GM Game #3 by TP, RR, and IR

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I'm in, as always - most important thing is to have UFA agents established before we start. If people can handle that, let's get it out there

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
CTG is back!

velhas-aplaudindo-o.gif

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Lets get this going before all the players get traded/signed IRL!

What do our resident Sens and Leafs fans think of todays blockbuster?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Here still.

As a Leafs fan I am ok with it. Phaneuf's value as a player is higher IMO, but I think that contract is going to be rough in the last couple years. Cowen still is young enough to turn things around, but I am not holding my breath.

Overall, I think that the Sens got a good deal for the time being, but it really comes down to how well Dion will play in what seems to be a less structured system.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto

I'm fine with it. I'm hoping Cowen turns into something, I think he may surprise.... he was in a really negative situation in Ottawa where he totally lost his confidence. It wasn't be accident he got that 3.1M$ contract - I think Babcock could certainly turn him into a serviceable player.

From Ottawa's perspective, I think it definitely addresses a big need for them. They've offloaded some dead weight in terms of Greening and Michalek, so it makes some financial sense for them. They're aiming for the playoffs, Dion is a legit #3 defenceman on most teams. He will likely surprise a lot of people, but the thing is he likely won't be that in a few years.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I'm fine with it. I'm hoping Cowen turns into something, I think he may surprise.... he was in a really negative situation in Ottawa where he totally lost his confidence. It wasn't be accident he got that 3.1M$ contract - I think Babcock could certainly turn him into a serviceable player.

From Ottawa's perspective, I think it definitely addresses a big need for them. They've offloaded some dead weight in terms of Greening and Michalek, so it makes some financial sense for them. They're aiming for the playoffs, Dion is a legit #3 defenceman on most teams. He will likely surprise a lot of people, but the thing is he likely won't be that in a few years.

Apparently when Cowen was called out by Murray and Cameron due to his lackluster play he did not believe he needed to change anything. I severely doubt he turns in to anything remotely useful...

Out of all of those pieces, I was most upset to lose Milo- I could easily see him turning in to a 2nd round pick at next years trade deadline.

holden57

Feb 3, 2011
Despite what you read on here, Dion is still a very useful player. 18-20ish minutes on the 2nd pairing will be great for him. Not a huge difference but his actually salary averages out closer to 6.5 million per than his 7 million cap hit. The last couple years could see him decline, but Ottawa has a much better top 4 the next 3 years.

Also anyone thinking Cowen is going to turn into something need to get a reality check. Never say never, but right now he is Girardi/Sbisa bad.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Anyone who thinks Cowen was acquired for ANY reason other than his unique contract (buyout of his contract results in a -650k/-750k "penalty" for 2016-17/17-18 respectively) is out to lunch.

He will be lucky to make it to the end of the season, he's a deadline asset for cap crunched teams, or he's an asset for Toronto in the sense of them moving Dion with not only 0% retention, but with an additional 650k in cap space for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad