GM Ron Hextall (part 2)

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Here lies Ronald Hextall.
He had his dream job, kept it to himself, never won a thing besides a draft lottery, and lost the team money.

RMvDaq4.png

He will go down as one of the least successful GM's in our 50-year history.
When it comes to on ice achievement & results as GM, he is in the same elite company as Bob McCammon & Russ Farwell.

Flyguy1ca

Nov 25, 2017
He had his dream job, kept it to himself, never won a thing besides a draft lottery, and lost the team money.

RMvDaq4.png

When it comes to on ice achievement & results as GM, he is in the same elite company as Bob McCammon & Russ Farwell.

Which is a shame because hextall spent at least 3 years cleaning up the mess Holmgren left him with and people will remember Holmgren as being better than Hextall, which I don't believe for a second.

Reactions: captainpaxil

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the Flyers win a cup in the next five years, Hextall will get the lion's share of credit because his players will be the heart of that team.

He didn't win anything because that wasn't the object, the object was to build a team that could compete at a high level for a decade.

Hextall got fired before he reached the promise land, like Moses, he'll have to stand by the river and watch his people cross over. We just have to pray that Homer comes up with an Aaron.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
If the Flyers win a cup in the next five years, Hextall will get the lion's share of credit because his players will be the heart of that team.

He didn't win anything because that wasn't the object, the object was to build a team that could compete at a high level for a decade.

Hextall got fired before he reached the promise land, like Moses, he'll have to stand by the river and watch his people cross over. We just have to pray that Homer comes up with an Aaron.

Word was that Moses was also a ControlFreak... I believe had he bothered to listen to his People, they would not have had to roam the Desert for Forty Years before reaching his Promised Land.

You think Hextall would have had the Flyers in the NHL Bubble Desert for another Forty Years before their Promise Land?

...Asking for a Fan. :sarcasm:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
After 'mourning period' after departure, Ron Hextall moves...

“It was extremely difficult,” Hextall said. “I hate to even use this word, but there certainly was a mourning period. It was very surprising to me, I didn’t expect it whatsoever. I know our team was struggling and things weren’t going well. I know that. But we did have a long term vision and probably it was the last thing I expected. It certainly took me a long period of time to get over it. But I’m there now, and ready to move on.”

He continued: “I was stunned, make no mistake. We put a plan out there, and felt like, quite frankly, that we were going to see it through. So it took me a lot longer than maybe it should have. But like I said, we had a plan out there, were sticking to it, and felt like we trying to take the organization to good places. So, it was shocking what happened.”

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm glad he is finally over it but it's a shame that he really doesn't seem to recognized his flaws and what went wrong.
Yeah...reality is, him not being able to see and face his own issues caused him to get fired.

He needed to fire Hak and the other staff....wouldn't do it...Fletch did
We needed a C in 2018/19 season...didn't fill that hole....Fletch did
We needed a RHD who was better than Gudas....didn't fill that hole...Fletch did
We needed reliable goaltending....he doubled down on Elliott and Neuvy in 18/19....got 7 games out of Neuvirth

To me, these were the things he failed to do in summer 18 and led to him getting fired.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I’m enjoying this season a lot because of him and the players he drafted and developed. I also know I wouldn’t be enjoying this season if he were still here because he wouldn’t have signed Hayes and would’ve just replaced Patrick with Raffl as the 2C all season. Under his leadership they counted on so many guys for so long that are completely out of the league like Macdonald, Neuvirth, Vandevelde, Manning.

Overall he did a good job setting this team up for sustained success for a long time, But it was time to get going and I’m glad Chuck was smart enough to realize that the pieces were already in place and didn’t need to gut the place and bring in “his guys”

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'm glad he is finally over it but it's a shame that he really doesn't seem to recognize his flaws and what went wrong.

we were stuck in the mud for 5 years, really not showing improvement because he had that “long term vision”. Problem is he chose to overcook the prospects in the AHL. He thought signing these safe, cheap unskilled forwards every year was the right move along with keeping a idiot behind the bench
It was well past the time to move things forward and get things moving forward. Sure we get frustrated with some of the roster moves this season but I feel we are in a much better place with the kids then we were 1 year ago at this time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah...reality is, him not being able to see and face his own issues caused him to get fired.

He needed to fire Hak and the other staff....wouldn't do it...Fletch did
We needed a C in 2018/19 season...didn't fill that hole....Fletch did
We needed a RHD who was better than Gudas....didn't fill that hole...Fletch did
We needed reliable goaltending....he doubled down on Elliott and Neuvy in 18/19....got 7 games out of Neuvirth

To me, these were the things he failed to do in summer 18 and led to him getting fired.

Even with stuff that essentially cost him relatively nothing in assets or cap space Hextall was too complacent. He really never shuffled up the bottom of his lineups to see if something better would stick. He was content with the Chris VandeVelde’s of the world & essentially gave replacement players or worse long term staying power.

He was an awful in season general manager with managing his day to day rosters.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

RMvDaq4.png

I mean, there's context to this. He inherited a shell of a roster with no farm and left a stacked team and farm. Our success this season is more on Hextall than it is Fletch in my opinion.

I feel like Hextall deserved a year to show the effects of his hard work.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I mean, there's context to this. He inherited a shell of a roster with no farm and left a stacked team and farm. Our success this season is more on Hextall than it is Fletch in my opinion.

I feel like Hextall deserved a year to show the effects of his hard work.
Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds, B.Schenn and Gostisbehere is some shell of a roster.

Holmgren had some big issues at defense and the salary cap but let’s no act like the roster was a steaming pile of garbage with no talent that Hextall rose from the ashes.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
That is severely underrating the impact of Hayes, Niskanen, Braun, Pitlick, & Alain Vigneault.

Don’t get me wrong, Fletch has been good so far. But the core of this team is mostly Hex era players who he never really got the chance to see bloom into what he was going for.

Fletch walked into an amazing situation. A fanbase starved of success with W young team full of talent that needed a better coach and some vet talent to see it over the line into an amazing team. He’s done both of those quickly and effectively but the anchors of this team predate him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Don’t get me wrong, Fletch has been good so far. But the core of this team is mostly Hex era players who he never really got the chance to see bloom into what he was going for.

Fletch walked into an amazing situation. A fanbase starved of success with W young team full of talent that needed a better coach and some vet talent to see it over the line into an amazing team. He’s done both of those quickly and effectively but the anchors of this team predate him.

Prolly shouldn't have let his garbage coach hold them back then.

In Haks last game he scratched Lindblom for Lehtera and Sanheim was used as the 6D.

Hexy was a walking contradiction and ultimately, a failure.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds, B.Schenn and Gostisbehere is some shell of a roster.

Holmgren had some big issues at defense and the salary cap but let’s no act like the roster was a steaming pile of garbage with no talent that Hextall rose from the ashes.

We weren't Detroit level bad but all the talent we had was on the roster already and there was only the names mentioned above. The rest flat out dry heaved their way around the ice every night and there were no reinforcements coming. We needed a comprehensive rebuild from bottom to top. That takes time and Hex fell by being a little too patient.

Essentially someone else has walked into and taken Holmgren’s girl to the dance.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Prolly shouldn't have let his garbage coach hold them back then.

In Haks last game he scratched Lindblom for Lehtera and Sanheim was used as the 6D.

You won’t hear me defending his loyalty to Hak. He died on his own sword but let’s not build the narrative that he sucked. It’s his painstaking foundations that we now successfully built our house on.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I feel like we're back in the Hextall era right now with the Farabee/Frost/Hagg issues. Two prospects players blocked by 4th liners and Hagg stealing a spot from a far superior defensemen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You won’t hear me defending his loyalty to Hak. He died on his own sword but let’s not build the narrative that he sucked. It’s his painstaking foundations that we now successfully built our house on.

No one will ever take away credit for the job Hextall did stocking the cupboards...and contract extensions too.

Unfortunately, the job doesn't end there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall didn't "overcook" prospects, Provorov, TK and Patrick played at 19, Sanheim and Lindblom at 21. I mean you can't overcook guys like Weal and Leier.

Hextall also played a lot of scrubs because he didn't have the cap money for short-term signings and didn't want to waste future cap money on long-term signings, the one he did (Weise) didn't work out.

What Hextall did do is collect a lot of draft picks, and then drafted well for a number of years.

Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds, B. Schenn, Laughton, Hagg and Gostisbehere weren't nearly enough to build a winning team, as we've seen this year, you need a lot more players.
Simmonds fell off the cliff in 2018-19, Ghost can't stay healthy.
Schenn is a solid 2C, but we got Farabee and Frost, which will pay off for a decade.

Hextall drafted Provorov, Sanheim, Friedman, Kalynuk, signed Myers and Zamula, drafted TK, Lindblom, Patrick, NAK, Bunnaman, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov, Kase, etc.
We went from bottom five talent pipeline to top five talent pipeline in five years.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I feel like we're back in the Hextall era right now with the Farabee/Frost/Hagg issues. Two prospects players blocked by 4th liners and Hagg stealing a spot from a far superior defensemen.

Stopped reading after that. We aren't close to being that miserable lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad