GM Game 5 Discussion Thread

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
One thing I will say is that at least we didn’t have any teams making ridiculous moves like we used to see with these games back in the day(Chicago/Pittsburgh blowing it up in the middle of their primes). All the teams that sold off we’re at least teams that could realistically do so.
...so I shouldn't trade Eichel next game?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
One thing I will say is that at least we didn’t have any teams making ridiculous moves like we used to see with these games back in the day(Chicago/Pittsburgh blowing it up in the middle of their primes). All the teams that sold off we’re at least teams that could realistically do so.
The teams who sold did so excessively (owners don't even like to miss the playoffs once due to revenues), and Calgary blowing up isn't realistic.

But yeah, game was fine.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Pretty happy with my rebuild and still have a high first in 2021 plus 9 second rounders in the 2021 + 2022. Still need to fix goal tending though

E6D64480-43B5-4CAD-A6EF-8DB370941530.jpeg

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Well that's actually something that could happen given Eichel's apparent discontent. Trading MacKinnon or Matthews would be a lot more ridiculous.
Imagine a game where agents not only handled free agents, but imposed demands from their players to GMs that had to be met.

e.g. Eichel demands out! Weber and Price demand playoffs!

Reactions: hockeynorth and OB5

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
TRAAAADE!

Probably an overpayment but my team is amazing now.

:avs Brendan Gallagher (50% retained — 1.875 mil) + Jeff Petry (50% retained — 2.75 mil)

:habs Bowen Byram, Alex Newhook, Connor Timmins, 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd

Traaaade:

:avs
Jonathan Toews

:hawks
2020 1st, 2021 1st, 2022 1st, Martin Kaut, JT Compher and Ian Cole

Confirm and..

:canes

Jordan Eberle (2.750M retained)
Leo Komarov

:isles

Martin Necas
CAR 2020 3rd

@Panda Bear

:edmonton
2020 4th round pick (from SJS)

:flames
Dmitri Samorukov
James Neal
Mikko Koskinen

:ducks receives:
Patrick Hornqvist
Jared McCann
Pierre Oliver Joseph
2020 3rd

:pens receives:
Adam Henrique
2022 5th

@Magic Mittens

NJD acquires VGK Brayden McNabb for future considerations.

Trade!

To:habs
2023 STL 2nd
Nikita Alexandrov
Alex Steen

To :blues
Future considerations.

Happy to add a vet like Steen to mentor the youth, get me above the cap floor and get two solid futures for one year of his contract.

:ducks:
Future Considerations

:sens:
Erik Gudbranson @ 50% retention

NYI sends Leddy and a 2021 3rd to CGY for future considerations.

@SJSharks39

Big trade!

Roope Hintz
Denis Gurianov
Jake Oettinger
Jason Robertson
2021 2nd
2022 1st
2022 2nd
2023 1st

:stars
Patrick Kane @ 50%

Sacrificing the teams future, and was very hard to give up Hintz and Gury, but adding Kane will help this team become a top contender in the west

@flyersdad

Rangers trade Brendan Smith, K'Andre Miller, and their 2021 3rd for future considerations to the Ottawa Senators.

:sens

Olli Maatta, Drake Caggilu, 2021 2nd (CHI), 2021 3rd (CHI)

Future Consideration

@flyersdad

:ducks2 makes a big trade and lands:
Jack Johnson
John Marino

:pensgets:
Danton Heinen

:sens

MA Fleury, 2021 2nd (NJD)

:vegas

Future Consideration

Thank you @Llamamoto for the quick and painless negotiations. Fleury is now available for a draft pick/prospect at 50% retention.

To:cbj
Leo Komarov

To :habs
Future considerations

:ducks

Petr Mrazek
Anttoni Honka

:canes

Future Considerations

@hockeynorth

:caps

Anze Kopitar 50% retained

:kings

2021 WAS 1st, 2021 TOR 1st, 2022 WAS 1st, 2021 TOR 2nd, 2022 WAS 2nd, 2022 TOR 2nd, Richard Panik

Extremely hefty price, but Kuzy - Backstrom - Kopitar down the middle was too enticing. (Plus, Carolina and Colorado forced my hand)...

TRAAAAAAAADE:

:avsAlexander Ovechkin, Lars Eller, Richard Panik and Martin Fehérváry

:caps Brendan Gallagher, Gabriel Landeskog, Valeri Nichuskin, Nikita Zadorov, Shane Bowers

:isles

Anton Stralman
FLA 2nd ‘21
PIT 2nd ‘21

:panthers

Future Considerations

@Panda Bear

Florida signs Chris Tanev to a 4 year, $16M contract.

Just so everyone has an idea about trades that I'd consider possible veto worthy. Most of them were just because of the Future Considerations (at least give them a conditional pick). Some of them worse than others and some are borderline, but all the Future Considerations went into this.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The future considerations part could just be filled by some garbage AHL'er that is under contract, that's usually how those trades happen in the NHL anyway due to roster limits.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The future considerations part could just be filled by some garbage AHL'er that is under contract, that's usually how those trades happen in the NHL anyway due to roster limits.
Yep I agree. Conditional pick, Ahler with no future, etc. works. You’ll notice the Komarov scoring 50 goals trade isn’t there. :laugh:

Reactions: BeLeafing

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Imagine a game where agents not only handled free agents, but imposed demands from their players to GMs that had to be met.

e.g. Eichel demands out! Weber and Price demand playoffs!

That would be an interesting little side piece to these games, giving teams certain directives. I think for the most part the clear contenders and clear bottom feeders are well known, ie: Washington/Tampa shouldn't rebuild and Ottawa/Detroit aren't going to contend anytime soon. But there are quite a few teams out there, such as Nashville, Calgary, Minnesota etc that could go either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad