GM Game 5 Discussion Thread

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
If you don't know a player, I suggest looking them up on a combination of moneypuck/Hockeyviz/PuckIQ/naturalstattrick.

If you don't do that, then you're going to ding me for Dean Kukan instead of giving me lavish praise for prying him away for a 5th round pick.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
If you don't know a player, I suggest looking them up on a combination of moneypuck/Hockeyviz/PuckIQ/naturalstattrick.

If you don't do that, then you're going to ding me for Dean Kukan instead of giving me lavish praise for prying him away for a 5th round pick.
It wasn’t prying. I’m not an analytics nut and practically gave him away. Sucks to get beat, but it’ll be my reminder that if Panda wants someone it’s because he has good analytical numbers.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It wasn’t prying. I’m not an analytics nut and practically gave him away. Sucks to get beat, but it’ll be my reminder that if Panda wants someone it’s because he has good analytical numbers.
Never trade with Panda without asking for ++ of what he’s offering

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
giphy.gif

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’ll be getting the next game Sign ups going later today. There will be a Seattle expansion draft, there will be required 23 man roster, and there will be more active vetoing to prevent really unrealistic trades (see COL/WSH Ovechkin deal). The way the veto process will work is there are 3 people who will vote on the trade to be vetoed if 2/3 say veto its dead. If 2/3 say good, trade goes through. Everything else will be the same. You can start PMing me teams. If you’d like Seattle, let me know but also send three other teams. I’m assuming a lot of people will want Seattle so there will be a draw for it.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
A quick look at the rosters shows me exactly why I sat out of this game. The trades are so unrealistic with teams either spending their entire future for assets now or vice versa. The Avs trading Byram, Newhook, and 3 1sts for Ovechkin, Tatar, and Petry is LOL-worthy for example.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
A quick look at the rosters shows me exactly why I sat out of this game. The trades are so unrealistic with teams either spending their entire future for assets now or vice versa. The Avs trading Byram, Newhook, and 3 1sts for Ovechkin, Tatar, and Petry is LOL-worthy for example.
Yeah I wasn’t on all the time with trades and by the time I got on, half the pieces were moved in another deal. That’s the point of the veto panel next game. You should join the next one.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah I wasn’t on all the time with trades and by the time I got on, half the pieces were moved in another deal. That’s the point of the veto panel next game. You should join the next one.
Maybe. I do like the veto panel idea.

I'll join if the Oilers are available, but I think Llama's going to take them.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
A free for all was fun but I think the next one should try to stay in the realm of reality

I don’t like suggesting it because these games are just for fun, but one way to create more realism would be to limit the amount of trades teams are allowed to make. Would force GM’s to be more selective with their moves instead of just flying off the handle.

Reactions: OB5

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don’t like suggesting it because these games are just for fun, but one way to create more realism would be to limit the amount of trades teams are allowed to make. Would force GM’s to be more selective with their moves instead of just flying off the handle.
But it’s over the course of a whole season, I.e I think Anaheim made twelve trades, but imagine 3 are at the draft, 2 throughout season, 1 in FA and 5 at TDL and I made one or two minor league deals, it doesn’t seem so bad

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
But it’s over the course of a whole season, I.e I think Anaheim made twelve trades, but imagine 3 are at the draft, 2 throughout season, 1 in FA and 5 at TDL and I made one or two minor league deals, it doesn’t seem so bad

Yea I really think it’s just the overtly ridiculous trades that will hopefully be weeded out via the veto process next game. It’s hard to limit trades too as there are a lot of crucial minor cap trades that are necessary.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Yea I really think it’s just the overtly ridiculous trades that will hopefully be weeded out via the veto process next game. It’s hard to limit trades too as there are a lot of crucial minor cap trades that are necessary.
Agreed and for example I took my AHL teams seriously so then more trades of course, ridiculous trades getting veto'd is smart

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One thing I will say is that at least we didn’t have any teams making ridiculous moves like we used to see with these games back in the day(Chicago/Pittsburgh blowing it up in the middle of their primes). All the teams that sold off we’re at least teams that could realistically do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad