make some huge splashes. That isn't their MO, though.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Can you imagine if Brock was doing that post-game show after scoring 18 goals for another team and how painful it would be to watch it? The answer is no you can't because it would be too damned painful. Brock spared all of you that pain. Remember that...
even more ...

• Love
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Side note we have 18 ROWs which lead the league. Could come in huge for us down the stretch when it comes to tiebreakers.
Yep. I mentioned this is another thread in response to Edmonton getting back into the playoff race. I am not worried at all. They still have a lot of points to make up and we are leading the conference in RW. The Canucks basically need to take care of business and the team makes the playoffs. Seeding is a different question and there’s still a lot of games to be played. But Flames and Oilers have a lot of points to make up to catch us.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Side note we have 18 ROWs which lead the league. Could come in huge for us down the stretch when it comes to tiebreakers.

Heck yeah. First round bye if we lock up that top seed!!!

wait...

hmmm...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Most complete, professional game in some time. This, plus the latter two periods of the Minnesota game show how effective they can be when they execute at the level expected of them.

Only blemish is that the defensive cracks in Hughes-Hronek that were apparent weeks ago are growing larger.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Can you imagine if Brock was doing that post-game show after scoring 18 goals for another team and how painful it would be to watch it? The answer is no you can't because it would be too damned painful. Brock spared all of you that pain. Remember that...
even more ...

Well, it would probably depend somewhat on what we replaced him with.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
When did ya'll get your first cellular telephone? How old were you, or what grade? Do you remember the sound of a dialup modem?

That's a good cutoff too. But it seems so weird to define a generation by such a stupid thing that actually completely transcends those generations.
Christ, I remember rotary dial telephones....I think...

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
I can't believe everyone wanted to trade Miller last year. He's one of the best players have ever had and he's a game changer who can throw a team on his back. The Canucks sorely lacked this kind of player in the past. The closest they had was prime Kesler but Miller is better imo.

Joshua a total stud on the boards.
The board battles last night were fierce. I was gonna say last night that Joshua and his line and the defense were battling hard on the boards. Juulsen has really improved lately and Myers had one of his best games. Zadorov too.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Also Hoglander should be in the top six for the rest of the year. He makes things happen every time he's on the ice and keeps getting better and better. Hard to take Lafferty out too but Kuzmenko is gonna need another top 6 shot soon with the way his play has improved. I hope we don't give up on him. Kuzmenko, Mikheyev and Zadorov have kind of brought one another to the team by committee.

I find myself actually pulling for Myers now. He's such a scapegoat I feel kind of bad for him at this point. He seems like a good guy and great teammate who works hard and I guess I'm a softy.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ehhh...People said that about other teams like the Vegas Glitters too. Depth is huge in this league today. But their depth is weirdly unbalanced.

You're right in that they don't necessarily have that huge "superstar" talent. But Aho is a really darn good player. Maybe not as talented as Pettersson, but a lot more consistent. Svechnikov is their other real gamebreaker...who obviously didn't play tonight. We don't really have a winger like that, so there's no equivalent...but missing that guy is huge for them.

It's just so weird that they're viewed as "contenders" when their #2C is f***ing Kotkaniemi. Like for srs? Sorry. No.

Their defence is insanely deep though. Also weird in that it's lacking a superstar. But they've got it built a lot like the 2010-11 Canucks. They've got 5 Top-3D. Slavin is even remarkably similar to what Hamhuis was at the time.

Staal is still probably the best #3C in the game right now, but that doesn't really make up for the hole at #2C.

Their goaltending has fallen apart on some bad gambles...but i don't think, especially after what they did last season, it was unreasonable to consider them a contender. Despite those holes. They're all just coming out in a big way right now.

All their young stars have pretty much stalled out as 60-80 point players. Which I wouldn't complain about but a couple of years ago we all thought they'd be a behemoth and doesn't look that way now. Defense is old now and goaltending looks shaky. Their management/owner have been extremely hesitant to actually spend any of their draft and prospect currency but have enough to make some huge splashes. That isn't their MO, though.

Watching that team last night, they looked no different to me than Calgary.

Really great top-5 on D, wimpy offense with no superstars or gamebreakers, bad goaltending.

They've been more than the sum of their parts for a few years from now and really overachieved into contender status but you wonder if the bubble is bursting.

Plus the youngest of that blueline top-5 is 29, Pesce and Skjei are pending UFAs, and Burns will be 39 next summer.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Really great top-5 on D, wimpy offense with no superstars or gamebreakers, bad goaltending.

They've been more than the sum of their parts for a few years from now and really overachieved into contender status but you wonder if the bubble is bursting.

Plus the youngest of that blueline top-5 is 29, Pesce and Skjei are pending UFAs, and Burns will be 39 next summer.
i thought about this at random times over the last while - but i think their splash can be argued to be a goalie just as much as a forward..

i mean with the way they play (can play consistently) - i would think john gibson could be a very effective goaltender on a team that protects him (can)..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Aho is a PPG guy. Svech, also typically in the 70's. That's their best offensive guys. Very good players, but not superstars. More Star level.

Does beg the question, does Carolina push hard this season if they are losing Pesce/Skjei this summer? Are they going to fix their goaltending and add a scorer? They did let both Hamilton/Ferland walk when they hit UFA. Dundon's philosophy is to not pay guys more than he feels they are worth. They did sign Aho, but he was due to hit UFA at 27 so he has plenty of good years ahead of him. Pesce is 29 and turns 30 this time next year. Do they want to lock themselves into a 7-8 year contract with him?

These last couple of seasons, really was the time for the Hurricanes to push. Going for KK versus pony up for someone who was an immediate help was an odd decision. More based on revenge vs. trying to win with their core.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Aho is a PPG guy. Svech, also typically in the 70's. That's their best offensive guys. Very good players, but not superstars. More Star level.

Does beg the question, does Carolina push hard this season if they are losing Pesce/Skjei this summer? Are they going to fix their goaltending and add a scorer? They did let both Hamilton/Ferland walk when they hit UFA. Dundon's philosophy is to not pay guys more than he feels they are worth. They did sign Aho, but he was due to hit UFA at 27 so he has plenty of good years ahead of him. Pesce is 29 and turns 30 this time next year. Do they want to lock themselves into a 7-8 year contract with him?

These last couple of seasons, really was the time for the Hurricanes to push. Going for KK versus pony up for someone who was an immediate help was an odd decision. More based on revenge vs. trying to win with their core.

Svechnikov has never hit 70 points in a season. The skills + eye test have never added up to any really elite results.

And yeah, their owner is a hardass about long-term extensions and extending d-men in particular so I'd expect both of those guys to be gone. And because they're a smart organization they'll probably find pretty decent replacements, but it's hard to see them actually getting *upgrades* and moving up the contender ladder.

Weird team in a weird place right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Svechnikov has never hit 70 points in a season. The skills + eye test have never added up to any really elite results.

And yeah, their owner is a hardass about long-term extensions and extending d-men in particular so I'd expect both of those guys to be gone. And because they're a smart organization they'll probably find pretty decent replacements, but it's hard to see them actually getting *upgrades* and moving up the contender ladder.

Weird team in a weird place right now.
At the ages that Pesce and Slavin hit UFA, an older 29 for Pesce and 31 for Slavin in 2025, packing on those retirement years not ideal and not something that Dundon typically likes to do.

Would have expected them to have been more aggressive the past couple of seasons in going for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad