Post-Game Talk: [GM26] Canucks lose to Devils | 5-6 (Miller, Joshua, Boeser, Lafferty, & Hoglander) | Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Adequacy

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Once Myers is gone, fans will just complain about another players. There's always a scapegoat.
Yeah, most fans cheers the losses as equally as the wins and all players are appreciated equally.

heh

scrapegoat

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
When you have 28.55M in dead cap and you’re trying to compete to make the playoffs, you’re going to get stretches like what we’ve seen.

Kuzmenko, Pettersson, Garland, Mikheyev, Myers are providing pretty much nothing to the team.

I would have no issue getting rid of all these players besides Pettersson but right now I’m not sure he’s even worth half of the 10M or so he thinks he deserves. Absolute shell of a player.

I have an opinion on Mikheyev but I’ll wait until a bit later on in the year where we can’t fallback on the injury for an excuse anymore. Way too passive for my liking but we’ll see.

IMG_9725.jpeg

Kuzmenko is utterly pathetic. His mind must still be in Bali. Tocchet hates him and when you see charts like this, you start to understand why.

Reactions: B-rock

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
solid post if we are discussing one game, but over time for me it's not even rational anymore. myers is always in the mix at key bad points in our games. it often is not his fault, but he's right there. i feel like at a deeper level the team is just out of synch with him on the ice and it shows up in unexpected ways. maybe other guys make mistakes because they are distracted by something myers did or did not do, or maybe they are just trying to hard too adapt to or allow for his style of play.

myers sucks and everyone (except the coaches) knows it but from reading the game threads you'd think the canucks were a stanley cup favorite if not for the perfidious myers. there's plenty of blame to go around. myers wasn't even on the ice for the game winning goal. cole had a chance to clear the puck and made a terrible play and hronek stood and watched bratt after the turnover but still people were somehow blaming a myers turnover a minute earlier for the goal

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Myers has cost us at least 4 games, single handedly. And countless egregious penalties that have resulted in goals. His constant defensive breakdowns have time and time again cost us this team more times than any other player.

Do I think there are scapegoats every year? Yes, no question, you will have players having down seasons, it happens all the time. The thing is, this is year 5 of Myers and I don’t think he’s ever played a stretch where he’s been solid for more than 10 consecutive games.
With a roster filled with Benning picks, there's an abundance of full value wipping boyse.

Last edited:

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I don't see how kuzmenko is still a canuck by the trade deadline

Tocchet hates him and I don't really disagree with his main issues with kuz

Yeah his comments in the post game presser were just awful. He's clearly pissed with Kuz. I don't see how Kuz stays now.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Demko Petey not showing up is really hard to get used to.
Somethings wrong with them

has to be fatigue or injury to petterson. demko did get up slow last game overplayed? maybe time for desmith to come in thursday. sit juulsen or myers put in friedman. its time to shake up the d pairings for the next month or so.

Reactions: LordBacon

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I love 98% of what Tocchet has done here but the other 2% is how he’s pushed all the wrong buttons with Kuzmenko and turned him from an elite sniper who outscored his defensive issues to a caught-in-the-middle confidence-lacking shell of himself who looks terrified of making a mistake and then makes them anyway.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Yeah his comments in the post game presser were just awful. He's clearly pissed with Kuz. I don't see how Kuz stays now.

and leave the wings as boeser, mikheyev, lafferty, hoglander, joshua and garland? no way. that team goes nowhere

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
and leave the wings as boeser, mikheyev, lafferty, hoglander, joshua and garland? no way. that team goes nowhere

Agreed, that's an awfully thin wing, but if Tocchet doesn't trust Kuz, and Kuz won't do whats asked of him by the coaching staff, I don't see how he stays here.

Reactions: Nick Lang

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
solid post if we are discussing one game, but over time for me it's not even rational anymore. myers is always in the mix at key bad points in our games. it often is not his fault, but he's right there. i feel like at a deeper level the team is just out of synch with him on the ice and it shows up in unexpected ways. maybe other guys make mistakes because they are distracted by something myers did or did not do, or maybe they are just trying to hard too adapt to or allow for his style of play.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Myers decision are, at times, incredibly confounding, so it becomes almost impossible to rely or be confident on having any clue what he'll do in a given situation.

I've admired his skating stride as he's left his side of the ice to pursue the puck carrier, who's already being covered by two other players. Trying to adapt to that, when you're probably already not really confident with the defensive structure or systems, makes breakdowns inevitable.

As far as I've seen, which admittedly isn't a great deal away from the Canucks, he's played like this his whole career. I think he's just not intelligent enough to be anything but a bottom pairing, low minute player.

Still, one has to admit that he'll string together a series of games where he really does play well. Enough it seems, to keep earning him a lot of ice time and a ton of money. Such a frustrating player, and I wish he would go away, or that the coaches would stop thinking they can somehow fix his game.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Agreed, that's an awfully thin wing, but if Tocchet doesn't trust Kuz, and Kuz won't do whats asked of him by the coaching staff, I don't see how he stays here.
I think Kuz is definitely trying to do what he was told, but he's just not that kind of player. He's an offense-first, scoring winger. Trying to turn Kuzmenko into a two way player or puck retriever is like trying to do that to Panarin. It's not going to work. It's not his game.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I love 98% of what Tocchet has done here but the other 2% is how he’s pushed all the wrong buttons with Kuzmenko and turned him from an elite sniper who outscored his defensive issues to a caught-in-the-middle confidence-lacking shell of himself who looks terrified of making a mistake and then makes them anyway.
I think he positively impacts the PP, even when he's struggling everywhere else. He does kind of seem broken.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I think Kuz is definitely trying to do what he was told, but he's just not that kind of player. He's an offense-first, scoring winger. Trying to turn Kuzmenko into a two way player or puck retriever is like trying to do that to Panarin. It's not going to work. It's not his game.

That's fair. For the record I'm not saying that *I* think Kuz isn't trying to do what's being asked of him. I'm just interpreting how he's being treated, and then spoken about tonight as an indication that Tocchet feels like Kuz isn't doing whats being asked.

It's a shitty situation because I don't think Kuz is being utilized properly. But *if* the coach wants him out, I don't see how he stays.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I don't think he's being asked to be a two-way player, from Tocchet's comments I get the impression it's entirely to do with his systems play (i.e. forechecking). Going to the boards hard and pressuring defensemen is not something that will affect his offensive talent, and he doesn't have the positional smarts to force turnovers as a replacement for forechecking.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Tocchett said yesterday that if kuzmenko isn't scoring he needs to be doing the right things. He then said if you're scoring it's a little different and you can get away with missing assignments more.

So if he's not doing either well you can imagine tocchett is running out of patience.

But our shortfalls are coming from management not acquiring any legit depth on the right side. We lead the league in goals by a large margin.

Reactions: Flik

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Tocchet pulled a "Greener" last night and before the winning goal, when there was icing after icing, he did not have the presence of mind to use his timeout.

The players that were left out there were gassed.

Greener was a serial offender of this.

That was a Coaching mistake and Tocchet has made a couple in the past 10 games.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
JT showing again that he is the leader on the team. The Prince with another no show game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad