GM Ron Hextall (part 2)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hextalls tenure
Year 1&2
Traded Hartnell for Umberger+4th(Wagner flipped for Vorobyev+Salintri…who was not signed)
Traded McGinn for a 3rd(Sandstrom)…McGinn waived by SJ months later
Signed MDZ
Signed Schultz
Signed White
Signed Bellemare
Signed VDV
Traded Coburn for 1st, 3rd(Tomek) + Gudas=Got Konecky by moving up
Traded Timonen for 2 2nd rounders = used 1 pick to move up for Konecny, the other for Allison
Signed Danick Martel for free=QMJHL 2nd leading scorer...worth a shot…later lost to waivers
Traded Rinaldo for 3rd(Ustimenko) Rinaldo later waived
Traded Grossmann + Pronger for Gagner + 4th(traded to NYI for 4th in 2017…then used in package for Ratcliffe)
Signed Medvedev=a good KHL player for free…didn't work out
Signed Neuvirth for free=shored up the backup G situation for the next 2 years then resigned for 2 more years
Fired Berube…Flyers fans rejoice
Hired Hakstol
Signed Marti
Signed Bardreau
Signed undrafted 6'5 RHD Philip Myers for free…QMJHL All Star 2016, WJC as well
Traded Vinny and LSchenn for Weal + 3rd(Twarynski)
Signed top College FA G Lyon for free
Added Goalie Coach Brady Robinson
Added AHL coach Scott Gordon
Oversaw 2 drafts and had these 7 guys at the WJC this year(2015/16):
Provorov: named CHL Dman of the year…now in NHL
Sanheim: highest PPG in the WHL in 20 years for a Dman, Now in NHL
Konecny: great draft+1 season…now in NHL
Lindblom: highest scoring U20 in SHL, SHL Forward of the year, now in NHL
Fazleev: over PPG in WHL, now in AHL
Sandstrom: made WJC multiple times, Named top Goalie at WJC…still in SHL
Kase: Over PPG in MH...made WJC multiple times…now in AHL
Plus drafted:
Aube Kubel: over PPG in QMJHL…now in AHL…top ES scorer
Friedman: WCHA All Star Dman…now in AHL
Tomek: injured all season, made WJC…now in USHL…looking like a bust
Dove McFalls: poor pick...not signed
Vorobyov: Was #1C at WJC for Russia….now in AHL
Marody:traded for a 3rd in 2019
Fedotov: long term G prospect…in VHL
Pettersson: played in AHL, then back to SHL
Year 3
Drafted in 2016:
Rubstov: made WJC….now in AHL
Laberge: CHL All Star Game MVP…not playing to expectations…Hurt this year
Hart: 2 time CHL goalie of the Year….WJC goalie and gold winner…AHL now
Allison: USHL Playoff MVP, great start to season, got hurt…college again
Twarynski: great season…AHL
Bunnaman: Captain Dave Poulin's obsession
Hogberg: SHL regular, WJC player
Laczynski: Made WJC, had great season…college again
Salinitri: not signed
Bernhardt: Made WJC, SHL regular
Signed Weise
Signed Gordon…waived
Added Huffman to handle the D in AHL
Signed AHL players in Brennan, O'Neill, and Miele
Signed Lyubimov…did not work out
Traded Streit for Filppula+4th(Sushko)+7th(Kalynuk)
Signed Vecchione as a UFA College player, in AHL
Named Kris Knoblauch assistant coach
Year 4
Traded Cousins+Madsen for Warren+5th(Wylie)
Traded B Schenn for 2 1st rounders-Frost+ 1st(Farabee)
Re-Signed Weal
Re-signed Neuvirth
Signed Elliott
Signed Varone for AHL
Signed Irving then traded him for Tokarski
Drafted in 2017:
Patrick: Now in NHL
Frost: tore up the OHL
Ratcliffe: Traded 3 picks for him: Westerlund+Schnarr+Hoefenmayer
Ustimenko: good MHL season
Strome: over PPG in OHL
Sushko: PPG in OHL
Cates: good USHL season
Lycksell: good SHL season
Kalynuk: good college season
Traded 3rd in 2018(Seth Barton) for Mrazek
Claimed Oduya off waivers while losing Alt to waivers
Year 5
Drafted in 2018
Farabee
O'Brien
Ginning
St.Ivany
Wylie
Ersson
Hain
Westfalt
Signed JVR
Signed Folin
Signed Zumula
Nov 26th 2018 Hextall Fired
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Obviously I stopped updating the progress of guys awhile ago

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Homer? He came before Hextall?

Hexy did a tremendous job! Loved the rebuild. But I disagree which part is harder. I’m really not sure. Is it managing with no expectations and building picks and space or finalizing the job using that space and finding the right staff to cross the finish line first?

He wasn’t being judged on his fa signings by me and many on this board. Just the purge. If he were, the amac, Manning, vdv, weise, weal, goaltending etc. signinings/resigning would have been judged in the way ultimately team management did. Not to mention being coach stubborn.

1) I'm aware. Homer, like Fletch, came into a situation where he had tons of cap to play with. Hextall had to clean up his mess. Homer didn't even have to "clean up" anything Clarkey had done since those contracts just expired essentially.

2) It's harder to do what Hextall did and draft the right guys. It's one thing to just sell, but it's another to sell and rebuild right. He rebuilt right. Those guys you're mentioning were place-holders AT BEST - not long term part of the plan.

3) He definitely was being judged by his pro-talent evaluation. I mean you just named several of them and critiqued him on it - how can you say he wasn't judged by that?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Canes got a 1st for buying out Marleau, then traded it for Skjei.

Thanks for fixing a division rival's upcoming cap problems. :huh:

Feb 24, 2020
Carolina Hurricanes Acquire:
carolina_hurricanes.svg

Brady Skjei
New York Rangers Acquire:
new_york_rangers.svg

2020 conditional 1st round pick* (CAR)
*Conditions: NY Rangers will receive the later (or lower) of either the Carolina or Toronto 2020 1st round picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This trade made no sense to me. Don't forget they also acquired injured Sami Vatanen for some reason.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This team is the work of three GMs. I'm comfortable giving 40-40 credit to Homer/Hex, and 20% to Fletcher at this point.

Would you be willing to explain the 40 percent to Homer? (just curiosity)

I admit that I probably would go 30 Homer - 55 Hextall - 15 Fletch, but I'm a Hexy guy.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
1) I'm aware. Homer, like Fletch, came into a situation where he had tons of cap to play with. Hextall had to clean up his mess. Homer didn't even have to "clean up" anything Clarkey had done since those contracts just expired essentially.

2) It's harder to do what Hextall did and draft the right guys. It's one thing to just sell, but it's another to sell and rebuild right. He rebuilt right. Those guys you're mentioning were place-holders AT BEST - not long term part of the plan.

3) He definitely was being judged by his pro-talent evaluation. I mean you just named several of them and critiqued him on it - how can you say he wasn't judged by that?

He was by management ultimately. Not by me. Mine is revisionary history. I admit that. Place holders that ere resigned for several years? Weise and amac are under contract this year.
And I’m still not sure which is easier.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
He was by management ultimately. Not by me. Mine is revisionary history. I admit that. Place holders that ere resigned for several years? Weise and amac are under contract this year.
And I’m still not sure which is easier.

Well McDonald was re-signed by Homer as GM, not Hextall.

Weise was signed for multiple years but again that was revisionist history -- at the time, it was unanimously considered a good signing.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
Hextalls tenure
Year 1&2
Traded Hartnell for Umberger+4th(Wagner flipped for Vorobyev+Salintri…who was not signed)
Traded McGinn for a 3rd(Sandstrom)…McGinn waived by SJ months later
Signed MDZ
Signed Schultz
Signed White
Signed Bellemare
Signed VDV
Traded Coburn for 1st, 3rd(Tomek) + Gudas=Got Konecky by moving up
Traded Timonen for 2 2nd rounders = used 1 pick to move up for Konecny, the other for Allison
Signed Danick Martel for free=QMJHL 2nd leading scorer...worth a shot…later lost to waivers
Traded Rinaldo for 3rd(Ustimenko) Rinaldo later waived
Traded Grossmann + Pronger for Gagner + 4th(traded to NYI for 4th in 2017…then used in package for Ratcliffe)
Signed Medvedev=a good KHL player for free…didn't work out
Signed Neuvirth for free=shored up the backup G situation for the next 2 years then resigned for 2 more years
Fired Berube…Flyers fans rejoice
Hired Hakstol
Signed Marti
Signed Bardreau
Signed undrafted 6'5 RHD Philip Myers for free…QMJHL All Star 2016, WJC as well
Traded Vinny and LSchenn for Weal + 3rd(Twarynski)
Signed top College FA G Lyon for free
Added Goalie Coach Brady Robinson
Added AHL coach Scott Gordon
Oversaw 2 drafts and had these 7 guys at the WJC this year(2015/16):
Provorov: named CHL Dman of the year…now in NHL
Sanheim: highest PPG in the WHL in 20 years for a Dman, Now in NHL
Konecny: great draft+1 season…now in NHL
Lindblom: highest scoring U20 in SHL, SHL Forward of the year, now in NHL
Fazleev: over PPG in WHL, now in AHL
Sandstrom: made WJC multiple times, Named top Goalie at WJC…still in SHL
Kase: Over PPG in MH...made WJC multiple times…now in AHL
Plus drafted:
Aube Kubel: over PPG in QMJHL…now in AHL…top ES scorer
Friedman: WCHA All Star Dman…now in AHL
Tomek: injured all season, made WJC…now in USHL…looking like a bust
Dove McFalls: poor pick...not signed
Vorobyov: Was #1C at WJC for Russia….now in AHL
Marody:traded for a 3rd in 2019
Fedotov: long term G prospect…in VHL
Pettersson: played in AHL, then back to SHL
Year 3
Drafted in 2016:
Rubstov: made WJC….now in AHL
Laberge: CHL All Star Game MVP…not playing to expectations…Hurt this year
Hart: 2 time CHL goalie of the Year….WJC goalie and gold winner…AHL now
Allison: USHL Playoff MVP, great start to season, got hurt…college again
Twarynski: great season…AHL
Bunnaman: Captain Dave Poulin's obsession
Hogberg: SHL regular, WJC player
Laczynski: Made WJC, had great season…college again
Salinitri: not signed
Bernhardt: Made WJC, SHL regular
Signed Weise
Signed Gordon…waived
Added Huffman to handle the D in AHL
Signed AHL players in Brennan, O'Neill, and Miele
Signed Lyubimov…did not work out
Traded Streit for Filppula+4th(Sushko)+7th(Kalynuk)
Signed Vecchione as a UFA College player, in AHL
Named Kris Knoblauch assistant coach
Year 4
Traded Cousins+Madsen for Warren+5th(Wylie)
Traded B Schenn for 2 1st rounders-Frost+ 1st(Farabee)
Re-Signed Weal
Re-signed Neuvirth
Signed Elliott
Signed Varone for AHL
Signed Irving then traded him for Tokarski
Drafted in 2017:
Patrick: Now in NHL
Frost: tore up the OHL
Ratcliffe: Traded 3 picks for him: Westerlund+Schnarr+Hoefenmayer
Ustimenko: good MHL season
Strome: over PPG in OHL
Sushko: PPG in OHL
Cates: good USHL season
Lycksell: good SHL season
Kalynuk: good college season
Traded 3rd in 2018(Seth Barton) for Mrazek
Claimed Oduya off waivers while losing Alt to waivers
Year 5
Drafted in 2018
Farabee
O'Brien
Ginning
St.Ivany
Wylie
Ersson
Hain
Westfalt
Signed JVR
Signed Folin
Signed Zumula
Nov 26th 2018 Hextall Fired
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Obviously I stopped updating the progress of guys awhile ago

Favorite part of all this is seeing the picks (especially the later ones) he acquired in several, several trades over the years that are now current prospects.

Reactions: Tripod

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Us in 2020: "Man I love this team. I'm so happy and content as a Flyers fan"

::article posted about Hextall as GM::

Also Us: "F*** YOU, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT WHY DIDN'T HE FIRE HAKSTOL THAT POMPOUS SOB"

...Man, we're a polarizing bunch

Reactions: Rebels57

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Well McDonald was re-signed by Homer as GM, not Hextall.

Weise was signed for multiple years but again that was revisionist history -- at the time, it was unanimously considered a good signing.
As we have found out Hextall knew he was becoming gm and handled the negotiations with amac solely.
I’m a Hextall guy also. I just always think many think it’s easier finishing up. I do not. That person is ultimately judged on one thing. . . Winning a cup.

You have the luxury of missing with some bullets in the draft if you have a lot of them. Even if you’re the guy that put them there. Finishing up you have a much smaller margin for error. My opinion.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Would you be willing to explain the 40 percent to Homer? (just curiosity)

I admit that I probably would go 30 Homer - 55 Hextall - 15 Fletch, but I'm a Hexy guy.

The sheer importance of Couturier and Voracek boosts the percentage for me, in particular Couturier. Raffl seems to be in decline but is still a vital cog in developing a strong bottom six, as is Laughton. It's been a lost year, but Ghost is damned solid.

As Hextall's draft picks settle in more I'll be adjusting that of course. And we'll see how Fletcher pans out.

Technically I should be giving Clarke credit for Giroux. But that may have been all Homer at that point behind the scenes. I'm not sure so I'm not really including him too much in Homer's corner, but at the same time I kind of am.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That’s not true.

I was on board with it as a White replacement. Then the terms were announced. And I did not like it. And I wasn’t the only one.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Before I type the rest, I'll start out with saying that Hextall definitely deserved to be fired because Hakstol was a disaster and Hextall simply refused to fire him long after it was clear he had to, so I'm not defending him here and he has absolutely zero impact on my critiques of the current staff.

But I seem to view Hextall more favorably, relative to most others on this board, because I value a lot of the things he did for the teams future with more way weight than the mistakes he made with the coaching and patience. The things I viewed as most important were things I think he mostly did right.

The patience was excessive and the coaching situation was a disaster but those were temporary issues, while the fixed cap situation (which is why were even able to add players this year) and the drafting (not just the picks that were made but also the focus on drafting and the gathering of picks) were obviously things that were going to have a massive impact on our future.

They were frustrating and miserable years but there was a light at the end of the tunnel... which is where we are now.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That’s not true.

I was on board with it as a White replacement. Then the terms were announced. And I did not like it. And I wasn’t the only one.

As far as your comments, you were fairly neutral in the signing thread about his salary or term. You just agreed he was an upgrade. Perhaps you voiced it elsewhere or once the season began, but I don't want to spend all day researching a random opinion so here's what I've got.

I'm going to miss White, especially after the effort he gave in the playoffs this season.

But Weise should be a bit of an upgrade.

I'm skeptical that White ever was really Hextall's preference. I think he preferred Weise (as the faster and better player) and Gordon (for better upgrading faceoffs and the PK).

If he really wanted White, he wouldn't have balked at giving him only 50k more than Gordon.

For the general HF opinions, this thread is generally more in-favor of the signing than against it:
Confirmed Signing with Link: - [PHI] Dale Weise (4 Years, $2.35M AAV)

So I'll re-phrase...

At the time, it was generally considered a good signing rather than a bad signing.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The sheer importance of Couturier and Voracek boosts the percentage for me, in particular Couturier. Raffl seems to be in decline but is still a vital cog in developing a strong bottom six, as is Laughton. It's been a lost year, but Ghost is damned solid.

As Hextall's draft picks settle in more I'll be adjusting that of course. And we'll see how Fletcher pans out.

Technically I should be giving Clarke credit for Giroux. But that may have been all Homer at that point behind the scenes. I'm not sure so I'm not really including him too much in Homer's corner, but at the same time I kind of am.

This is actually something I was wondering about -- I have to say G has to go to Clarkey I think (even though there's damning evidence to imply he didn't choose him aka he didn't remember Claude's freaking name at the podium)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
As far as your comments, you were fairly neutral in the signing thread about his salary or term. You just agreed he was an upgrade. Perhaps you voiced it elsewhere or once the season began, but I don't want to spend all day researching a random opinion so here's what I've got.

For the general HF opinions, this thread is generally more in-favor of the signing than against it:
Confirmed Signing with Link: - [PHI] Dale Weise (4 Years, $2.35M AAV)

So I'll re-phrase...

At the time, it was generally considered a good signing rather than a bad signing.

As I said, my thoughts changed when the term & AAV were announced.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Trading Schenn for futures was a great move, but if he knew that the team wasn't going into compete mode soon why did he hold onto simmonds when his value was sky high? It feels like he only half commited to the rebuild, and because of it we got pennies on the dollar for simmonds.

Don't even get me started on going into the 2018/2019 season with a goaltending duo of Elliot and Neuvirth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad