GM Game 5 Discussion Thread

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Also the trades actually seem to have reasoning this game, you have to remember you're supposed to imagine these spread over 12 months not one day.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Boston is a perennial contender, Detroit hasn’t been good in five years and is coming off a dreadful season. Apples to oranges.
Had a lot more to do with Bergeron's contract setting the bar than the 'perennial contender' stuff.

You really think Yzerman's going to be throwing around money like that?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Had a lot more to do with Bergeron's contract setting the bar than the 'perennial contender' stuff.

What was Pastas top season at time of signing?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I was talking about Mantha's contract demands.
Oh, I'm aware. And I've explained the logic. Unless Detroit locks him up for the full seven or eight year term, no chance Yzerman pays him $7m.

4 x $6.8m.....show me some comparables. I gave you Larkin. The teammate who's a center, has better production, plays all situations and signed for $6.1m x 5.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I think it'll have a massive impact. I think we'll see teams signing shorter deals because there's no guarantee the cap goes up significantly bend those three years.

Planning for three years of payroll is chaotic enough on it's own considering you have to leave room for ELC raises. I don't see teams--particularly ones like Detroit--frivolously throwing around dollars in an uncertain cap situation.

Detroit is probably the last team that needs to worry about squeezing every last dollar from their guys. Even with ELC raises they won't have issues in the next 3+ years baring multiple massive breakouts.

But regardless Mantha is the guy you pay the extra 1M to, he's more than worth it and it's not an over payment. I'll give you the PLD comment though, I think that deal is about 1M short as well.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Oh right 70 in 75, with 2 sub 30 point seasons prior, or 0.933 ppg in contract year, too bad Mantha only had 0.88 ppg this year, 3 seasons later, on a worse team, with better seasons prior. If only he was 0.05 ppg higher.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Players will accept less to keep championship teams together, it’s common practice. Why would Mantha be eager to take less than he potentially could make? To keep the juggernaut Red Wings together?

Curious, did you at least offer Mantha $6.1M over three years to match the remaining term of Larkin’s contract?

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Toronto will package all future picks for the best player sub 2M available. PM me who you can move. We will pay the price to go for it.

Also moving Justin Holl for best offer if someone wants a rd

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You mean the 3rd highest paid guy on his team?
I mean the guy who mean's the most to his team. The perennial Selke candidate. The guy who Pastrnak relied heavily on for the production he supplied walking into those negotiations.

Mantha's in the same boat, except his production this far hasn't been that significant. Larkin is the significantly better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad