GM Ron Hextall (part 2)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Question: Will there be any changes within the coaching staff?

Answer:
“The coaches will all be back. We’re still doing a little bit of evaluating on the entire organization, but yes (in the same roles). We’re not going to make a change to appease people because we’re suppose to. We’re going to make change to get better. We’re not going to do what makes us popular. I think Hak (Dave Hakstol) has done a really good job.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...lks-coaching-staff-free-agents-draft-and-more

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

Answer:
“The coaches will all be back. We’re still doing a little bit of evaluating on the entire organization, but yes (in the same roles). We’re not going to make a change to appease people because we’re suppose to. We’re going to make change to get better. We’re not going to do what makes us popular. I think Hak (Dave Hakstol) has done a really good job.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...lks-coaching-staff-free-agents-draft-and-more

just plain old UGH....

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

Answer:

That was late April. And, reflecting on the headline Ron: yeah, they did need to get better. But they got worse. So what are you gonna do about it?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Has Pittsburgh fired Sullivan yet? St Louis Yeo? Vegas Gallant?

Even if Hextall were going to fire Hakstol, he wouldn't do it off 20 games.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I can't speak to how anyone is playing, as I have only watched half a game this year, but the further along we get into this rebuild the more I come to believe that Hextall will not be the one to take this team to a championship. He has stocked the cupboards and collected the assets that will allow someone else to put together a championship team but his old boys club loyalty and nepotism in spite of everything that happens has made his drafting, trading, and signings irrelevant as long as he remains.

You can't only build through the draft, there will be holes that need to be filled through trades, this is crunch time for him. The team should have enough talent to compete, and with all the picks and prospects he hss collected he should be able to add to the team right now. If we go into next season with the same roster minus one veteran and plus one rookie, with Hakstol still at the helm it will have been another year wasted. At some point you have to say that he has had his chance and it is time to move on.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not if the roster continues improving as it has been. That's what's most important. A coaching change is a quick thing to fix, but building a roster is much more difficult and that's been done mostly right so far.

It's too risky to get a new GM and HOPE he's better with coaching hires and HOPE he's as good at the roster rebuild, because most aren't. Look around the league at other GMs... how often are we making fun of them for stupid trades, signings, or draft selections. The fact that we rarely have to worry about that is huge for the future of this team. It's too risky to fire him and hope we'd be able to find a new GM who does everything the way we want because how many GM's do?

Hakstol's a massive problem and Hextall deserves a ton of criticism for that, same with the PK and goaltending, but we need to look at the bigger picture here and prioritize.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Has Pittsburgh fired Sullivan yet? St Louis Yeo? Vegas Gallant?

Even if Hextall were going to fire Hakstol, he wouldn't do it off 20 games.
Yeo has been fired and replaced by Berube on an interim basis. I bet they are going to attempt to lure Q back.
This is great just because. Not that I wanted to see Yeo fired, I have no horse in that race. But just the fact our resident contrarian made a bold statement, and to see it age so horribly, so fast. Thank you Blues organization. First your GM came out and said something truthful to the fans last season about needing to be better, making changes, what was and wasn't acceptable. And to follow it up this year, the coach was fired, in short order after a missive post.

Gallant and Sullivan are very unlike Yeo. The first two have had (recent) playoff success, the later even winning two Cups. Yeo, like Hakstol, has routinely provided little to answer the proverbial question, "What have you done for me lately?"

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Not if the roster continues improving as it has been. That's what's most important. A coaching change is a quick thing to fix, but building a roster is much more difficult and that's been done mostly right so far.

It's too risky to get a new GM and HOPE he's better with coaching hires and HOPE he's as good at the roster rebuild, because most aren't. Look around the league at other GMs... how often are we making fun of them for stupid trades, signings, or draft selections. The fact that we rarely have to worry about that is huge for the future of this team. It's too risky to fire him and hope we'd be able to find a new GM who does everything the way we want because how many GM's do?

Hakstol's a massive problem and Hextall deserves a ton of criticism for that, same with the PK and goaltending, but we need to look at the bigger picture here and prioritize.

At some point the roster/depth chart on paper have to convert into a proper real-world product on the ice.

If ownership ever come to the conclusion that Ron Hextall is not the right man in charge to go the second half of the way, they will not hesitate to replace him.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

Yes, which is why if Hextall fires Lappy and Hak at the end of the year I will be back on the Hextall train, but it has been years now with these two where it should have been apparent that they arent going to cut it. Hakstol is pushing the teams window further in the future as well with his fear of giving young kids significant time. Even Knoblauch seems incredibly mediocre. Yes Hextall has done lots very well, but its irrelevant if he cant make good personnel hires.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin Updated graphic of games coached please. Thank you very much.

Also Fire BeetFarmer

uR0osEF.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't speak to how anyone is playing, as I have only watched half a game this year, but the further along we get into this rebuild the more I come to believe that Hextall will not be the one to take this team to a championship. He has stocked the cupboards and collected the assets that will allow someone else to put together a championship team but his old boys club loyalty and nepotism in spite of everything that happens has made his drafting, trading, and signings irrelevant as long as he remains.

You can't only build through the draft, there will be holes that need to be filled through trades, this is crunch time for him. The team should have enough talent to compete, and with all the picks and prospects he hss collected he should be able to add to the team right now. If we go into next season with the same roster minus one veteran and plus one rookie, with Hakstol still at the helm it will have been another year wasted. At some point you have to say that he has had his chance and it is time to move on.

He's Ed Wade 2.0.

We need our Pat Gillick.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Such children, no ability to delay gratification.

Hextall is happy with Hakstol because when you're adding a lot of young players as the Flyers have done the past two years and will do so the next couple years, structure and discipline are important. Fans may whine, but the evidence is clear, young prospects are developing, and developing solid two way games.

Ghost is off this year, but my suspicion is that it's physical, because last year he became a complete defenseman and I haven't seen regression, rather, he's struggling with beating pressure and not as aggressive (less confidence in his legs).

TK is a better player this year, despite his shooting drought, he's a more complete two way forward putting up great advanced metrics.

Provorov is struggling with a bigger load as the puck carrier on his pair, but that's part of development, where Ghost had to learn to play defense, Provorov is learning to add offensive skills, hey, he's all of 21.

Lindblom and Patrick are clearly making progress, Laughton has become a solid forechecking center and PK leader.
Hagg has taken his game up a notch this year, learning when to take chances in the O-zone and a little better passing out of the D-zone.
Sanheim has improved, still can be shaky in his D-zone but more confident in the neutral and O-zone.

As long as prospects improve, and develop as complete players, I'm happy.
Because I don't want a repeat of this decade, where you sneak into the playoffs then get smoked, even Lavi's 2011-12 playoff team was marginal.
If you want a top team, you need depth, not just a few stars (see Toronto go one and out two years in a row).
To have depth, you have to draft and develop a lot of prospects.
Once you have depth established, then you can wheel and deal to rearrange the roster for better balance.

When the rebuild is complete, Hakstol will either be winning playoff games or another HC will in his place.
It's far easier to replace a HC than to build a deep roster and talent pipeline that allows sustained excellence.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad